Non Helmet Wearing

sirhc

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can`t stand it I have to say it. How many of you helmet have to bee`s drive a car? How many wear a helmet when you drive said car? How many drivers die of head injuries a year? Race car drivers all wear helmets. They never do on the way home.

I learned to ride without a helmet, I learned to drive without a helmet. Luckily every time I needed a helmet I had one on. It`s all about choice, and pretty soon we might lose that too.

By the way Bell helmets would of made a fortune if 4 of them came with every new vehicle!!

Luckily every time I needed a helmet I had one on.

If you don't wear a helmet you won't waste any good luck!

My favourite quote was Gary Busey a former staunch anti helmet advocate. After recovering from a MC sustained head injury without a helmet he said " I think it is everybodys choice if they want to wear a helmet. I choose to wear one". Apparently he hit hard enough to to learn.

It really chaps me that the AMA spends my membership money fighting helmet laws. If they think that it is so safe to ride without one, why do they require one at an AMA sanctioned event.

Edited by paul_thistle

Can`t stand it I have to say it. How many of you helmet have to bee`s drive a car? How many wear a helmet when you drive said car? How many drivers die of head injuries a year? Race car drivers all wear helmets. They never do on the way home.

[rant]

Sorry but that is a pathetic analagy! In a car you are surrounded by crumple zones, air bags, seat belts ( if you wear them) and if you have an impact at 30 mph you have over a 90% chance of survival.

Let me see you ride your bike into a brick wall at 30 mph and see if your eyes arent pushed out the back of your head! People die falling off a step ladder from 4ft. Imagine falling 6ft onto some rocks straight on your head without a helmet :wacko: A bit messy me thinks.

If peeps are mad enough to ride trials without helmets then its to do with pathetic macho bravado and dont try and tell me its anything else!

You tell your kids to wrap up warm when its cold outside and when they go out in a Tshirt and jeans and get the flu you say, " Well what did you expect" , well when you ride a bike without a helmet and fall off and get a granite rock embedded in your left ear lobe, you know what I'm gonna say..

[/rant]

so why dont we wear full faced helmet's with google's in trial's surely our eye's are important to us aswell.this world is full of people just wanting to get there name down in the history book's for changing what was or what one's choice would be.

you dont see steve mcqueen wearing much of a helmet when he tried to jump the fence in the great escape,and how many kid's have seen that film,it's on atleast once a year.i've often thought about doing it,but i'll be wearing a helmet on that one when i get round to it.

Edited by bilco

I agree with helmets and everyone i know wears one. What i see that looks dangerous to me is practicing difficult stuff (stuff challaging your abillity) without a spotter. Helmets do a good job of protecting heads a good spotter(s) protects the whole body and the bike. If i had to choose between a good spotter and a good helmet i would choose both. I have some friends who use boat kill switches a little inconvienent hooking them up after a crash but no tire in the face and no blown enginge throttle stuck wide open crashes but it still doesnt take the place of a good spotter.

Sooo Bilco, you argue that you don't like to be told to wear a helmet. And yet you choose to wear one. Helmet requirements are for those people who don't think they are needed. If they are not intelligent enough to wear one then society's desire not to be burdened by their vegetative drooling carcass, Will show the way.

Why should I have to pay for someone elses poor judgement. It is the very reason the government likes to step in and require things. "There's another one of those crazy motorcyclelist's. We need to protect them!"

If we don't show that we are responsible enough to protect ourselves others will make that choice for us. Possibly regulating even what we are allowed to do while on our bike.

I had always lived in a state where helmets were required. On a trip to Kalifornia I was at a gas station and a guy pulled up on a GSXR1000. He only had on a loose bathing suit and flipflops. His girlfriend was also wearing a bathing suit and flipflops. I bet my jaw hit the ground, it was incredible to me that anyone would do that. I never want to be comfortable seeing that. Because if I am, I might think it's ok for me to do it.

Monkey SEE Monkey DO!!

It's never been a big issue here in the UK unless somebody has'nt told me something.

however i think this issue is gonna go round in circle's some what.

you have your choice i have my choice and that's how free country's should work.

Enjoy your trial's guy's whatever you decide to wear.

ps..im not even gonna mention what footwear i was wearing when i first started trial's :moon::guinness:

If they are not intelligent enough to wear one then society's desire not to be burdened by their vegetative drooling carcass, Will show the way.

Watch out!! there are those who would require as stated full face helmet gogles other restrictave gear or cc requirements or even go as far as ban trials or otherl motorized sports making that same statement.

you have your choice i have my choice and that's how free country's should work.

Enjoy your trial's guy's whatever you decide to wear.

While I agree wholeheartedly that you and I both have a choice, and we should have the right to do whatever we want, the problem comes up when MY money, has to pay for YOUR bad choice.

I believe you to be in the UK correct?

WHO do you think pays to keep that vegetable alive because HE made the choice not to wear a helmet?

If we could kick those folks to the curb and let them lay there when they pile it up helmetless, I would be all for it, instead, our society refuses to do that (whether or not that is a good thing is the subject of much debate) and our society (you / me whoever) gets to pay the bill for his choice.

Or in the more personal US side of the house, if someone chooses to ride without a helmet on my riding area, and I loose my riding area because of that, was it really fair for him to make that choice that effected me?

Oh, yeah, and I must confess, I got a good scolding for driving the CT 70 to the Pavillion helmetless two weeks ago. (and I was just flat wrong for doing it)

WHO do you think pays to keep that vegetable alive because HE made the choice not to wear a helmet?

Alan,

Thanks for making this post, because it saves me the effort. As long as my tax dollars are being used to provide care for the uninsured, or under-insured, I have a problem with freedom of choice. Whether it is no helmet, smoking, drinking while driving, the cost of housing repeat criminals, etc. freedom of choice almost always conflicts as a burden upon others.

I am all for no helmet, if that is what turns your crank. Smoke all you want, and have a drink to. But when you are incapacitated from the wreck, dying of cancer, or need the liver transplant, why does anyone other than you have to pay for it?

so why dont we wear full faced helmet's with google's in trial's surely our eye's are important to us aswell.this world is full of people just wanting to get there name down in the history book's for changing what was or what one's choice would be.

you dont see steve mcqueen wearing much of a helmet when he tried to jump the fence in the great escape,and how many kid's have seen that film,it's on atleast once a year.i've often thought about doing it,but i'll be wearing a helmet on that one when i get round to it.

Full face helmet for trials? Promoters of Xgames are pushing for full face helmets for bike stunt and street freestyle or whatever they call it. They interviewed one of the riders with no front teeth and a huge scar on his chin and he is now sporting a full face unit. My .02.

I don't think you can blame promoters for requiring helmets. That would be a requirement of the insurance carrier for the event.

No insurance no event.

No large corporation is going to take the risk of promoting a sporting event without some financial protection. The insurance companies know what motivates lawyers and juries to give huge settlements and they know how to cover their ass ets , thus the toothless wonder will have to wear a full coverage helmet......or bubble wrap his bike and all landing surfaces.

Alan,

Thanks for making this post, because it saves me the effort. As long as my tax dollars are being used to provide care for the uninsured, or under-insured, I have a problem with freedom of choice. Whether it is no helmet, smoking, drinking while driving, the cost of housing repeat criminals, etc. freedom of choice almost always conflicts as a burden upon others.

I am all for no helmet, if that is what turns your crank. Smoke all you want, and have a drink to. But when you are incapacitated from the wreck, dying of cancer, or need the liver transplant, why does anyone other than you have to pay for it?

Very well said DG. I could not agree with you any more.