what "positive features" do you think they will have

borus

Two-stroke engines in personal watercraft in California are certified as "low emission"

vehicles but they rely on "direct injection" EFI where the injectors are located in the

head and the throttle body modulates air intake and houses sensors.

Jon

How do they lube the big and small ends and the mains?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do they lube the big and small ends and the mains?

As I understand, they use an oil injection system and special formulation

oils made just for PWC use. The new oil injection systems are a lot more

sophisticated than the old ones most of us remember with distain (and

quickly disconnected for competition use).

The PWC engines tend to operate at more consistant temps as one is essentially

skating across the top of a huge cooling system that remains at a fairly

constant temperature.

Jon

Bottom end filled with oil like a 4 stroke? But the combustion is 2 stroke?

That would be the ideal but you'd lose the bottom end as a pump. Well, you'd get lots of oil being pumped into the cylinder through the transfer ports. As far as I know marine 2 stroke deisels do it by blowing the charge into the cylinder so crankcase compression isn't needed.

That would be the ideal but you'd lose the bottom end as a pump. Well, you'd get lots of oil being pumped into the cylinder through the transfer ports. As far as I know marine 2 stroke deisels do it by blowing the charge into the cylinder so crankcase compression isn't needed.

No transfer ports. All oil stays in bottom end and transmission like a 4 stroke. Basically just mix fuel and air in the compression chamber. All that would be there is the intake port direct to cylinder from carb and exhaust port.

Hold on, I may have found a flaw in that theory. As the piston goes up the cylinder does the piston completely block off the exhaust port. If not then there would be a "hole" directly to the bottom end where the oil is and it would all go into the exhaust pipe. But if piston seals the exhaust port this should work.

Somebody let me know if this makes sense or if I have had too many :beer: I can tear down an engine, replace what is broke and put it back together..........but some of the actual theory and design is a bit lost on me sometimes.

Hold on, I may have found a flaw in that theory. As the piston goes up the cylinder does the piston completely block off the exhaust port. If not then there would be a "hole" directly to the bottom end where the oil is and it would all go into the exhaust pipe. But if piston seals the exhaust port this should work.

You catch on quickly :D

Problem is that a 2T HAS to have the air "forced" into the chamber because the piston is going UP when the charge is needed.

If a 2 stroke came before the FIMs technical committee today it would be classed as a supercharged engine.

I think from memeory that the Honda version released the fuel and air into the combustion chamber after the piston had closed off the exhaust port on the way back up. That way no unburnt fuel gets out.

this is me trying to recall the article in Motor Cycle News from about 1990 and now trying to picture it in my head so forgive if i'm talking more cobblers than usual.

I know we're getting off the OSSA topic, but in the absence of available info on the OSSA, I guess we'll pull on this thread till it breaks.

In years past, both marine and road-going two-stroke diesels have used the supercharger to scavenge the cylinders, mainly the positive displacement "Roots" type, like the GMC. During my teen-age racing years in the 50's/60's we used to patrol the truck wrecking yards for cast off engines and take the superchargers off the two-strokes, the "8/71" being the prize at the time, to use on our drag engines after modifying them somewhat.

They were classified as to displaced volume, usually 3/71 to 14/71, with a "3/71" for a "3" cylinder engine of not more than "71" cubic inches per cylinder, an "8/71" for an "8" cylinder engine of not more than "71" cubic inches per cylinder etc.

Jon

ps. I'm still looking forward to seeing the OSSA in person, I'm sure the details are as nice as the overall unique design.

Ask away I've been on it.

Nigel,

You've probably rode just about all the available bikes through the years,

if you were to compare the OSSA to a modern bike in terms of ergonomics

and "feel", what modern production bike is the OSSA most like?

Jon

No Mr Dabster was not the only one to ride it I had a ride at midday and was quite danted to ride it given all the hype/talk over the preceding months of press talk. I jumped on it nervously, it rides softer than other bikes but not dissimilar to an evo in feel, at first I felt that I was higher up than normal but then I realised that this was due to not having a petrol tank in the usual position. Having then ridden it for a short while I became very confident/comfortable on it, the suspension is so forgiving it seems to just float over things. I liked it.