Scorpa Trials Quad!

herbie

:wacko: Not seen MCN so can't comment. But having said that I believe the road bike market is struggling big time. Too many bikes out there and not enough takers, costs too much for the youngsters to get out there. Hope Scorpa have a winning road project, good luck to them. (They will need it)

I am definately not saying they should muck with new ideas but come on, that thing is rediculous. If Scorpa spent less time on junk like this then maybe their trials bikes would be even better, thats what they are a trials bike company arent they.. What can a project like this prove, is there really a need for trials quad? Certainly not here in the states. Other places,maybe, that I admittedly dont know.

And....it most certainly is Yammie frame,motor and swing arm. Go to the link below and compare photos. I had a YZF and its obvious. I mistakenly said hubs, what I meant was axle....its the same too.

Yamaha

I think you have missed the boat a bit Motofire, there is a long history in all of the great car and bike manufacturers of "specials" or concept vehicles.

It's all about stretching the engineers imagination and ingenuity, and also creating interest in the brand at the motorshows. Most of those projects are never going into production - they are a showpiece for the brand. Get some publicity, get some column inches in the magazines, get some excitment and interest in the design and build areas in the company.

I reckon it's a good thing, they are not stagnant and boring, 3 cheers and well done SCORPA.

I think you have missed the boat a bit Motofire, there is a long history in all of the great car and bike manufacturers of "specials" or concept vehicles.

I think you are correct. Points well taken. Though I would only give it 1 1/2 half cheers.

Edited by motofire

Quads are the sworn enemy over here.

That's just what the anti-OHV forces want to hear.

If we're to survive, we OHVers have to group together. That means motorcycles, ATVs, Jeeps, 4x4 and anyone else who values vehicular access to public lands in the US.

I have been riding since 1963. Rarely was anybody concerned about bikes until the advent of quads. We flew pretty much under the environmentalists radar.

I would agree that OHV users should band together but the wanton destruction caused by a significant number of quad riders only serves to continue to harm our sport.

I've lost over 90% of the areas I used to ride and the number one reason by far and away have been directly attributable to quads. You live in California which still has significant areas to ride (although they are being closed with blinding speed). In the Midwest there is virtually no place to ride because property owners became sick and tired of the destruction and trash primarily caused by the ATV crowd.

I own 600 acres in LaCynge, Kansas and I've also had to post no riding and enforce it because of the same issues caused by quad riders. I had many miles of technical enduro single track and trials areas built that were totally destroyed by quad riders with the added bonus of mountains of beer cans and other trash strewn about. :wacko:

I am deeply saddened that many individuals have lost respect for the privileges granted them which are causing all of us to suffer. ATV ownership seems to attract a higher percentage of these individuals.

Unfortunately I have no idea what the answer is.

I have been riding since 1963. Rarely was anybody concerned about bikes until the advent of quads. We flew pretty much under the environmentalists radar.

Well, then things are quite different in Kansas than they are in California (where I've been riding since 1970). Quads weren't even invented until 1983 (or popular as trail bikes until 1985), and I can guarantee you that in California motorcyclists had been under the close scrutiny of environmentalists for over a decade.

Ultimately, I doubt that you have a problem with quads...just some of the people who ride them. I've seen the same sort of behavior (trashing, partying, etc.) from people in cars and trucks. One of my favorite practice area has trash dumped there repeated (not by people on ATVs). Should cars and trucks be banned?

I am from Mass (USA) and quads certainly have had a negative impact here. You can streotype them into the beer toting cooler packing category but the major problem is what the vehicle does to the trails. You can timeline the increase in the popularity of 4 wheelers with the destruction of singletrack here. As they became more popular the singletrack trails became wider,mudholes deeper and cut arounds more promonent. Infact stste forest's have been closed due to the impact, the documentation is there. Now in their defense quad owners have very little places to ride. They need a place to go so they can ride legally

That said just to the north of us in the great state (I mean it) of New Hampshire there is an ATV club(NHATV) that is great. They are very pro active and are responsible for some great advances in trail use there.

I suppose none of us have any stats, so it is easy to generalize. I live in Houston, Texas and see the same issues with quads as you guys have observed. In general, the machines themselves are destructive with the trend of heaver, more powerful, and more destructive seeming to be the marketing plan. Again, in general, if you look at who these machines are being marketed to, it is not motorcyclists. Hunters, ranchers, etc. appear to be a prime market. Next appears to be those not skilled enough, or that never learned to ride a motorcycle. "Those that can ride a motorcycle do. Those that can't ride quads."

The crowd that quads attract is scary. As mentioned, the beer drinking, ice chest toting, no helmet wearing, brain-cell shortage group seems to be the primary demographic for these machines. Can't tell you how many times I have see a quad loaded down with 3 or 4 people, all without a helmet or protective gear, go racing down the trail at high speed.

We have lost one of our few riding areas to the destruction of quads. The last time we were there, this was the scene. Two pickup trucks hauling large cattle trailers pulled into the parking lot, and proceeded to unload about 15 to 20 quads. The other vehicles in parade then unloaded about 2 to 3 times as many teenagers to early 20 year olds. While about 3/4 of the quads went out to rut and destroy the trails, the balance began racing around in the parking lot, detroying it. What once had been a small pot hole in the center of the parking lot was now about 15 foot across and 3 feet deep. On this particular day, the hole was full of water, and one of these idiots proceeded to pull the cattle trailer through the hole, getting it stuck. The entire parking lot, and trail area, turned into beer, chaos, and destruction.

While it would appear that the groups mentioned as OHV (4x4's, Jeeps, ATV's, etc.) need to band together to fight for rights, I don't think that is the right approach. Sort of like including a group of terrorists, or murders, in your group fighting for rights to keep guns. There are some folks that you just don't want to be associated with your cause!

All of the folks I ride with have seen the destruction, and crowd, that is so prevalent with the quads and absolutly loath the idea of what these folks are doing to the future of open riding areas. It seems strange that the very motorcyclists that are fighting for their own riding rights are the very ones that would be first in line to pull the plug on the rights of the quad riders! If something is not done about the quads, we can all kiss our rights goodbye. Sadly, it appears that any action need to be "anti-quad" versus everybody going down by banning together with a group that "in general" is so destructive and irresponsible.

Edited by DGShannon

How about we be anti-idiot instead of anti-quad or anti-motorcycle or anti-chair. I will agree that it seems the undesirable acting individuals do seem to be drawn to the easier to use quad than the motorcycle. But as with anything if used responsibley they are ok. Quads are useful for hunters and ranchers as a quick and easy vehicle to move stuff around. Heck, you can even plow snow out of your driveway. oh and they can be fun too. I have buzzed around on my kids' quads and had a blast.

The key is to be responsible, pick up after oneself, don't get stupid, use or provide trails specifically for certain machines. Unfortunately we can't make everyone behave although the goverment sure can give it a try and stop us all from using what we like. As far as goverment is concerned ATV, 4x4, motorcycle, OHV, are all in the same group, so what one sector does will affect the rest.

As with any sport or recreational activity you get the the beer drinking, ice chest toting, no helmet wearing, brain-cell shortage goup. Look at hunting, fishing, boating, football, baseball, nascar and driving on the road, there is a multitude of that group in these activities. (In the US anyways) Nothing will get better until people stop being stupid. :wacko:

My 2 cents.

As a trials rider, I suppose I should complain about the wear-and-tear on trails done by knobby tires and call for the banning of non-trials dirt bikes from trails. Come to think of it, I've seen some dirt bike riders drinking beer and riding off trails now and then. Wait! I've seen trials riders do that, too, and I've seen people on trials bikes without [gasp] helmets. We should all be banned, for the good of Mother Earth.

Some words of wisdom (especially for people who compare ATVers to terrorists and murderers):

"If we do not hang together, we shall surely hang separately."

--Thomas Paine.

"When Hitler attacked the Jews

I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned.

And when Hitler attacked the Catholics,

I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned.

And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists,

I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned.

Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church --

and there was nobody left to be concerned."

--Martin Niemoller

:wacko:

"When Hitler attacked the Jews

I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned.

And when Hitler attacked the Catholics,

I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned.

And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists,

I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned.

Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church --

and there was nobody left to be concerned."

--Martin Niemoller

Gee, just think if someone had been bright enough to kill off Hitler before all the problems came about.

There is a major difference between concern and discern. Sometimes, fighting for your rights might involve the need to figure out who the enemy is. What I am trying to say is that those who would take away the rights don't seem to be able to discern the difference between the damage done by a monster 4-wheel drive Jeep, and a light footprint trials bike. It may become necessary at some point to start driving home that distinction. If not, history may one day reveal that the 'oneness" you seek was the seed of the downfall.