What Happened To The Kawasaki Kt 250!

scotty

I rode a 1975 KT 250 in the 1982 USA nationals. It was radically altered to more closely match SWM specs. The mod'd one had a single square downtube in font and no tubes under the engine. The swingarm pivot was moved forward and the rear shocks more vertical. I fell in a huge water hole on the loop at Whitefish Mt. and sucked her full of water. Managed to get her dried out and ended up 15th place or so. Bernie was there and won with ridiculously low score on a SWM. The engine had a one inch thick flywheel weight added. Great bike once it was altered.

I rode a 1975 KT 250 in the 1982 USA nationals. It was radically altered to more closely match SWM specs. The mod'd one had a single square downtube in font and no tubes under the engine. The swingarm pivot was moved forward and the rear shocks more vertical. I fell in a huge water hole on the loop at Whitefish Mt. and sucked her full of water. Managed to get her dried out and ended up 15th place or so. Bernie was there and won with ridiculously low score on a SWM. The engine had a one inch thick flywheel weight added. Great bike once it was altered.

JayLael

You knew someone was going to ask if you would post a picture of the modified KT, didn't you? Please do if you can.

Thanks

David

The only photo I have is from a newspaper article that was done about me campaigning the nationals on such an "outdated" bike. I could scan it and submit it. I will need some time to accomplish this. Also will need clearance from Andy to submit photos as I am locked out by some sort of electronic wizardry. One thing of interest was that I had a one piece trials suit made by Kawasaki, just like Don Smith and probably a few others. Also rode with rubber wellies. (weird old timey trials boots) God that was a long time ago. There was no clutch work then, just ride on throttle. <_<

Edited by JayLael

post-3261-1169148337.jpgpost-3261-1169148060.jpgpost-3261-1169148094.jpg

Well i finished my KT ex-works bike just before christmas, had an hour on it christmas day and then took it to the boxing day trial, the first couple of sections were quite an eye opener and i quickly learnt that it liked to be ridden more agressively and loved the higher revs.

On low tick over revs it made the steering quite twitchy, but with a bit more aggresive riding style it rode far better.

I've ridden other twinshocks in the past and it rides better than a bultaco and montesa of the same age, and it always starts first kick, even from cold.!!!

Even though i havent rode much trials in the last year i only dropped 33 which isn't to bad as been as it's my first proper outing on a twinshock!

I think KT's are quite an underated bike and easily as good as the other manufacturers but then again it's whatever you get used to riding.... :wacko::wacko:

Its a little bit dirty in the pics because i have'nt cleaned it properly yet since the trial...

Edited by hop blip and a jump
  • Like 1

Saw one being ridden at the Phil Mellors last year. Sounded like a pre 65 Greeves, but the chap seemed to get round ok on it! Definatley one of the best looking bikes - the only bike to make light green look good. . .

• 5 years later...

• 1 month later...

i still own, and now and then compete on mine..anyone is welcome to jump on your bike, and ride with me, iv won alot of vintage expert classes on mine..

the only time iv had an issue, is when i did something stupid on it..

i own and ride several classic bikes, and my KT is one of my favorites.

Hmmm. with the two fingers stickers and the boot of a Big Old Ford Granada with a strange bike rack attachment to the left of the shot, I would think they were Don Smith's bikes then?

Big John

Dons and Fumihero Katos (sp?). John, have a look on the superstars trial.(see below) you can see quite a lot of the bikes in that vid.

Edited by toofasttim