Sad Loss For British Trials

I was informed today of the passing of a good friend and Yorkshire trials stalwart Norman Pickles.

I have known Norman since the first trial I ever rode, giving me advice on what line to take, and quick to point out it was my fault when I messed up, again this year at the SSDT, he was keeping me right on what line to take at Trotters burn, while he observed the section.

:rolleyes: cheers old lad, they don't come any better.

My sentiments entirely Ishy.

Norman complete with his pipe, is responsible for showing many a beginner myself included the best way through a section, and he was the first man I aimed to beat as I was learning my trade in the tough Yorkshire centre.

He was a true gent and character and will be sadly missed,

Thanks Norman RIP old pall,

Blackie.

Edited by 2fargone

That's him! :rolleyes:

On a personal note, we'll really miss Mr P around the office in SSDT week - he was always keeking round the door on his way past with some nonsense or other, winding us up or someone else up. He always had time for a laugh no matter how late he'd been on the hill or how early he'd been out in the morning - the place won't be the same without him.

I rode at yorkshire classic with norman for the last 10 or so years, he was the best part of 40 years older than me and although we rode virtually every weekend i guess i could count on one hand the number of times i beat him,

At the scottish this year I came across him observing on the top sub of a tricky section on the thursday morning.

we sat together as every rider passed up the section, I was impressed how he knew and in turn was known by and talked to virtually every rider as they walked and rode the hill, Martin Lampkin one of many who stopped to talk.

perhaps the highlight was when one of the many who looked at the hill and asked for a five, a foreign rider tired and eager to make the end of the day was persuaded by norman 'to have a go' , the guy cleaned it easy after a few chosen words from norman.

it was hard to say who got the most out of that clean, the tired rider who cleaned what he thought was as section too far or the smiling yorkshire man in his faded 'colin appleyard' sweatshirt.

Norman, was simply one the the nicest folk in trials, I like loads of other kids used him as a target to try and beat when I rode solos in the late 70's, and it took some doing. If I can be as young at heart and still riding and observing when I'm in my 70's I will be a very happy and lucky man. For all you interest and encouragement over the 30 odd years Thanks Norman you will be missed. Lusky

I for one will miss his "now then lass" banter. A true and dedicated enthusiast yet a Gentleman, albeit with a wicked sense of humour. A character the sport will miss greatly. A loss to UK and Yorkshire Trials. Our thoughts are with Margaret and the Family. All at Sandiford's -Montesa UK.

I rode at yorkshire classic with norman for the last 10 or so years, he was the best part of 40 years older than me and although we rode virtually every weekend i guess i could count on one hand the number of times i beat him,

At the scottish this year I came across him observing on the top sub of a tricky section on the thursday morning.

we sat together as every rider passed up the section, I was impressed how he knew and in turn was known by and talked to virtually every rider as they walked and rode the hill, Martin Lampkin one of many who stopped to talk.

perhaps the highlight was when one of the many who looked at the hill and asked for a five, a foreign rider tired and eager to make the end of the day was persuaded by norman 'to have a go' , the guy cleaned it easy after a few chosen words from norman.

it was hard to say who got the most out of that clean, the tired rider who cleaned what he thought was as section too far or the smiling yorkshire man in his faded 'colin appleyard' sweatshirt.

A lovely tale, the last paragraph says it all! Thanks for sharing it.

Observed at the Greybeards in Sussex yesterday, Noticed that Norman won this event in 1992 and 1996 on a gas gas.Does anyone know how old he would have been then (or now). This event uses a unique scoring system worked on riders age.