Montesa Cota 330 Advice Needed

steve

Well the bike runs - just!

I have to sort out a kill switch, change the oils in the engine and dig out the bike rack. Next week I'm going to ride it!

Ok so there's no airfilter yet, and I'm waiting for some ali to make a bash plate, but I need to find out what it goes like.

P1040590.jpg

Lookin Good Steve, 1000 apologies for not calling you yet. Airbox and ali bashplate are sitting waiting for me to send to you. I have been really busy, promise to try and phone you tuesday...or just call me !!!!

S_M.

A quick update on the 330's progress. (if anyone is interested)

Thanks to Sandy I now have an airbox ^_^ Well nearly as I just need a lid for it now.

I made a nice bash plate and sorted a little problem out with the carb. I had stripped it yet again as it wouldn't start and eventually realised someone has linked the two breather pipes together causing fuel starvation after a few seconds running!! Such a simple thing that I overlooked it. I have seen pipes go from one breater to the other before and then they are cut open at the lowest point so it can vent. Mine had been replaced and not cut.

Last Sunday I actually rode the bike in a Trial at my local club. I haven't ridden for around 10 years and with the bike being totally untested I rode the Clubman route. Boy am I glad I did! Here are my findings from the Trial.

1. I am so unfit! It's tuesday and I still ache all over!

2. The Engine needs stripping. It was really noisy, not a knock or rattle as such - just loud. I suspect main bearings and seals. The carb was impossible to get right (I am very fussy on carb tuning and have a good ear / feel to setting them up) which would indicate mains and seals also.

3. The front brake is USELESS. Most of my marks lost in the trial (and there was a few!) were due to the brake. I had fitted new shoes and hoped that a blast up and down the car park would bed them in. No way. I was having to squeeze the lever so hard that by the second lap I was getting cramp and I simply couldn't stop. Going up was no problem but anytime I had to turn coming down I was in big trouble.

4. A bald Michelin X1 is not the latest in tyre technology.

5. Riding a 24 year old bike and a cheeky smile can heavily influence observers descisions :hl:

6. Riding jeans must shrink when left unworn in the loft. Due to this strange phenomenom causual gear was worn.

7. After 10 years I was actually quite supprised at my riding ability. On the 2 rocky sections where brakes weren't nessesary I actually posted the best score. (just 1 soft dab for 4 laps)

8. Must contact Lewisport as the boots I bought from them in 1996 have split around the heal. I was told Gaerne were quality, is this why they emigrated so they could avoid warranty claims on 'nearly' new boots?

So what's next? Engine rebuild, new tyre, sort brakes or P/Ex for a new bike!!!!!!!!.

Just added some video the missus took. Thankfully feet were up, though it was part of the easiest section.

th_P1040618.jpg

Edited by steve

Guest THEDavidBaker
A quick update on the 330's progress. (if anyone is interested)

Thanks to Sandy I now have an airbox ^_^ Well nearly as I just need a lid for it now.

I made a nice bash plate and sorted a little problem out with the carb. I had stripped it yet again as it wouldn't start and eventually realised someone has linked the two breather pipes together causing fuel starvation after a few seconds running!! Such a simple thing that I overlooked it. I have seen pipes go from one breater to the other before and then they are cut open at the lowest point so it can vent. Mine had been replaced and not cut.

Last Sunday I actually rode the bike in a Trial at my local club. I haven't ridden for around 10 years and with the bike being totally untested I rode the Clubman route. Boy am I glad I did! Here are my findings from the Trial.

1. I am so unfit! It's tuesday and I still ache all over!

2. The Engine needs stripping. It was really noisy, not a knock or rattle as such - just loud. I suspect main bearings and seals. The carb was impossible to get right (I am very fussy on carb tuning and have a good ear / feel to setting them up) which would indicate mains and seals also.

3. The front brake is USELESS. Most of my marks lost in the trial (and there was a few!) were due to the brake. I had fitted new shoes and hoped that a blast up and down the car park would bed them in. No way. I was having to squeeze the lever so hard that by the second lap I was getting cramp and I simply couldn't stop. Going up was no problem but anytime I had to turn coming down I was in big trouble.

4. A bald Michelin X1 is not the latest in tyre technology.

5. Riding a 24 year old bike and a cheeky smile can heavily influence observers descisions :hl:

6. Riding jeans must shrink when left unworn in the loft. Due to this strange phenomenom causual gear was worn.

7. After 10 years I was actually quite supprised at my riding ability. On the 2 rocky sections where brakes weren't nessesary I actually posted the best score. (just 1 soft dab for 4 laps)

8. Must contact Lewisport as the boots I bought from them in 1996 have split around the heal. I was told Gaerne were quality, is this why they emigrated so they could avoid warranty claims on 'nearly' new boots?

So what's next? Engine rebuild, new tyre, sort brakes or P/Ex for a new bike!!!!!!!!.

Just added some video the missus took. Thankfully feet were up, though it was part of the easiest section.

th_P1040618.jpg

Hello Steve - Aches and pains for a 39 year old are quite normal. Didn't I say it would be like you had never been away. Are there any scores available?

I just spent a couple of hours on the front brake problem. I oiled the cable, greased all pivot points. Took shoes off and scuffed. cleaned out drum and lightly sanded.

when I was finally happy everything was as good as it could be re-assembled and centered the hub before tightening.

Took it for a spin in the garden - guess what? - USELESS still !

The only thing I can think of is that the new EBC shoes I fitted are no good. It's enough to drive a bloke to modern bikes!

I just spent a couple of hours on the front brake problem. I oiled the cable, greased all pivot points. Took shoes off and scuffed. cleaned out drum and lightly sanded.

when I was finally happy everything was as good as it could be re-assembled and centered the hub before tightening.

The only thing I can think of is that the new EBC shoes I fitted are no good. It's enough to drive a bloke to modern bikes!

Is the ebc shoes the ones with ridges cut into the friction material?

Sandy

The sort of same situation I had. First question is how were the brakes before you did all this? Make sure the brake drum and shoes are completly clean of any oil or grease. It is easy to be working on the brakes and inadvertently touch the surfaces and get some slippery stuff on there. Maybe some grease from the cam has fallen off. Are the shoes new?? Maaybe there isn

Guest THEDavidBaker

Hello Steve

If I remeber correctly even when new the brakes were nothing special. The thing we did was to lengthen the brake arm by approximately 3/4".

Don't know what that is in millimetres cos I am old !

David

Roberto,

Thank you very much for your input and advice.

It has been a few years since I rode on drums - I've had TY Yams, Fantic 240, Montesa 247 & Cota 123 and all mannor of British bikes so I know what kind of performance level to expect. If you have seen the llittle video clip when coming down the last hill my front brake was full on, good job there was plenty of room - it wasn't even very steep and I nearly ran into the car park one lap.

Mechanically I'm fairly good (I did work as a mechanic / minder at WTC for a while plus over 10 years riding and maintaining my own bikes)

Sandy,

Yes the shoes are the EBC grooved. I'm going to replace with Newfren and see what happens. Not read anything complimentary about the EBC shoes yet and I've had some EBC pads for Discs in the past which were also rubbish.

Dave,

3/4" is fine with me, 19mm just doesn't trip of the tounge as easy does it! - Did you get my message ref the scores? Thought I'd send them private as nobody here knows the other riders anyway, give it 6 months and NV might put them on thier web site.

Guest THEDavidBaker
Roberto,

Thank you very much for your input and advice.

It has been a few years since I rode on drums - I've had TY Yams, Fantic 240, Montesa 247 & Cota 123 and all mannor of British bikes so I know what kind of performance level to expect. If you have seen the llittle video clip when coming down the last hill my front brake was full on, good job there was plenty of room - it wasn't even very steep and I nearly ran into the car park one lap.

Mechanically I'm fairly good (I did work as a mechanic / minder at WTC for a while plus over 10 years riding and maintaining my own bikes)

Sandy,

Yes the shoes are the EBC grooved. I'm going to replace with Newfren and see what happens. Not read anything complimentary about the EBC shoes yet and I've had some EBC pads for Discs in the past which were also rubbish.

Dave,

3/4" is fine with me, 19mm just doesn't trip of the tounge as easy does it! - Did you get my message ref the scores? Thought I'd send them private as nobody here knows the other riders anyway, give it 6 months and NV might put them on thier web site.

Yep!

Well the bike runs - just!

I have to sort out a kill switch, change the oils in the engine and dig out the bike rack. Next week I'm going to ride it!

Ok so there's no airfilter yet, and I'm waiting for some ali to make a bash plate, but I need to find out what it goes like.

P1040590.jpg

A good friend of mine and I arrived in Spain for the Spanish WR in Feb of 1985. We both took delivery of our "Tri trentas" ( what the Spanish called them, aka 330's ) at the factory. After the first practice, we knew we were in trouble as the 330's were far from what we expected. My friend finished the event and I DNF due to a broken shift shaft which I by the way broke 2 more times in the following Bel. and Eng. Rounds. A good looking machine yes but the performance was not with the times..........damm Yamaha TY s.

Thought I would update you on the 'lack of' progress so far!!

The airbox cover is still a problem. For those that haven't seen one it's a plastic screw on cap about 5" diamater. Fed up with battling against the language barrier trying to get one from Spain I bought some 8mm ali plate to make a temporary lid from. I drove over to my Dad's to use his lathe Sat PM but had to spend a hour fixing it first! I spent ages making a mandrel to mount the ali then carefully turned the outer diameter. The lathe is a nice Cincinnati and Dad must have had it about 30 years but has never cut a screw thread so I was on my own. I saw my Grandad do it quite easily on this very Lathe about 20 years ago, he was 82 years old and could hardly see!!. How hard could it be?

After quite some time messing with levers I got the thing cutting at the correct pitch on a test piece. On went the lid and taking a little at a time I cut my first ever thread. It looked a treat and Dad was surprised I managed it on a piece of Ali only 8mm wide. All was looking good and the next step was to skim some material off the thickness to lighten it. First however I had to just check the box would screw onto the lid. Problem - It wouldn't go at all, I re checked my measurements and then it dawned on me - I'd only gone and turned a bloody left hand thread on it!!!!!!! Now I remember Grandad telling me - Turn the tool upside down and run the lathe in reverse if you want to cut away from the chuck.

No more Ali and no time and throughly fed up I had to call it a day.