Early Pre-65 Scottish Trials

laird387

Hi,

Another cataloguing dilemma? The official Entry List suggests this is Patrick Bourgeois from Belgium riding a 250 DOT in the 2010 Pre-65 Scottish - the image is clearly a rider on a 250 James - so is it a machine change or a rider change - can anyone help.

Otherwise enjoy this Jack Knoops photograph.

(stuhc says: This pic is of Roger Callaghan, Dublin, Ireland on a 250 James.)

Thanks for that - our catalogue is amended - glad you like the pics - Deryk)

post-19290-0-98963700-1403937176_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

In the 2011 Pre-65 Scottish this is, allegedly, Nick Smith from Colyton riding a Tiger Cub. There are facial similarities with the Nick Smith from Colyton that I rode with back in the 1990s, but I'm not convinced.

Enjoy this Jack Knoops photograph.

post-19290-0-67639500-1403939135_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Another face from the past, Doug Williams with his Royal Enfield Crusader spotted by Jack Knoops in the 2009 Pre-65 Scottish.

I rode with Doug in pre-65 trials in his Taunton area frequently in the 1980's.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-86928700-1403945336_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Deryk

The Norton was built as one of three by my father in the early seventies, I have Talmag badges continuously from 1975 and the year I won it overall on a rigid on the special test was 1982, Geoff Chandler and I always competed for the rigid class but I am not sure when or if he won it outright.

I first rode the Norton in Scotland in 1986 and according to my records it has completed 42 days in Scotland without retiring, including welding the footrest one day and another year rebuilding a wheel on the Mamore Road.

One day I should get my notes in order as I think 2014 was the last time I will ride it in Scotland, compare 2014 on 160 marks over two days to 2000 as 25 marks over two days.

Clive

Deryk

The Norton was built as one of three by my father in the early seventies, I have Talmag badges continuously from 1975 and the year I won it overall on a rigid on the special test was 1982, Geoff Chandler and I always competed for the rigid class but I am not sure when or if he won it outright.

I first rode the Norton in Scotland in 1986 and according to my records it has completed 42 days in Scotland without retiring, including welding the footrest one day and another year rebuilding a wheel on the Mamore Road.

One day I should get my notes in order as I think 2014 was the last time I will ride it in Scotland, compare 2014 on 160 marks over two days to 2000 as 25 marks over two days.

Clive

Clive,

Thanks for that, I was fairly sure you actually deserve a Long Timers Badge for your Kinlochleven activities!

If you do write your notes up, drop me a photocopy and I'll do a feature in one of the upcoming ORRe magazines - complete with photorecord - 'cos you smiled for Mary and I more than once!

Enjoy - and thanks again.

Deryk

Hi,

Another day - another Cub!

Spotted in the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish, Benoit Saint Venant, a french visitor, with his Cub.

Photographed by Jack Knoops.

Enjoy

(stuhc says: This is Chris Hampshire, Drogheda, Ireland on a Bantam.)

Thanks again, stuhc, its difficult to tell head on, especially since the Bantam hub is virtually identical to some of the ones fitted on Cubs. Even better I've hunted through the archive and found a nice sideways on shot of Chris on the second day, which I am using in ORRe Issue 2 which will be out in a few days. Deryk

post-19290-0-66938900-1404135206_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

A very interesting machine spotted by Jack Knoops in the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish is this 500cc Bullet ridden by Samuel Cook, a member of the Eastern Fourstroke Association so may well have fallen under the Ian Preedy influence?

Any details of the bike - anybody. It looks like an after-market cylinder to me???

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-34419100-1404136129_thumb.jpg

This pic is of Roger Callaghan, Dublin, Ireland on a 250 James.

Great pics!

Hi,

Another cataloguing dilemma? The official Entry List suggests this is Patrick Bourgeois from Belgium riding a 250 DOT in the 2010 Pre-65 Scottish - the image is clearly a rider on a 250 James - so is it a machine change or a rider change - can anyone help.

Otherwise enjoy this Jack Knoops photograph.

Edited by stuhrc

This is Chris Hampshire, Drogheda, Ireland on a Bantam.

Hi,

Another day - another Cub!

Spotted in the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish, Benoit Saint Venant, a french visitor, with his Cub.

Photographed by Jack Knoops.

Enjoy

Hi,

Another rider and/or machine change allowed after the official entry lists had been published means that we can't identify this rider. We know it is the 2005 Pre-65 Scottish but we are certain this is not Dave Freemantle riding a 250 Cotton!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help, please. Photo: Jack Knoops.

The main reason for attempting to get the archive catalogue accurate is that I shall be using many of the Pre-65 Scottish images over the years that the event has been run in the new ORRe magazine I am publishing in conjunction with 'tc', as a supplement to the history of the Scottish itself in a serialised and refreshed version of the 'Lochaber Rich Mixture' book that I published in May 2000 and is now seen on eBay for lotsa money. ORRe will get it with many more added images that I couldn't find space for first time round - as well as all the Pre-65 images.

Watch this space - as they say..........

Enjoy.

(Post #86 is George Emmott from Keighley, West Yorkshire. Regards Sparks2)

Thanks for that sparks. Deryk

post-19290-0-96833400-1404484182_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

Another puzzle picture - because of a rider/machine change - the entry list says Bill Maxwell/Ariel HT5 - well It doesn't look like the Bill Maxwell I knew and I don't think an HT5 motor will fit inside a Tiger Cub unit!!!!!!!!

From the 2006 Pre-65 Scottish - can anyone throw some light.

And, sad to admit, I know the spectator in the black suit with the distinguished grey hair sitting watching - but can I remember his name. My sincere apologies but can anyone help?

Photo by Jack Knoops - enjoy.

post-19290-0-03585600-1404485801_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Another rider and/or machine change allowed after the official entry lists had been published means that we can't identify this rider. We know it is the 2005 Pre-65 Scottish but we are certain this is not Dave Freemantle riding a 250 Cotton!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help, please. Photo: Jack Knoops

Hi Deryk

Post #86 is George Emmott from Keighley West Yorkshire.

Regards

Sparks2

Edited by sparks2
  • Like 1

Hi,

Another puzzle picture - because of a rider/machine change - the entry list says Bill Maxwell/Ariel HT5 - well It doesn't look like the Bill Maxwell I knew and I don't think an HT5 motor will fit inside a Tiger Cub unit!!!!!!!!

From the 2006 Pre-65 Scottish - can anyone throw some light.

And, sad to admit, I know the spectator in the black suit with the distinguished grey hair sitting watching - but can I remember his name. My sincere apologies but can anyone help?

Photo by Jack Knoops - enjoy.

Is the distinguished spectator Joe Morgan ?