Beta 4-stroke

kinell

Since when have beta been known for quallity ? ive had 2 rev 3's 02 and 03and ive ridden the new beta's the past month or so and there still lacking in some well machined parts way too much cast aluminium i cant count the times that foot peg mounts rear brake leavers and gear change leavers have just sheered off and by now i would have thought that the tank would be made removable and that muffler made smaller and tucked away in the frame.

I think just because so many people have them dosnt mean that there a quallity bike ie every second person has a ford but they are far from well made.

my SY250f has more billet parts than you can poke a stick at all bolts have fibre washers and are allen head cap screws everything came greased and not over tightened didnt have to change out my footpegs unlike the scabby beta ones, takes 5 bolts to remove all tank and rear gaurd plastics the fuel tank airbox muffler carby and is easy to work on ..

yeh i understand its a shame so many people buy beta's they have the market sales i dont see why they cant do some r&d and upgrade some parts even change the frame if they cant afford to change the motor after 6 years to make the bike more user friendly, maybe they just dont want to allocate profit back into the bike since sales are still strong.. shame

Beta and Montesa have traditionally been seen as the two main brands that have produced quality bikes year in, year out. I agree with you about the Beta footpeg brackets being flimsy but gear levers and brake pedals are similar across all bikes - try going over the rocks and not through 'em :)

Why does the tank have to be removable? It doesn't get in the way of any maintenance so why?

Just because the Scorpa has a tidy exhaust doesn't mean that ALL other bikes are ****! The Beta carb can be removed with the tank, rear guard, airbox etc. all in place. I don't know much about the Scorpa so I won't get into a slanging match about who's bike is better.

Why is it a shame that so many people buy Beta's?

My guess is that they have good market share due to producing nice, solid, reliable bikes at a good price with excellent importer support.

In summary: -

Yer talking out yer :)

Edited by Kinell

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh i understand its a shame so many people buy beta's they have the market sales i dont see why they cant do some r&d and upgrade some parts even change the frame if they cant afford to change the motor after 6 years to make the bike more user friendly, maybe they just dont want to allocate profit back into the bike since sales are still strong.. shame

What Kinell says, plus: I'm pretty bike-agnostic, having ridden Gassers etc. in the past and I ride a Beta because it just works for me as a mediocre clubman-level rider. But it's hands-down the easiest bike to work on I've ever owned (including road and enduro bikes) and in every side-by-side comparison test I've ever seen, the Rev3 comes out on top. The bike HAS changed significantly since introduction but it's always been evolution, not revolution. The frame may look the same but the geometry's been altered and slimmed over the years. The engine is tweaked every year (porting, timing etc.) and the suspension has been significantly improved (my current 2006 is miles better than my old 2003 at the rear for example).

As for your comment re. engines: You realise the Yamaha motor in the SY250F is an (at least) 8 year old design? And the TYZ250 engine is 20+ years old?

I don't do the "your favourite bike sucks" stuff so don't start but you really didn't think your comments through, did you?

Every bike has its faults and with my former 03 Scorpa SY the air box was sealed with no drain point so water stays in the air box sloshing around. The carb was a nightmare to take off without a major strip of the bike. The Foot pegs were fitted so tight i had to file them to get them to move. The therostater wirers are in the firing line of the front wheel and rust very quickly, so the bike boils over. The throttle is mounted upside down. The exhaust (manifold) sticks out quite a way and i burnt my leg even with a guard on it, should i continue????...... No.... This doesn't mean i dislike the Scorpa and i'd buy another.

Edited by spud

Every bike has its faults and with my former 03 Scorpa SY the air box was sealed with no drain point so water stays in the air box sloshing around. The carb was a nightmare to take off without a major strip of the bike. The Foot pegs were fitted so tight i had to file them to get them to move. The therostater wirers are in the firing line of the front wheel and rust very quickly, so the bike boils over. The throttle is mounted upside down. The exhaust (manifold) sticks out quite a way and i burnt my leg even with a guard on it, should i continue????...... No.... This doesn't mean i dislike the Scorpa and i'd buy another.

It would be an interesting twist to see everyone shift from "Your favorite bike sucks" to "My favorite bike sucks".

Each of the bikes, along the way, that I have felt strongly about, (in that I really liked them), had some equally frustrating faults.

another point worth a mention

the lovelly exaust you talk about on the scorpa is impossible to re pack ,so after a year its knackered,out comes the welder.

i think the beta is the cheapest of the bunch at the momment,so the saving on continuous,and normally not esential developement is passed back to the customer,

I ride a Beta because it just works for me as a mediocre clubman-level rider. But it's hands-down the easiest bike to work on I've ever owned (including road and enduro bikes) and in every side-by-side comparison test I've ever seen, the Rev3 comes out on top.

Suppose it depends what level of work you're doing on the bike, I had a Rev-3 for a while and found it a hell of a lot easier to work on the Sherco when I got that, couple of screws and the tank and mudguard are totally out of the way.

When you look at all the bikes they are all so good now

genrally the design of them down to the way they ride

but as a total package they all seem to have

there niggly faults most of which are easily overcome

but for some reason it takes the manufacturers so

long to sort them out, problems that go on year after

year witout being rectified cant understand why

they don't listen to peoples feedback and act on it!

Seen this yet?

http://www.trialscentral.com/cms/showartic...?articleID=2645

It looks like Beta will soon be selling a 4 banger, will it be a borrowed engine from the likes of KTM or will it be a completely new home-grown motor? New frame with a separate fuel tank or built in as now?

When will it be on sale? Out in time for the SSDT maybe? :)

How much will it cost and more importantly, will it match the Mont in terms of solid build and reliability? I reckon it will as they've taken their time and not rushed the bike out like Sherco did for the SSDT in 04 (or was it 05?)

Can't wait to see some piccy's :)

Wow!

Over 400 replies so far, some good, some bad and some just plain silly :P

I picked mine up today so going back to the original questions: -

What? Very compact 4 stroke motor in a modified Rev-3 frame.

When? The first full batch of production models for sale now.

Where? All over the UK but don't expect to pop into your local dealer and simply buy one.

How Much?

Wow!

Over 400 replies so far, some good, some bad and some just plain silly :)

I picked mine up today so going back to the original questions: -

What? Very compact 4 stroke motor in a modified Rev-3 frame.

When? The first full batch of production models for sale now.

Where? All over the UK but don't expect to pop into your local dealer and simply buy one.

How Much?

Engine braking is almost non-existent just like a 2-stroke.

Interesting observation. Engine braking is one of the characteristics I like most in the two 4-stroke trials bikes I have had, so far. If Beta has gone a different path on this, then it opens up a choice for 2-stroke riders that want to switch to a 4-stroke that performs like their old 2-stroke.

I think that there are a lot of people that fall into this camp. They will get a 4-stroke when they can "make them as good as" (read "just like") my current 2-stroke. In the other camp are the riders that want a 4-stroke because it "is" (or has the characteristics of) a 4-stroke. Sounds as if Beta may have created a product that will help bring in more 4-stroke riders from the "other" camp, that Montesa & Scorpa have yet to reach.

Engine braking is almost non-existent just like a 2-stroke.

Interesting observation. Engine braking is one of the characteristics I like most in the two 4-stroke trials bikes I have had, so far. If Beta has gone a different path on this, then it opens up a choice for 2-stroke riders that want to switch to a 4-stroke that performs like their old 2-stroke.

I think that there are a lot of people that fall into this camp. They will get a 4-stroke when they can "make them as good as" (read "just like") my current 2-stroke. In the other camp are the riders that want a 4-stroke because it "is" (or has the characteristics of) a 4-stroke. Sounds as if Beta may have created a product that will help bring in more 4-stroke riders from the "other" camp, that Montesa & Scorpa have yet to reach.

agree.

There is a test that all new 4t owners should do with there new found climb on love toy (when having the sex change from 2t to 4t). The test is called the "MUD TEST" and you need to work it good getting down and dirty and make that baby spurt the juicy mud. But most of all share your experience for us none sex changed.

Edited by spud