What's Wrong With 200s

scraggydog

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GAS GAS test day this Sunday Nantmawr Quarry OSWESTRY (do you know your way to OSWESTRY its where the Crows fly backwards to keep the dust out of there eyes).

And "Brainspace" my skinny son and my grandson with be there and at 14 years old, 12 stone size 11 boots must run in the family.

PS I think you have to book your ride with Dot at Gas Gas, and dont forget I want a report.

CoMorph

Oh, I can be pretty poor :D

Can't we all. I find I only excel at being mediocre at everything I do. :banana2:

Maybe I should try one, but I reckon I'm gonna struggle to get someone to trust my lard ar5e on their beloved 200 :dunce:

As you're in Oswestry, and I'm nearly in France, I'll offer you a go on mine. :D

:dunce:

GAS GAS test day this Sunday Nantmawr Quarry OSWESTRY (do you know your way to OSWESTRY its where the Crows fly backwards to keep the dust out of there eyes).

And "Brainspace" my skinny son and my grandson with be there and at 14 years old, 12 stone size 11 boots must run in the family.

PS I think you have to book your ride with Dot at Gas Gas, and dont forget I want a report.

CoMorph

Please don't think I'm slagging you with the skinny thing, from a lardy like me it's entirely jealousy :banana2:

Good call. Hadn't even heard the test day was on, and it's only three miles away. We'll be at the Tough One on Saturday - for anyone who hasn't been it's an amazing event, and this year it's even bigger. I don't think I've been to anything quite like it, where you can get so close to the action. First few hours in the light, and then the atmosphere sets in for real when things start to get dark and the bikes are flying round in almost pitch black.

I'll drop a mail to Jude - I almost daren't say it, but I wouldn't mind trying a 300 as well :D I rode one in the Victory trial and loved it, but I've ridden the 250 and didn't get on as well (strangely the 250 seemed more of a beast to handle, but may be just down to tuning - the 300 had smooth grunt). I did love my 02 280 pro except for the reliability problems.

Would be good to see first hand what the 200 is like, so although I'm working for some of Sunday I'm going to try to get up there.

Nah - unfortunately not, I was called out early on Sunday. Didn't get a reply actually from my email, but maybe I would have been OK to just turn up. Wasn't to be anyway, work taking over as usual at the moment :beer:

Anybody else get chance? Any feedback? Did Colley/Wigg and co hang around?

And.......if you did, what d'ya reckon to the 200's? I've got to admit I'm stubborn, I'd be very very unlikely to buy one, just because of the weight I'm dragging around, but be interesting to see what people think of them.

Being a young'un i've only had a 50cc and a 125cc, but not because of the regs. Simple fact when I was starting out I had neither the ability nor strength to control a bigger bike! Now I have more strength (but no more ability) I still stick with 125. I've only twice found the power lacking, once at Sethern, Dunsfold - leaf mulch over clay, and once at Brockham - wet chalk and clay! This maybe because we don't have the big old climbs and thick gooey mud, but its not really been a problem for a lightwight like me!

Rode round with a new guy last sunday, he was really struggling with a 250 gasgas. at the end of the day the bike looped and rolled down the hill and wrecked all the plastics and bent the forks. I'm sure that if he had a 200 he would have got on much better and wouldn't have had the problem at the end of the day!

I reckon that 200's are under-rated, and many people would be better off with one rather than a bigger bike - but its probably the 'born again biker' syndrome of bigger is better!

I've always bought and liked bigger engines like gasser 270/280s sherco 290s allthough i've had loads of 250s, scorpas, betas, montesas, fantics,etc.

but i liked the big motors because on a steep banks you can roll the throttle off and just tickle it on tickover and the extra low down poke stops the stalling nonsense.

And it's nice to know that the bike will keep pulling on the big stuff.

I can't really comment on 200's as i've never rode one, but my mate has a beta 200 and loves it.

I thought i'd give my view because there are good reasons for buying bigger motors too!!!!

Well I just spent about a half hour playing around on a small bit of ledge out front. This 44 yr old dirtbiker who is a noob to the trials world is glad he got a beta 200. Maybe with a little more time in the saddle i'll think i need more juice but ... There were at least two instances where a 280 would have looped out or sent me packing. imo there ain't nothing wrong with 200 at all!! Right now I'm happy and my bod is happy I got a two hunny!! :D:angry:

Had a couple of hours riding in the yard & setting up the 200 on the day before, but its funny how it needs to be ridden in a trial to really set it up. Which is why I stalled it in section 1......... 15 sections later I moved levers, bars & brake pedal to ease control & the next laps were better. Tricky trial though , that Dunlop trial, even on the Inter (middle) route.

So what did I learn about this 07 200 Gasser? Its a rocket! Certainly no shortage of revs or power. Even on the low gearing (9T front) it blitzed all the hills easily and only in second. However that power is largely at the higher revs and so needs a different technique than the 250s I've had before. My result would suggest I'm still searching for that technique....

It feels like a turbo 125 rather than the tamed 250 feel a 200 Beta has. So some mods required - Boyesen reeds, flywheel & slow throttle are to be added before this weekends club trial.

Edited by hrc1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bikespace did you find time to test the Gasers?

Eventually managed to get a go of a 200 Gasser, and I have to say I was surprisingly impressed. What I thought would kill it (4th gear hauling my butt up a nice hill) didn't.

I think after 3 years of use my 290 Sherco is probably running at about 60-70% power having tried the 200. I probably wouldn't buy one for the reasons I've previously mentioned but I could see how many people of a more 'average' build could benefit from one. Enjoyed riding it.

Apologies Morph :hyper:

The only thing wrong with 200's in my oppinion is that there not really 200cc they are 162cc which they don't tell you hope this help you with your search :D

Well, according to this article http://www.dirtbikerider.co.uk/content_dat...beta_rev3/index the Rev 3 200 is actually 124cc!

They also say that the 125 is actually 195cc, so I think they might have got mixed up . . . :hyper:

Where do you get the 162cc figure from?