Montesa Cota 330 Advice Needed

steve

Thought I'd post a little update about my 330.

The BIG news is the beast runs again! Having stripped the engine months ago for a rebuild I finally finished it!

The big end was good but mains and seals were replaced. Several other bearing were also replaced whilst the engine was apart and a new gasket set should keep it dry.

I really had wanted a rebore but due to lack of funds and availability of a piston I've stuck with the old one for now. If and when I can afford it it's pretty simple to whip the barrel off and rebore anyway.

I've welded some brackets onto the frame for my new airbox and it fits a treat. Just need to source a filter and cover now.

It's always a nervous time restarting a rebuilt engine, I gave it a couple of gentle kicks just to see if everything was turning as it should and was amazed it fired into life. Engine is 100% quieter now the mains aren't rumbling round. As it sat ticking over it sounded a little lean, previously all the tweaking on the air screw hadn't made a bit of difference. Now though just half a turn and it sounded sweet.

Edited by steve

Hi

I have been following the 330 thread with interest... I am not too knowledgeable on Montesa derivatives but it looks very close to the earlier 349 (which I once owned & have nowgot another one) Can anyone highlight the differences - another question that someone can maybe shed some light on is when were the last twinshocks actually made. I owned a Fantic 300 which I think was one of the final twinshockers

Thanks

Ian

Hello Ian,

The 349 was indeed the model before the 330. There are a few similararities between the two models but many more more differences (if that makes sense!!)

There are very few parts that are interchangeable. Even the 349 seemed to change midway through it's run. For example some later 349's share the same kickstart as my 330 but many have the older style.

Montesa designed a brand new engine for the 330 and from my limited experience it goes very well. In my opinion though the whole bike just feels a little 'big' compared to say a Fantic 240

As far as I'm aware the Montesa Cota 330 was the last twinshock made. By 1985 Fantic had the 301 with monoshock and disc brakes. Yamaha of course had the very successful TY250 Monoshock. Smaller companies like Beta and Aprillia were gathering sales, all Monoshock. So the Montesa 330 didn't stand a chance of any sales success. All this means that it is pretty rare for one. And a damn good totally legit bike to compete on in Twinshock trials!!

I don't think Montesa ever did catch the rest up. They quickly stuck some Discs and a monoshock on it and called it a 335 which is even rarer. Then there is the 307, 310 and 311. None of which were quite as good as other offerings. Even when Honda put their engines in for the 314 etc... it just wasn't as good as the rest.

Only when Honda with works rider Marc Colomer designed the 315 and branded it as a Montesa in Europe did they truly have a bike to equal or better anyone else.

Steve have a box full of nos bits and pieces for rebuilding those shocks if you're interested. free of course!!!

Oooh yes please - never one to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Are you still on the same Mobile no *********1180?

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update on the long term 330 project.

I have now succesfully turned a thread onto some ali for the airbox lid and just need to skim a little off the face to match the original item.

I have fitted some wider footpegs. I rode it a couple of months ago and finished runner up on the clubman route to a guy on a new

Edited by steve