Endurocross

brian r

Ya, I'm sorry to say the coverage stunk. Only a few seconds of Nick in the Semi. It was only a half hour show, so that means what maybe ten min. of racing? I got home just in time to turn it on from riding....I should have kept riding :banana2:

Edited by sirhc

Some what related:

I got my AMA magazine and there is only a couple of paragraphs about the Endurocross in it, and that was dedicated entirely to the last lap of the main and the hail mary pass. Not one word about Nick and the Sherco trials bike. I am a bit dissappointed in the coverage of the event in the AMA mag and the AMA coverage of trials in general. :banana2:

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

I also read Brians post and instantly was upset that I missed the airing of it. I had it written down and kept looking and telling myself it is on that particular day and I still missed it.

Love the new barfy smiley

Zippy,

The coverage on TC of the endurocross was far superior! With links to good footage you could tell what was going on. The Speed coverage was very vague. There was no excitement, it was as though the announcers were disconnected from the action or sent to suppress it. In one clip you could hear the crowd erupting for Nick, and they talked over it. They might as well had Katie Couric do it.

If you look at this years Supercross with Bubba all but being crowned the Champion after only two rounds. Who can catch him? It shows you just how much in trouble Supercross really is in. Remember the big 4 Japanese have all their eggs in the Supercross basket.

It will be interesting how much the Supercross gate will begin to fall, now that it's a one rider show! Endurocross is unpredictable, Nick proved that by winning his heat on a trials bike!

Endurocross is a much better show! It's sort of like NASCAR however, SuperCross has all the BIG money behind it and the Big Factories, just like NASCAR does. Simply, Endurocross cannot be controlled by Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha, That in my opinion is why there might be an organized effort to slow the progress and promotion of Endurocross.

Face it, little companies cannot compete at Supercross! But in Endurocross, it's anybodies race! The Big four don't like even odds. They prefer the staked deck they have with Supercross and they will not give it up easily.

Simply my opinion!

Interesting observation, Mich Lin.

Keep in mind that your perspective on the relative appeal of endurocross and supercross is that of a heavy duty motorcycle enthusiast. I believe, that for the average guy to goes to a football stadium to see motorsports, is interested in BIG and a spectacle. Supercross has certainly become that. While you and I may appreciate low-speed, low-altitude competition, you may have a tough time convincing the average guy that it's better than huge triple jumps and airborne aerobatics on an epic scale.

paul_thistle Posted Yesterday, 09:44 PM

Zippy,

The coverage on TC of the endurocross was far superior!

TC is the greatest. TC did have great coverage of the Endurocross.

I gotta agree with MalibuDon. Big spectacular jumps and high speed is what draws the average spectator. That and a comfy seat that you don't need to move out of to see all the action.

All of us motorcycle nuts appreciate these different disciplines of motorcycle sport from the view of the saddle so to speak.

Zippy,

The coverage on TC of the endurocross was far superior! With links to good footage you could tell what was going on. The Speed coverage was very vague. There was no excitement, it was as though the announcers were disconnected from the action or sent to suppress it. In one clip you could hear the crowd erupting for Nick, and they talked over it. They might as well had Katie Couric do it.

Paul, I saw Geoff Arron and Nick Mantzoros on the ECross coverage. I heard the announcers talk about Geoff, Nick and the sport of Trials on National TV. I see this as a good begining. Trials exposure through ECross will only grow. Next year there will be 10 trials riders showing up.

I suggest that you take moment and email Speed and the ECross promoters (as I have done) and thank them for their coverage and tell them that you and your friends will be watching for more. Maybe even thank Geoff and Nick for representin'

This will help build on what Nick and Geoff have done..

Edited by the observer

enduro cross = boring, supercross one man show? what about the mcgrath era? for me as an ex racer supercross was about jumping and show and not racing. people (fans) like big air, crashes and rock concert atmosphere.

i respect the guys who ride enduro it's a tough race but like trials not very spectator friendly. the big draw to enduro cross from my view of crowd reaction was the crashing. also the guy who one john dowd a 40 year old washed up mx'er. i used to really like that guy when he raced mx and sx, a real down to earth guy.

rob

Don't get me wrong Malibu, I like Supercross! After seeing both sports from the comfort of those stadium seats and from the letters I've seen in Cycle News. Everyone who has had the pleasure of seeing both enjoy Endurocross more. Have you been to Endurocross yet?

Put a millionaire Big Four factory rider on a quarter million dollar works motorcycle riding out of a million dollar semi truck and there's a very good chance he could be beaten by a nobody on a stock trials bike from no-where USA showing up with his bike on bumper racks riding his first race. I don't think the people in the advertizing departments of the Big Four with all their huge budgits going out would enjoy those odds very much.

Remember Supercross draws most of it's fans from other forms of motorcycling! Most riders are off-road riders not MX racers. When you go to Endurocross the first thing you notice is how nice the people are compared to the Supercross crouds. At Supercross you have to put up with the drunks, swearing and the fights, at Endurocross it's refreshing as to how friendly and outgoing the people are. It's a much more family friendly atmosphere!

The other key factor to Endurocross lacking in Supercross is how the different groups pull for their own superstars. The trials riders pull for Geoff, the enduro, desert, off-road and so on pull for their heros and champions. This is lacking in Supercross!

Yes of course Supercross has the brand thing but Enduorcross has it even more because of the wide spred of interesting motorcycles entered. Not just the Big Four Japanese with a KTM now and again thrown in for diversity like in Supercross but all sorts and sizes of interesting motorcycles at Endurocross.

I believe that once you have gone Endurocross, you will never go back to boring old Supercross again.

Just my opinion!

The big thing about Supercross, Nascar etc. is the organizers ability/skill at creating stars that the average Joe can cheer for. I agree that Supercross has a bit of a vacuum now that RC has left. But I bet it won't be long till a new superstar is created to do battle with Bubba. I like that trials is more of an insiders sport. You have to go and find it and when you do you are rewarded with something special and unique. Same with endurocross. While I admire RC and Bubba, its really just a big circus created to sell bikes.

One thing that you guys all seem to be overlooking is that Endurocross is an "Enduro" sport and it has all of a sudden jumped from a relatively unknown sport to a nationaly televised one.[of course we are talking about the average Joe public. We all can agree that this type of racing has been in the background as SX and MX have always taken the spot light. Now EX has taken a little bit of spot light and is growing very fast comparatively. Yes, it's a venue for trials riders to pick up some 'never before seen in America' type of tv coverage and that is positive but a trials bike is not going to win Endurocross. Nick is a very talented rider and in awesome shape and he rode that bike to the max and made it to the final. The final is completely different in that it has the best and fastest riders in the world and they are riding the motorcycles like they are trials bikes but they have so much more power and they put an insurmountable lead over Nick.

Remember I attempted to enter EX with my trials bike the year before and was declined. After riding on my KTM I said that there was no way a trials motorcycle would win that race and after watching Nick in the final I'll put money on it.

Think about it, our 10x national champ said the same thing and he's pretty much an expert on the subject. He could've entered on his trials bike and didn't. What does that tell you?

Next year I may just enter on my trials bike because I'd like to see how I do against other riders on trials bikes. Then yall have a really good show :banana2:

Every interview I've heard is with people saying "this is the most awesome motorcycling event I've ever watched". It's going to grow and I don't think it will be long before they have to put it at a super size stadium. It could even turn into a series becuase people like to watch riders crash.

One thing that you guys all seem to be overlooking is that Endurocross is an "Enduro" sport and it has all of a sudden jumped from a relatively unknown sport to a nationally televised one.

Now wait a minute! Endurocross has nothing to do with enduros. There's no timekeeping or navigation involved, which is the major distinction of enduro competition, which is not a race. The only thing "enduro" about it is that it's on rough terrain. It's more like CrossCountryCross.

It could even turn into a series because people like to watch riders crash.

Bingo, Ringo.

Malibu, Ringo is Right! Wow, another industry first, Ringo and Mich Lin agreeing.

World Enduro is not timekeeping, it runs under ISDE rules. World Enduro is really off road racing! That's why the US Enduro Champion sucks at Endurocross........... He's a timekeeper not a racer...........

Now back on track, I don't believe a stock trials bike could win but a hopped up one might with a tip top trials rider on it. Nick is good but he's no world class rider, he's a good expert rider. Let's put a fit and fast World Championship caliber trials rider in an Endurocross on a well prepared trials bike and see what happens.

Remember Knight is also a trials rider!