Montesa Cota 330 Advice Needed

steve

At least you cut a thread - I tried that once and stopped the lathe dead and something somewhere made a very bad sounding clunk. I also gave up, thoroughly deflated, well beaten and accepting that I have no 'nouse' for teaching myself engineering. My grandad must have been spinning in his grave to see his treasured equipment suffering at the hands of a butcher.

• 5 weeks later...

• 7 months later...

Some good news today -

I just won an auction on Ebay for a NOS L/H forkleg.

The one on my bike had been welded where the brake plate anchor was snapped off. When I bought the bike the forks would stick halfway down as the heat of welding had distorted the ali !

I had managed to ream the fork leg out but you can't get better than a new fork leg. :rotfl:

The one from Sandifords? It's been on there months I think!

So what else is planned Steve?

Not too much progress on mine, but I did have a chance to take a look at the Airbox lid, but not sure if you managed to get one yet?

If you had a go at screwcutting one good on you! It's actually M128 x 4mm pitch and even I, who screwcuts 1000's of items a month on my cnc lathes would find that tricky as a one off on a manual machine especially as it's just a couple threads at most up to a shoulder.

I'd actually mill the thread on a cnc mill probably.

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

Thanks for the words of sympathy on my screwcutting Wayne! Still makes me smile when I think how pleased I was until I realised what I'd done. I still haven't sorted a lid out. The Spanish web site you mentioned a few weeks ago is a shame. I had already tried to buy from them, I managed to get a cousin of mine to email them in Spanish as my attempts in English with translation were no good. They wanted a stupid amount of money to ship it, all in would have cost about

Shame or Sham?

I kind of know what what you mean! I ordered some Bultaco parts from a spanish supplier possibly same one as I'm not sure who I pointed you to now! It was a deal where a friend over there made the payment on my behalf in lou of parts I supplied him. Their shipping costs made the deal unfair to my friend in my opinion. So I feel I have to make it up with more "stuff".

Just checked, and YES it is the same dealer! Well we know better now don't we!!

I'll see if there's anyone else who wants one amongst my 330 contacts, and quite possibly it will then be worth me running a few off.

My airbox looked quite nasty when I took it off the bike, it's cleaned up fairly well actually.

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

Sandy, Yes please do.

Mine is a sad case really but will restore well I think. I wished I'd had bothered to restore it as soon as I bought it in the mid 90's. As it happened I threw it together, started it, found there was a carb jet or passageway blocked so it would not run for long. Also the reason the previous owner laid it up became very apparent!

He'd attacked the final drive sprocket with an angle grinder and cut badly into the taper. I can deal with that ok though once I get the motor apart.

Wayne....

Yes Steve, i had 3 of them. I think someone on here has 1 of them now eh Woody?? :thumbup:

sandy

Yep, but I'm getting really frustrated at not being able to make a start on rebuilding the bits and bobs that need doing so I can get using it. Took it out once after I got it and first impression was it gripped like hell.