Observing At Classic Events

paioli

When we send out the Championship conditions for the Sammy Miller and Classic rounds to the organisers of 07 rounds we will clearly state that it is a Non -Stop Trial.

We will ask them to emphasise to Observers that it is a Non Stop Trial.

We will also ask them to emphasise in their Supplementary Regs that is a Non Stop Trial.

I will look at the Standard Entry Form on ACU Web site - trouble is it may be just that ie Standard Entry form fopr all ACU events. Somewhere on this form if possible we shall put " Run under No-Stop Rules" - ior similar.

On ACU site - where we put title or details of series we will also inset somewhere " Non-Stop rules apply" etc.

That is a start - and should be fairly easy to do.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks John at least then the ACU have noted and recognised the problem.

Still think the observers should be reminded on the marking sheet NON STOP RULES APPLY in VERY large letters but that is a club issue i suppose not an ACU one.

Also think offending riders should be excluded and their names published as :D cheats.

rules and regulatons after a while need bringing back to the riders attention ,big bold print,clear and in

your face. and the one thing we all have to look at and sign is the entry form, no excusses from the rider

other then he can't read or he's blind !!!

thanks to john for looking into this issue which if left alone could have slowly manifested into a much

larger problem for the classic series and other classic/pre65 events.

and finaly thanks to all the other riders who have supported this issue all positive feedback, no cheap

shots, just strengh in numbers getting a good result :D

Hi

Been following this topic and think i can smell a wiff of bike bigotry/apartheid.

Let me try to explain my reasoning - I am a o-40 [nearer 50] mono sportsman rider who rides with mates, mostly on twinshocks [LFS 4 P no less] who could,nt hop skip or flip his bike even if you payed me. We all rode the Wye Valley Classic trials [great people -great venues - great fun] because they had a class for 0-40 on monos, possibly to help with numbers? My idea of a great days trialing is - riding with your mates, having a good banter and a pint on the way home .The observers used the clipboard method of marking, so i dont know what i lost until the results come out, any 5s that are on there are because 1- i fell off 2-missed a marker 3- stopped, and when i say stopped i mean STOPPED, not trying a 90 degree backwheel hop, so you would get no arguments from me whatever system of marking was being used.The point i am trying to make is not all mono riders in classic events PI** about or cheat - [see previous posts] just because they ride modern machines.I also have a TY, but if there is a class i can ride in on the Sherco, i will, simply due to my preference.

P.S. i wont mention cheat bikes, ooops just did.

Edited by dale

Dale. The thread was directed at riders of pre65 and twinshock machinery in particular but if the trial held under non stop rules allowed entries on monos then they whilst entered in a trial run under non stop rules must also accept those rules.

The non stop regulation applies to ALL entries in the trial no matter what bike or route they ride.

Conversely if a trial is run under rules where stopping and hopping is allowed then that rule applies to all entries in the trial no matter if riding a pre65, twinshock or mono.

No bigotry or aparthied just rules are rules and the non stop rule is frequently being deliberately ignored and flounted by riders to gain an unfair advantage. That was the point of the thread.

I reiterate if you enter a non stop rule trial then choose to ignore the rule you should be excluded from the results. No ifs buts maybes. Period.

Enjoy your rides with your mates whatever they ride. :D

Also think offending riders should be excluded and their names published as :hl: cheats.

Hopefully you're joking. Can you imagine what trouble this would cause - excluding people for stopping. Calling them cheats???? Christ - half the entry wouldn't be able to ride next time, because observers who are struggling to determine what a STOP is, will then have to determine whether a rider is cheating, or just crap.

You can sorta see where the hairbrain ideas come from eh :D

Alternatively learn to ride the bloody thing. If in doubt just watch Dave Thorpe, Mick Andrews etc and see how it can and should be done.

Hmmm....Good and bad points to all riders I suppose. Dave's a fine rider, but can bend the rules with the best of them and still does. From the moment he starts pushing through the queue to the moment he leaves the section Dave's looking for every advantage possible :D

Know what you mean about Dave but i've rarely seen him stop hop the bike, roll back, hop again then carry on through a section.

We all look to exploit any advantage we can but WITHIN THE RULES.

When i observe i can tell the difference between a hesitation and a stop to regain balence / line up / take a breather. As i am sure can any observer.

Theres a world of difference between "benefit of the doubt" and "turning a blind eye to deliberate cheating".

So if you cant exclude the rider who blatantly ignores the non stop rule what do you do to put a stop to this cheating then. Or are you saying that rule breaking should be condoned and doesnt matter as long as riders keep entering and paying their entry fees? :D

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Hi

I accept the thread was aimed at pre -65 / twinshocks,but as i said i was interested in this because of ridden in a classic trial.As i said in my first post, if i am given a 5 for stopping, its because i am usually on the floor! not hopping, no problem at all.At the last Wye valley classic trial, it was combined, due to a previous cancellation of a rd, with a centre championship rd, just imagine - 3 routes - about 8 different classes - 2 sets of rules - one set of observers - sounds like a recipe for chaos, but every thing when really well and a good ride for all.

P.S To O T F, if i manage to beat any of my mates on twinshocks, i know i,ll get the usual - ITS A NEW BIKE - from them, when its the other way round [ normally] they just laugh and say - GET A PROPER BIKE !

ejoy your rides Cheers Dale

Hi Andy,

With Alan winning the twinshock class -i was told I came 2nd in 0 - 40s?, I think you can puy money that we will be riding next year :D Thanks for putting on such a good series.

but you need to ride the TY175. not the Sherco....