Alpinestar Vs Forma

markmark

I was not entirely joking when I made #2.

I have alpinestars for MX and they generally stay dry, have stiff soles and therefore pretty tough.

Many years ago I had the old very thick leather black alpinestar trials boots and they were reasonably tough even when wet.

My present boots are Gaerne and are thinnish and very soft when wet.

The soles started to fall off my sons Gaernes well before they were worn out.

I have yet to find a modern trials boot that offers good protection when it has been wet for a while. Several makes become little stronger than chamois leather after a couple of hours in a typical UK winter trial.

I know boots are more comfortable and give better feel on the bike but they do not offer much protection.

Safety wellies are made and tested to meet stringent impact and penetration standards. Trials boots protection falls well short of these standards.

• Like 1

I was not entirely joking when I made #2.

I have alpinestars for MX and they generally stay dry, have stiff soles and therefore pretty tough.

Many years ago I had the old very thick leather black alpinestar trials boots and they were reasonably tough even when wet.

My present boots are Gaerne and are thinnish and very soft when wet.

The soles started to fall off my sons Gaernes well before they were worn out.

I have yet to find a modern trials boot that offers good protection when it has been wet for a while. Several makes become little stronger than chamois leather after a couple of hours in a typical UK winter trial.

I know boots are more comfortable and give better feel on the bike but they do not offer much protection.

Safety wellies are made and tested to meet stringent impact and penetration standards. Trials boots protection falls well short of these standards.

Then you should try the Alpine Stars no stops. Great boots in all conditions.

Ive tried both, Forma are a little lighter and smaller and dare i say more waterproof when you cover them in balm, but the Astars are way better, comfier, better grip and fit better.

I'm on my third pair now and at £185 there a little cheaper than the Forma

Have used both, rode the same bike in both. I have also sold both makes for years. My preference always relates to fit, as I find the quality very much the same. Personally, I always found the Alpines to be a slimmer fit, the Formasare a wider fit. Hope this helps.

Edited by rossy_

I am not speaking from personal experience here but I have heard that sheep can escape from wellies a bit easy but once a boot is clamped up there is no escape.

As for not clobbering things at 40mph on trials bikes that's not quite the case round here. Quite frequently we do over 25 in bracken, heather or rushes that hide rocks and all sorts of obstacles. I have had to have toenails removed and have torn ankle and foot ligaments as a result of hitting hidden items.

Sheeps back legs don't fit down the front of ya trials boots either!!!!

I am not speaking from personal experience here but I have heard that sheep can escape from wellies a bit easy but once a boot is clamped up there is no escape.

As for not clobbering things at 40mph on trials bikes that's not quite the case round here. Quite frequently we do over 25 in bracken, heather or rushes that hide rocks and all sorts of obstacles. I have had to have toenails removed and have torn ankle and foot ligaments as a result of hitting hidden items.

I have a neighbor from up yall's way, his family name is Toth.

He cruises the backroads looking for sheep with heads stuck in the fence. He said he prefers cowboy boots because of the loose fit. He's a fairly big guy so he's not really worried about them slipping out, but I'll let him in on your clamping technique. Who knows, he may buy a pair of trials boots. :chairfall: