Fuel Tank Tap Outlet Stripped - Any Fixes

pearson23

As you say,If there is enough metal then you could cut a new thread in  the next size larger - metric or imperial thread size .

This will only work if you can find another fuel tap with a matching thread pattern.

Maybe you could try a Helicoil insert ? to repair the existing thread , this way you could still use the original fuel tap.

It has thread on the outside, so that will be difficult. If its not to bad you can try to seal it with something that can take gasoline.

There is this tape for air and water hoses etc. maybe something like that? Something like rescue tape?

Otherwise take it to a machine shop for a fix.

Edited by crazybond700

Sorry, I thought this was about an internal thread   :hyper: .

So Helicoil wont work ,

unless someone makes something similar to go over external threads {never seen any, but they could exist}

how about glueing an outlet pipe into what you have and then using an inline fuel tap ?

Edited by djr

You can maybe adjust the nut away from the tap so it bites into more thread on the tank, Iv'e done this in the past on a bike that had the same problem, The tap may clamp up in a different position and make it awkward but if it works you can at least ride it.

All a bit late now I suppose, but I wonder if the tap "female" screws on to a "male" threaded piece that also goes into the female threaded outlet in the tank, It looks like it on my 2012, but could be wrong. If so then this is the part to change.......maybe.

Cheers Taff.

On mine, the hexagon sleeve/nut between the tank and the tap is threaded left handed on the tap and right handed on the tank so you can position the tap to face the right way and there is a ptfe sealing washer in side it, 

You may be able to get one more turn of the sleeve onto the tank and then screw the tap on.

One proper fix would be to remove the tank outlet (cut off & drill out) and install a fitting called a tank connection. (a single ended bulkhead connector with a locking nut) 

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions.

After racking my brains and trying to figure out which are feasible the only solution to fix the problem without having to buy a new tank I think is to actually weld the nut to the male part of the tank (where the threads are stripped) leaving enough thread on the nut exposed so I can still screw/unscrew the actual fuel tap to allow me to seperate the tank from the bike if needed!

Fingers crossed it will work!

I doubt welding it will work. The nut looks like it is die-cast zinc or pot metal same as the tap. That won't weld very well to the aluminium tank outlet.

If you do end up welding, You might have to consider getting a new male threaded outlet machined up (from aluminium) and then weld that into the tank.

Chris.