Ossa Reliability Issues?

stpauls

A lot may depend on dealer support. We have a great dealer in NE England. They let me take a bike out to try around sections of a trial. It was nice to ride handled similar to gas gas, I deliberately stalled it to see how it started, no problem. Only sticking point for some, may be, price (new) and re-sale.

I'm hoping mine would get more than that,

mine has the 2013 rear suspension set up

and a 2013 wiring loom which moves the ecu

to under the seat and gives more room in

the air box, and the filter is miles easier to

change/clean

it sold for 2300 that's what its worth (?) that's $4155.

Yes but you pointed at it as an example when the price wa $2100. If there was only one bid at the entry $1500 mark would you have still said that is what it's worth? Because everyone knows it has higher value than that. In this case I think it went cheap at $2300 but that's exactly what you get with an auction, it is not a true representation of actual value.

EBay is just one place in the World to sell but its obviously so inconsistent and gets rubbish prices a lot of the time. At that moment it was the best price that eBay could reach but that's all. It didn't prove anything , only that none was motivated to buy from eBay , that bike at that moment.

I think there's still a lot of people who wouldn't touch eBay and would happily pay dealer prices which are much higher than EBay. That is how dealers pay the rent , or not as the case may be. I think most people buying an Ossa or any other modern trials bike would want to see it close up before they commit . With this in mind , would possible bidders really travel a good distance to view the bike , then come away again to bid ? . Nope.. It often turns out to be a waste of time.

Buyers want a bike they can buy , not a bike they can drive to view then miss out on.

So, in many ways EBay sellers shoot themselves in the foot on auctions and its only good for bargain hunters and those willing to take a chance if the bikes local to them.

Other than that , it's flawed and fetches poor prices.

Edited by gasgas249uk

If you want/need to sell a bike and no dealers will part ex your bike then sometimes e bay is the way to go. It isn't a happy hunting ground for most but as 249 says if you are prepared to travel its ok if you check the bike first.

Its the auction value but there is no getting away from the fact that some other makes are easier to sell than second hand ossas and this one has had its gearbox replaced under warranty.

So based on your previous analogy of "worth" then this 2013 example must be "worth" 1550 quid as that is what the bidding is currently at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSSA-TR280I-/331121663645?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4d18639e9d

The auction hasn't finished yet so when it does that's what its worth on e bay at that moment, yes? Its not an analogy its a fact.

Edited by nigel dabster

If you want/need to sell a bike and no dealers will part ex your bike then sometimes e bay is the way to go. It isn't a happy hunting ground for most but as 249 says if you are prepared to travel its ok if you check the bike first.

Its the auction value but there is no getting away from the fact that some other makes are easier to sell than second hand ossas and this one has had its gearbox replaced under warranty.

The auction hasn't finished yet so when it does that's what its worth on e bay at that moment, yes? Its not an analogy its a fact.

It's true - eBay finds a true level for lots of stuff in an auction situation

Some of the classified ads are unrealistic though, like the TY250S Mono that went on last night at £2500 :), with crap pics & an even worse description

I'm sure dealers also watch eBay too, to gauge the market for particular bikes & models

The Ossa looks a trick bike & I'm sure it rides well - maybe a bit radical for some though, hence the 2nd hand prices in a more limited market

You have just confirmed what I said, in your first reply to the original poster you indicated that the "resale" value was 2100 pounds when the auction had not even ended, thus giving an entirely false idea to a potential purchaser as ultimately that was not its "resale" value.

If you had waited until the auction had ended then yes, that would have been its "resale" value at that time, but resale value at a particular moment is not equal to actual value. As someone else pointed out, bikes from a dealer are always higher, does this mean that dealers are ripping everyone off?

I don't want to get into a big thing here dabster but sometimes I think you post just to see how big a reaction you can cause. One of the big issues often debated on here is the viability of manufacturers, you do no one any favours by bad mouthing or devaluing products.

I havnt confirmed anything I was trying to expand on how e bay works in case there is anyone other than you (280i) that doesn't understand it.

I am flattered that you think any comment on here could devalue a manufacturer, really? If (really big if) that were the case all it could do would be to transfer the purchase to another make, whats wrong with that?

I had answered the original question truthfully and had you not gone off on a tangent questioning my simple short post to let the guy look for himself at the ebay listing then that would have sufficed.

Edited by nigel dabster

Ebay is deemed by some dealers to be an indicator of value when you ask for a part exchange price against a new bike. In terms of cash something is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it. What the owner of a bike thinks it is worth is a different thing. We can all defend our favourite brands on tc but ultimately it's the next owners valuation that counts.