Sheffield On Tv

pancho247

Welcome Pancho!

I'm sure Andy will know for certain, but I recon 'cos it was independant and 'nowt to do with Octagon it won't be on Sky.

However, the videos on this site are far superior to the indoor trials usually shown on Sky.

Edited by RuffRider

There was a guy there from a local TV station, but I think that was just for local news. I really don't think Sheffield will appear on SKY.

The paying for video has raised a few questions. Let me explain why it's in place as it's not about making loads of dosh. I picked the wrong sport to ever do that! :D

Trials Central on an average day uses roughly 3GB of bandwidth.

In the three days since putting the Sheffield 2007 videos online Trials Central has used over 40GB of bandwidth - and that's just from registered Supporters.

If I was to open all photo and video content to the masses, that 40GB would multiply at least 100-fold. Firstly, that would cause the server to grind to a halt making it unavailable to anybody and secondly the bandwidth costs (I have a monthly allowance then have to pay per GB over that) could never be met - not even by the very valuable contribution made by TC Supporters. I would have to close the site - and I'm not kidding on that. The penalties for exceeding bandwidth limits are costly.

Whilst not as important, on top of that, I know that if it was all public and free it would be leeched by sites all over the world, the credit screens stripped out and all videos posted on YouTube etc with no links or credits to Trials Central and photos appearing everywhere, again uncredited. That's not really fair when it's myself and Trials Central users who do all the work and we all do it for the good of this site and the sport.

So, the Supporters thing is deliberately a small amount, but is mostly there to seperate the real enthusiasts from the file leechers whilst protecting the efforts made by both myself and those who help contribute and every penny is added to the fund for the cost of getting to and covering events, TC beer fund at Hawkstone etc.

On another note, I've just done a quick check as it's not just about Sheffield 2007. Supporters have access to the full archive of Supporters content, not just the stuff from the day they join. There's 3.8GB of Supporters content currently online, both photos and video from 2006 onwards covering SSDT, Pre-65, World Championship, European Championship, British Championship at Kinlochleven and TdN.

The site is a hobby and not a business, but the Supporters scheme helps keep things going whilst keeping the bandwidth usage restricted to those who really want the additional content and keeping the bandwidth costs under control.

Hope that explains why things are the way they are :huh:

• 3 weeks later...