Need Help With My Gasser!

ned1

errr well i recently posted a topic in gasgas about my gasser that is well f****d and people on here are saying its either ther big end or littlke end bearings although ive also been told by other peeps that it is something in the gear box so i need to know how to strip the engine basically.From stripping the piston and also splitting the cases a step by step guide would be beast if any one has the knowledge please please help me o and also please state any speical tools.

thankyou i am grateful for any help!

Ned1.

No disrespect intended but if you can't strip down the engine how do you expect to know what your looking for if it is the big or little end bearings, the gearbox is a complex piece of kit and cannot be simply explained using this forum.

I honestly believe that you will need to get someone with a motorbike mechanical back ground to help you out with this one or take it to a dealer to find out exactly what is wrong with it.

If you still intend to try and solve the problem yourself, then try and get hold of a parts diagram that shows the exploded views of the engine when it is broken down, depending on what year your bike is there are diagrams available from gasgas uk web site and also gasgas.com

Hope this helps. :D

well to be honest i dont have a clue what im looking for but there is a first time for everything.Im sure you had no idea whatsoever when you forst stripped an engine.I am not paying mechanics money for it stripping when i can have a go myself!

We all have t start somewhere as you say but it is inadvisible to do thie job without the assistance and guidance of someone who knows what they doing. Unless you are prepared to end up with a pile of bits, I would get a mechanic to do the job. Do you do your own plumbing and electrical work at home?

Good luck if you are going to embark on the project alone - let me know how much you want for the box of bits!

We all have t start somewhere as you say but it is inadvisible to do thie job without the assistance and guidance of someone who knows what they doing. Unless you are prepared to end up with a pile of bits, I would get a mechanic to do the job. Do you do your own plumbing and electrical work at home?

Good luck if you are going to embark on the project alone - let me know how much you want for the box of bits!

I agree. It could well save you a lot of time and money approaching a mechanic for advice.

Imagine if you stripped the motor right down just to find out that it only needed a small end bearing.

I agree. It could well save you a lot of time and money approaching a mechanic for advice.

Imagine if you stripped the motor right down just to find out that it only needed a small end bearing.

Imagine if a mechanic stripped the whole thing down only to find out that it only needed a small end bearing :D

I know what you mean - I'm in two minds. If you strip the barrel off, you're not too deep. At least you'll know if it's not the little end and you can always throw it at a mechanic later.

beamish owners club is offically a tit! have you ever stripped a gasser engine?and i am not selling any parts off it!i have got the engine out and onto the work bench...may dismantling proceed!...and kev hipwell has always helped me when i get stuck with things on my bike and im sure he'll help again!...hopefully!although any advice from any one on here is much apreciated! and like i hace said i am going to approach a mechanic for advice but this does not mean that im going to get one to do it unless i get really really really stuck.

Edited by ned1

Ned1.

If you ask for advice and it's not what you want to hear then that's your perogative not to take it, however if you ask for advice and then get crappy, like calling people a "tit" then don't expect to get too much help in the future.

If you have got the engine out and it's on the bench then you have done a lot already.

To check if the little end bearing is gone is pretty straight forward, remove the cylinder head and check the o-rings head gaskets, undo the barrel bolts and gently slide the barrel off the piston.

Take hold of the piston at the side where the gudgeon / little end bearing pin is and see if there is any up and down or side to side play. Remove one of the circlips and push out the pin, check for any scoring / rings etc on the pin, set the piston to one side. push out the little end bearing from the conrod and make sure all the needles form the bearing are intact.

If the bearing is obviously gone you will know, just replace it and the gudgeon pin, check the rings on your piston are free in the grooves.

When you go to put it back together use a large jubilee clip over the piston rings to keep them compressed enough to slide the barrel back over them, have a good look at your piston and you will see that in each groove there is an anti rotation pin to stop the rings from turning make sure the ends of the rings are located at these pins or you will damage the rings and barrel possibly.

Once the barrel is back on then torque up the bolts 15 lbs/ft, replace the head gasket o-rings and put the cylinder head back on, use a bit of grease in the o-ring grooves to hold them in place while you put the head on.

Question for you, was the noise from your bike like a top end rattling noise, did it get worse when going up hill?

I have experienced a similar noise on my bike and found that the carb air / fuel mixture was wrong and also if the water level in the radiator is low, you get like a boiling kettle noise and the top end rattles like hell if the water is low.

Anyway good luck with the rebuild and just take your time. :D

opdeweegh1 thanks alot! that was exactly what i was looking for! i called the guy a tit becuase all i wanted was an answer like yours explaining how to do the job, anyways i found what you have put really really helpful because i now have an insight into what may be wrong with the bike and how to check and fix it!my dad also say thanks alot!your help is much apreciated i will begin sometime this week and tell you how things are going....thanks again for your reply! :D

im going to take off the flywheel but i obviouly need a flywheel puller.so will a normal puller work ie.a 2 legged one or do i need a gasgas one?also where can i get one from at a resonable price or has any one on here got one i can buy?and has anyone made a tool so that you can remove the bolt from the middle?ie tool that fits in the two little holes on the fly wheel and if anyne has how did you make it? thanks chris

Chris.

For the flywheel puller it is a special tool that screws into the internal thread inside the centre hole of the flywheel. these can be bought online at BVM motos or www.trialsparts.co.uk or gasgas uk about 9 quid I think.

As for the tool to hold the flywheel while you remove the locking nut, these can easily be made from a piece of flat bar, say 3-4mm thick and 8-10" long. it needs to be wide enough for you to drill a hole in it just bigger than the centre hole on the flywheel to allow you to put a socket on the nut.

What to do is measure the distance between the 2 small holes and drill corresponding holes on the flat bar, using 2 nuts and bolts, say 4-5mm, bolt these into the holes on the flat bar to make a type of fork, drill the larger hole between the 2 smaller holes to correspond with the flywheel bolt hole. Place the fork tool into the 2 small holes on the flywheel allowing you to put a socket through the big hole in the middle to remove the locking nut from the flywheel.

Hope it helps. :D

does anybody know the correct size fly wheel puller for my bike?its an 05 125cc gasgas.

thanks chris

phoned kev at gasgas its a 27mm diameter and a 1.0 thread pitch..thanks kev!

Edited by ned1