Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigplonker

Pre-65 prices

6 posts in this topic

Retired to France a few years back. Kept my old TES Greeves in the belief that I might one day ride again. Maybe the Talmag. Maybe the Scottish Pre-65. Maybe some classic French trial. Didn't happen though. Sold the bike and reluctantly accepted that my trials-riding days were over. Since then, as one does, I've been trawling the sales ads for interesting pre-65 and twinshock bikes, just out of curiosity. Seems that there are less and less good 'uns available, so more and more must be mothballed in old blokes' (and lassies') garages. And, crikey, how the prices have steadily risen over the last decade or two! Eight grand for a Cub. Ten grand for a 350 CCM. Fifteen grand for an HT5. Who buys these bikes and do they get ridden in trials or stashed away as investments? Spotted a gem yesterday in the 'Old Bike Mart'. Maurice Hocking's old 410 Matchless. Up for grabs at a smidgeon under thirteen. Last saw it advertised about ten years ago on eBay for six and a half (I think). So it's doubled in a decade. Lovely bike though. And a lovely bloke, Maurice. Anyways, I'll keep doing the lottery. Is anyone else amazed about these spiralling prices or is it just me being a doddery old git?    

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

It's the same with twin shocks especially Honda TL125, TLR, RTL, Bultaco, Montesa, Yamaha. They have gone up over a £1000 in a year and some twice that. Even the mediocre ones are being asked stupid amounts of money based on the rarity value of Merlin, Mecatecno etc.

Edited by johnsandywhite

You doddering old git......just build one yourself.........to suit you..................One bit at a time.....It's cheaper that way.....Chuckle chuckle C15's RULE !!

;) XXX

I'm glad your still enjoying France,  I am looking for observers for a trial .. spring next year here in Sarlat. I will even provide you with a nice little runner to get you to your zone... Oh and as for prices, asking is one thing, getting is another. I do however agree it seems the prices of  the Spanish Marques are on the rise and not just the last Bultaco's.. perhaps people now fancy something other than a Fantic or Honda.

1 person likes this

Have to agree that asking prices are one thing , selling prices another .

about once a year a 350 CCM will come on ebay at a ridiculous price , lots of watchers but no bidders nearly every time

if you own a CCM ,you don't have it to ride, { it stays in the shed }      -   but you have to tell everyone that you own one and how much you think its worth

2 people like this

Just now, djr said:

Have to agree that asking prices are one thing , selling prices another .

about once a year a 350 CCM will come on ebay at a ridiculous price , lots of watchers but no bidders nearly every time

if you own a CCM ,you don't have it to ride, { it stays in the shed }      -   but you have to tell everyone that you own one and how much you think its worth

The value of things in terms of money ........How long would the antiques road show last if the items that were brought to the show were only of historic value not of oooooooh cash value

How many people would drink Champagne if it was sold for 99p a Magnum.

https://youtu.be/TsNnsniwFEA

1 person likes this