Tyre Leaking Air Through Spokes

beta tim

I've just bought a 2000 Rev 3 which has a fairly new back tyre which won't hold any pressure for much more than about half an hour. The air seems to be escaping from where the spokes are attached to the rim. I have spoken to Lampkins about this to see how to cure it and they suggest I strip out the, what looks like, black mastic and re-do it. Has anyone done this and what products have they used.

Cheers,

Tim.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the the advice, the Sherco site was excellent. I have investigated the problem further this morning and found that there is a sealer band but a previous owner has had problems with it and applied some kind of black mastic all over. it's now out and the rim is in a right state and will take a fair bit of cleaning. Anyone know where I can buy a new sealer rim on line, I will need a new one as this one has had it.

Finally, I'm only half sure I know what a beader is, I was going to lever the tyre back on, should I not attempt this.

Hi, you can buy a rim tape from any trials shop thats is on line or phone, I had this trouble and got the following tips off here -1 As was said the rim must be spotless - apply waterproof grease over the spoke heads,under where the rim band sits -2 make sure the band is seated and evenly tensioned on rim - 3 some people say to leave out the spacer on the valve but dont over tighten - 4 the beader they mention is a rubber ring to help seal the tyre when inflating, if your lucky it is not always needed. I went the easy route and put tyre sealer in as i didnt want to take the tyre off again, but as your tyre is already off, try the tips mentioned.

Finally, I'm only half sure I know what a beader is, I was going to lever the tyre back on, should I not attempt this.

A beader is a rubber ring that goes between the rim and the tire to keep all the air from leaking out of tubeless tires while trying to seat the bead.

You can also use a bicycle tube (I've forgotten which size since I got my Youmee beader).

Most tires cannot be seated without something to fill that gap.