All Our Yesterdays

April 27th 1979 a lad, or lass for that matter could buy a TMX news for 18p and catch up on what's happening in the world of trials, long way from getting the results and gossip as it happens on the internet, but a black and white TV was still common in most households.

Well in this issue, you could buy a new Bult from your dealer for 879 quid including the dreaded vat. You got twice as much iron for your money, two shocks twice the fuel capacity and twice the weight of today's scoots, but not much else has changed.

Two young lads were tops at Waterside.

Bultaco mounted Steve Saunders won the fourth round of the ACU's trials championship, the 14 yr old trailing Andrew Gardner 175 Fantic at the halfway stage of the event put in a determined second half ride to take top honors,

Saunders now leads the championship by a good margin after Glen scholey 250 Bult could only manage 5th on the day.

None starter Graham Haslam tore out a finger nail in a pre event warm up the day before.

Tony Scarlet, 175 Yamaha showed everyone why he was the top intermediate.

Runner up Steve Brownlee, first class awards, Mark Holland on 88, Graham Tales 89, Glen Scoley 100, Kevin Hart 106, Andy Gardner 112.

In next weeks all our yesterdays the Victory trial gets the V sign from top runners!!

The biggest disaster for years that was...........

Edited by ishy

Ah!! 79 what a year, bourght my first trials iron, a ty250 for 699 pounds (crazy prices) from Eddie Grimsteads in EastHam just of the A13. Had my first trial two weeks later in #Tenterdon# Kent, Got pulled up by the police on the road getting to the first section, had some old geezer, Lampkin I think his name was? pull up behind us and calm the irrate plod down. Continued on my merry way and fived most of the sections for the rest of the day and dented the tank. I know I should have done better, ask anyone how they went on thier first trial and most say they got a first class award !!!!! Well the wheel has turned full circle and here I am in sunny Aus and after many a trials bike and a few good trials under my expanding belt and I have just purchased another Yam, an SY250 (I wish it was still 699!!!!) All I have to do now is crack the tank, get done by the plod, and five most sections, well one out of three ain't bad....

Along the same lines....................

If you're not smiling by the end of this, then what were you doing when you were young?

Just for a minute, forget everything stressful and read this...............

Close your eyes and go back in time...

Before the Internet...

Before semi-automatics, joyriders and crack....

Before SEGA, Super Nintendo or Play Station

• Like 1

As a schoolboy rider, my dad bought me my first new bike a 'red speedblock tanked' Yamaha TY175 - FTT328V where are you now?? Dead and Buried??

I knew nothing about it until walking out of the schoolgates at 3.50pm........there she was, on the back of the trailer - a beauty. How lucky and proud was I........chuffed to bits, couldn't sum it up

Trials as a Schoolboy, growing up in Devon was a big thing. At least 20 of us from school did it and instead of Rugby/Football for annual House competitions, we set up a Trial and got the other kids in our year to observe it and mark us.

True.........how cool was that - Trials as part of the general school curriculum.

OK in early 80's - never would be allowed in the 'nanny state' PC, post Y2K world we now find ourselves living in :rolleyes:

Life was way better then!!!

Edited by Johnnyboxer

GIZZA5, that was just brilliant. I remember it all and I'm grinning away as it all comes back - except eating raw jelly - couldn't stand the stuff and still can't.

Water balloons - what a weapon. Remember sneaking into the Odeon Saturday matinee in Brum city centre as a naughty bunch of 15 year olds and launching a full volley of balloon water bombs into the audience from behind the partition at the back of the seats in the stalls. The timing was perfect, the lights had gone down, there was a hushed silence from the kids and their mothers waiting for the film to start. The bombs sailed silently through the air in the dark, signalling contact with their targets with a series of dull splats, very quickly followed by a chorus of 'waaaaaaaahhhhhhh' piercing the silence as umpteen wailing kids got drenched. Must have scared the hell out of the poor little b*ggers. Unfortunately one of the 'lads' had taken things a bit too far and had launched one or two eggs as well as balloons. He then covered our escape with a few lit bangers as we fled out of the emergency exit. All seems pretty tame now but secretly, I'd love to do it again...

The Chopper and Grifter thing! I remember all the poncy kids had the Choppers; they used to ride round with old CB aerials on the back!

The real fun was on a Grifter with a playing card or lolly stick stuck in the spokes to give it that authentic motorbike sound! Bullying your younger brother and his mates to lay under the jump you've made to see how many of them you could jump!

Pulling big skids everywhere and then getting told off by your dad. Then you'd have to go pleading to him because you needed a new back tyre. He'd tell you to bugger off and you'd have to resort to swapping the front tyre with the back!

And remember when the chain that selected the gear in the rear hub snapped? Stuck in top for the rest of the bikes life!!

bronzegrifter.jpg

choppermk2.jpg

Edited by boofont

all true, 1979/80 cota 123, practicing in the local woods , walkers stopping to watch, and not complain. riding bikes in "playing out jeans" which were so flared, left leg bottom all cut and oily from push bike chains. but whatever happened to white dog s**t ?

but whatever happened to white dog s**t ?

I was told it was to do with bones. Dogs used to get bones from butchers and the white turd was becasue of the calcium. Dogs these days don't tend to eat bones.

Edited by boofont
  • Like 1

Those were the days puch maxi rear wheel on your pushbike and a pair of motorcross handlebars with six inch nails bashed between them and the handlebar stem to hold them tight,no brakes but a worn out shoe from it being stuck between the frame and the rear tyre to stop,and a wonky pedal because of the knackered cottle pin,chaseing girls you liked with white dogs**t on a stick, :rolleyes: