Best Winter Tire

carl ekblom

I know there is a discussion about the best trials tire but what do you guys prefer during winter time when the ground may be frozen. IRC or Michelin? I guess Dunlop is out of question...or :hyper:

I think Michelin quickly loose its grip when the temperature is below 5 degrees C or so. Is it the same with IRC?

Carl

I,m pretty sure the pirelli tyres work well in cold/icy conditions, remember it being said a few years ago. I've not tried an IRC yet but may be my next choice of tyre as I have heard good things about them. Did nt like the Dunlop on rocks but it was good in the mud and grassy climbs, the Mich seems to be the best allround so far.

Eddie another stunning post mate? descriptive,informative and too the point! well done :(

Timp, you beat me to it mate, you must be nearly as old as me if you remember that one :D dont know myself if it still applies but may be worth a try in Jan/Feb

Edited by Betarev3

Pirelli MT43 performs a fair bit better on frozen or snowy ground as the harder compound bites in better than the softer compound of the others. If you can find an MT13, even better.... These are tubed tyres though. The MT73 was tubeless but never tried one of those.

try a Midas winter friction :( plenty of traction in the ice and snow or even cold

:D Mitas, do you mean?.. Gold tyres!.. King bling! :P

Seriously, from a while ago (10 maybe 12 years back) I remember that the Pirelli trials tyre was a **** poor effort in normal trials conditions but if you took it out in the deep snow it wouldn't clog like the dunlops or michelins.

I think this was down to the vee shape of the blocks (sidewall).

So therefore you could say it was a bit of a ripper not a gripper. ;)

Had a good ride today +0.5 degrees and some light snow comming from above. I really like it but the unpredictable grip makes the ride hazarderous.

So, apart from the good old Michelins we are left with two options: A ripper Pirelli or a gripper Mitas. I really don