Noob Looking For Used Bike Advice

chader

I have ridden bicycle trials for 15 years and want to start in moto-trials. I live in Billings, MT and have lots of hills, trails and some rocks to ride. Wyoming is close and has a very active club. I plan to compete in the upcoming season of trials events they host.

I have ridden or raced about every type of bicycle around (MTB, BMX, Road, and of course Trials). I also raced motocross during high school, but haven't had a motorcycle for 15 years. I love dirt riding and bike trials, so I figure I will really enjoy it on a trials motorcycle.

I am starting to look for a used trials motorcycle. I have gotten some limited advice from a few local riders. But I would like to hear any suggestions you guys may have. I just want a solid bike that I can learn on and grow with for a few years. I would like something that doesn't require excessive maintenance and isn't troublesome if possible. I'm used the normal 2-stroke stuff (pre-mix gas, air filter, chain, jetting, etc.)

Here is what I have been told so far.

1) I should be looking to spend $2,500 to $3,000 to get a slightly newer bike that has been well maintained and not thrashed.

2) I should get a 2001 or newer bike because of the suspension. One guy has seen me ride bicycle trials and thinks the newer bikes will be easier for me to adapt to because of my hopping abilities. He said this is because of rules changes in moto-trials allowing stop-and-hop in recent years. This apparently changed the way they designed the suspension to work.

3) I should get a 250 or larger. I am 33 and weigh about 160lbs with gear.

4) Two people have mentioned that the newer Gas Gas bikes are more troublesome than other brands. One guy recommended anything else like Montesa, Beta, Sherco, or Scorpa. (But, I do question his point of view because he is a dealer for 3 of the other brands.) Another said the Gas Gas are intended more for competition and require more work to maintain as a result of this.

Thanks for any advice,

Chad

Coming from Bicycle Trials You will suit the Gas Gas PRO better than Most of the other bikes on the market. As for the engine that depends! the 200(actually 160cc) suits a lot of people as the bike allows you to do most sections without overpowering them, but the 250 is also a very good bike, just steady on the throttle. If you fancy a different bike then try it! Better still try them all! One could surprise you.

I have ridden bicycle trials for 15 years and want to start in moto-trials. I live in Billings, MT and have lots of hills, trails and some rocks to ride. Wyoming is close and has a very active club. I plan to compete in the upcoming season of trials events they host.

I have ridden or raced about every type of bicycle around (MTB, BMX, Road, and of course Trials). I also raced motocross during high school, but haven't had a motorcycle for 15 years. I love dirt riding and bike trials, so I figure I will really enjoy it on a trials motorcycle.

I am starting to look for a used trials motorcycle. I have gotten some limited advice from a few local riders. But I would like to hear any suggestions you guys may have. I just want a solid bike that I can learn on and grow with for a few years. I would like something that doesn't require excessive maintenance and isn't troublesome if possible. I'm used the normal 2-stroke stuff (pre-mix gas, air filter, chain, jetting, etc.)

Here is what I have been told so far.

1) I should be looking to spend $2,500 to $3,000 to get a slightly newer bike that has been well maintained and not thrashed.

2) I should get a 2001 or newer bike because of the suspension. One guy has seen me ride bicycle trials and thinks the newer bikes will be easier for me to adapt to because of my hopping abilities. He said this is because of rules changes in moto-trials allowing stop-and-hop in recent years. This apparently changed the way they designed the suspension to work.

3) I should get a 250 or larger. I am 33 and weigh about 160lbs with gear.

4) Two people have mentioned that the newer Gas Gas bikes are more troublesome than other brands. One guy recommended anything else like Montesa, Beta, Sherco, or Scorpa. (But, I do question his point of view because he is a dealer for 3 of the other brands.) Another said the Gas Gas are intended more for competition and require more work to maintain as a result of this.

Thanks for any advice,

Chad

It sounds like you`ve had some great advice already :wall: Yes the Gasser is meant too be more adapt for the trick rider so could probably suit your style quite well but as you have been told they are more partial too maintainance! the ones that stick out too me for your stated requirements are the Beta or Mont so whatever you do get out there and try em all if you can and just enjoy :bouncy:

Chader,

One thing about trials riders is their willingness to let almost anyone try their bike. Go to a trials and I am sure that you if you express an interest you will be able to try out almost every bike that is there.

To turn the topic around what kind of 26" trials bicycle would you suggest for someone who wants to start riding?

Ciao

Doug Wilson

If you have three grand you should find a good `04 model. At least buy a 2003. With your background you would adapt to a GAS Gas just fine. If I had a hopping type riding style the gas gas or sherco would be my choice. The Montesa and Beta are more of a stable ride with both having better build quality. No matter what you find, you`ll have a great time with the wyoming club.

To turn the topic around what kind of 26" trials bicycle would you suggest for someone who wants to start riding?

Ciao

Doug Wilson

There are quite a few good brands around for varied prices. Check here if you are looking for used.

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

It is a great site with lots of good info.

I like the Echo, Adamant, Zoo!, Czar brands. They are all made by the same company and are decent quality for reasonably money. You can go with Koxx if you have more money and want better components.

Here are some good sites for new parts and bikes.

http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php?cat=407

http://trialsinusa.com/

http://midwestbiketrials.com/store/

Email or PM if you have more specific questions. I'd be glad to help.

Edited by Chader

Although I'm just a little partial to Montesa I would suggest, like others have, that you go to an event and ride each different brand because there are some pretty big differences that cater to different riding styles. Althought the Montesa is the best built bike out there it's not the best for hopping. I was actually really suprised how well the later Scorpas like to hop so definetly try one of those. They do have a replacement skid plate that is level [don't ask why the stock one is off camber].

Pretty much all the bikes are built well these days. Notice I said 'pretty much'. The only thing I know to do with multiple gasses is burn them.

Well I have done some searching. There are two bikes right in town that I plan to look at.

1) 1997 Gas Gas JTX 320 for $1745, KBB is $1855 and NADA is $1540. So this may be priced about right.

2) 2001 Gas Gas TXT 321 he said he wants $3000 (off the top of his head), but KBB is $2575 and NADA is $2190. So I would offer around $2300 depending on condition.

From what I have learned, I am a little nervous to go with the Gassers. But it seems that most of the issues I have seen are with the newer "PRO" series bikes (2002+). The current 2001 owner says his was before they started having problems and his bike has been reliable. I have seen good and bad about all brands, just a little more common with the GG.

The only dealer we have in town is a Gas Gas dealer. So in a sense, it could be good to have support if I have problems. But I may have more problems with one so it's a double edged sword. The other dealers are several hundred miles or a full state away. There are several bikes in the Wyoming and Colorado area that are worth checking out too (just not as convenient to see).

I am considering the 1997 GG as a cheaper way into the sport. I could have a bike on the cheap and ride this coming season (even if it isn't the perfect bike for me). Then I could test out various brands at the events in Wyoming to get a feel for what I would really like long term. At the end of the season, I could spend more on a newer bike and be sure about what I wanted.

But the 2001 GG could be a little better in terms of motor and suspension based on the age. And it may only cost me a few hundred more to get a more modern bike. So I this is still in the running too.

Well, thanks for the good feedback so far. Keep the ideas coming if you have more suggestions.

Edited by Chader

SNIPED A LOT

I am considering the 1997 GG as a cheaper way into the sport. I could have a bike on the cheap and ride this coming season (even if it isn't the perfect bike for me). Then I could test out various brands at the events in Wyoming to get a feel for what I would really like long term. At the end of the season, I could spend more on a newer bike and be sure about what I wanted.

I have a 96 250 gasgas to sell, PLUS a 95 160 for 2000 obo. that 160 Make a good girlfriend/wife or teen bike.

As you might well already have experienced with bicycle Trials, everything about them will be MAIL ORDER... meaning break on Sunday, be able to ride by next weekend. Break like on Sat, before the trials, if you don't have a spare and nobody else does, you

I am recently single with no kids and plan to keep it that way for a while. But that's another story. :icon_rendeer:

I wouldn't have much use for a 2nd bike right now. Would you sell the 250 by itself? How much? Could you ship the bike?

Great info in your post by the way. I plan to respond to some other points after I find out about your bike.

Thanks for the time to respond.

Edited by Chader

Good to know about the Monty, Scorpa parts. My dad wondered if I would be able to get parts through our local Hon-Yam shops.

I was looking into boots. I found some new on sites for around $220 which is reasonable. I have a vented full-face BMX helmet I may use to start. It offers good protection and is pretty light compared to a regular MX helmet. But I like the Shiro and NZI open face ones at the same sites I found the boots. I'll likely place an order for both of these after I get my bike and see how much $$$ I have left over.

I do wish I had more to spend (damn divorce). But $3,000 is the max and that might be pushing it.

Especially since I may be needing some riding gear and tools. I do want a decent bike, but I plan on this season as a big learning experience.

I will learn the sport and try as many bikes, brands, sizes as I can at the events I plan to attend. Then I can get a solid idea of what bike fits me and spring for a new one. I will have more savings and disposable income at the end of next year, so the timing should work out.

Edited by Chader

we have one thing in common, I restarted or went back to trials competition for myself after my devorce. Im engaged again, but I plan to be able to continue trials still.

I started many years ago, (70's) quit after Highschool (84) started again in 02, thanks to help from my dad... otherwise, I was messed up.

Shop carefully that is all I can add to this..