New 4Rt, Standard Or Repsol?

hugh_b

I'm currently looking at buying a new 4rt, never had a 4 stroke trials bike but had Honda mx bikes and they've always been well engineered!

Is the repsol worth the extra money? I've been looking at new 2016 bikes but can get a 2015 repsol new for around £700 less than the 2016 so that's another option.

I'm just getting back into riding but used to ride at just expert club and and centre level.

Any advice appreciated.

I think this is a lifestyle question not a performance question. Do you need a Repsol or do you want one? Also age & money come into the equation. I've got plenty of age so I plan to take my 25% tax free lump sum from a personal pension and buy a new/nearly new trials bike. (There isn't enough for a new Lambourghini)

I've had standard 4RT's for the last 10 years and cannot possibly get the best out of one. I've never had a Repsol but I've always wondered what they're like. So my next bike will be a 4RT Repsol. Not because I need one but because I want one! So in summary choose what suits your pocket/lifestyle. All new trials bikes are fantastic.

• Like 2

I think this is a lifestyle question not a performance question. Do you need a Repsol or do you want one? Also age and money come into the equation. I've got plenty of age so I plan to take my 25% tax free lump sum from a personal pension and buy a new/nearly new trials bike. (There isn't enough for a new Lambourghini)

I've had standard 4RT's for the last 10 years and cannot possibly get the best out of one. I've never had a Repsol but I've always wondered what they're like. So my next bike will be a 4RT Repsol. Not because I need one but because I want one! So in summary choose what suits your pocket/lifestyle. All new trials bikes are fantastic.

Great response and very accurate.  The Repsol or even the new 300rr will not make you ride any better, it is all about what you want to spend.  They are all excellent bikes.

A local very expert Montesa rider told me the new standard model he rode had bouncier suspension then the Repsol so suited riders who moved the bike about a lot. 

I tried it and immediately fell off!

Definitely a Marmite (Aus = Vegemite) experience, love or hate.

For me the (rear) Showa suspension made me choose for the Repsol, and I'm also glad my next 300RR still has a rear Showa damper.
But of course, for us mere mortals any 4RT is more than enough.
Buy what you can afford or, if money is not a problem, the one you like the most.

It's a personal choice but for me I think the standard bike actually looks better than the repsol, I've rode both and I actually thought the standard bike felt better, I know the repsol has better suspension etc but for the average rider most couldn't tell any difference

Thanks guy's, I went to St Blazey mx yesterday and came away with a new 2015 Repsol at a substantial discount over a 2016 which for all intents and purposes looks identical. 

Very happy and can't wait to get back out and try it!

Thanks guy's, I went to St Blazey mx yesterday and came away with a new 2015 Repsol at a substantial discount over a 2016 which for all intents and purposes looks identical. 

Very happy and can't wait to get back out and try it!

Congrats and welcome to the 4rt gang -you won't be disappointed

When the Repsol first came out they used to be the one to have with the add ons and PTB etc.. Having just swapped from a well sorted 09 std 4rt to a new std 2015 I think maybe the difference is much closer -I really like the new front end and have no complaints over the rear.

So as big bro the lucky one says - have what you want and what makes you feel good. Either way they are both more than good enough  in the sections. just spend the time to learn the beat ways to ride them.

The 300 RR though may be bit of a beast - it might take you in a spit you out  or may be a pussy cat - time will tell but never felt the 250 /260 lacking unless you are a BTC/WC level. 

Enjoy the new purchase  - I'm sure we will help if you have any other questions

PS my last 2 Montesa/Honda cost me about £250/year depreciation - no wonder mont riders have a smile on there faces

• Like 1