using WD40 on chain? or chain lube

mickmc

Hi there

do any of you recommend using WD40 on the chain, when trialing, asking because been using chain lube and it's a nightmare trying to get the mud out of the chain because it sticks to the lube

what do reckon, might i be better using the WD40, or would that not protect it enough

thanks

Ive spent a day cleaning my back wheel, swinging arm, front drive cog, chain guide and chain after using chain lube !!! I now jet wash aswell but just use motor oil in a lil oil can and its perfect. Yes a lil sprays around if i use to much but its easily cleaned off with some soapy water :banana2:

Hi there

do any of you recommend using WD40 on the chain, when trialing, asking because been using chain lube and it's a nightmare trying to get the mud out of the chain because it sticks to the lube

what do reckon, might i be better using the WD40, or would that not protect it enough

thanks

Hello,

I use differential oil and apply with a syringe. A litre lasts about 1 1/2 years so it's cheap. I figured that if it can cope with pimion and ring gear contact it should be okay on a chain. I have been using it on all my offroad bikes for 7 years now.

Thanks.

As a manufacturer of aerosol chain lubes I can confirm that the ideal solution for trials is gear oil. Most aerosols are designed for the bigger road market. When your chain is being flung around the sprockets at high speed you need to add a tackyfier to keep it on the chain and to cope with heat. This tackyfier tends to build up after frequent applications which isn't a big issue when you have 100+ BHP!

I have various types of bikes and use a refined light oil that leaves no residue on the offroaders. Aerosol application is the best method as the liquid propellant thins the oil so it penetrates right to the core, then quickly evaporates. It's easy to apply, wont spill or get contaminated. WD40 will stop your chain corroding after washing but isn't really robust enough to combat wear.

Bignose

Yoshimoto

As a manufacturer of aerosol chain lubes I can confirm that the ideal solution for trials is gear oil. Most aerosols are designed for the bigger road market. When your chain is being flung around the sprockets at high speed you need to add a tackyfier to keep it on the chain and to cope with heat. This tackyfier tends to build up after frequent applications which isn't a big issue when you have 100+ BHP!

I have various types of bikes and use a refined light oil that leaves no residue on the offroaders. Aerosol application is the best method as the liquid propellant thins the oil so it penetrates right to the core, then quickly evaporates. It's easy to apply, wont spill or get contaminated. WD40 will stop your chain corroding after washing but isn't really robust enough to combat wear.

Bignose

Yoshimoto

not much lube in wd40 good to use after you wash the bike.use chain lube after it,and leave it to soak .the time you go to a trial it wont fling of. using wd40 will only result in chain and sprokets,chain pad and chain guide wearing out quicker. you should get at least a year or more when lubed correctly.

I don't use wd-40 because it attracts dirt and dust like crazy (it's dry where I live). And I agree that it is not thick enough to prevent wear

You see, one thing about the WD seems you can powerwash the chain, apply, then let it set so all the carriers evaporate off. Re apply mid week if needed.

I never ride right after spraying it, as it will attract dry dust and dirt, but soo will most anything else. Only time I might re apply when riding would be in a wet muddy trial, so wet that if is does sling off it makes no difference.

I do not think the extreme pressure lubrication properties are the best, and the TRI-FLOW may have advantage,yet with similar properties of carrier evaporation. Just seems to last a bit longer.

I have used both or either, and I never replace chains. My orig is still on the '07 bike, and only half through the adjustment range and sprockets look fine.

I do think one of the big things is to periodically perform a thorough cleaning of the chain to get the dirt and abraisives out of the rollers and links. I simply use mineral spirits in a pan, soak it, brush it, then flog the hellovit a few times till the chain FEELS smooth and not gritty! Slam it on the ground to get the stuff to move! May take a bit! Literally work the gritty abrasive out!

Then you can even wire brush any rust off the plates to freshen up. Let the dirt settle out the original pan, pour off the clean solvent for a final rinse and store it for other cleaning uses. Blow the chain dry, then re apply the lube.

Bottom line, keep it clean!

I have found that WD40 works well for my o-ring chain equipped trail bike, but on my non o-ring trials bike chain i use Repsol chain lube. I hold a rag under the chain to keep the excess oil off the wheel and swingarm during application and apply it a small section at a time until oiling the chain is complete. It dosent fling off and make a mess and lasts at least four 3 hour rides. It's good stuff.