Favorite Trials Bike?

hop blip and a jump

Showing my age I think the mono ty yams where superb to ride and maintain and loved the couple I had but just having changed to 4rt I migt be changing my mind. At 41 I can't wait for the weekend to go for a play!!! :D

1972 Ossa MAR with a whitlock frame. Just something about that bike. Cant put me finger on it but really wish i'd never sold it.

Bultaco 250 "slimline" . Still think one of the prettiest Trials bikes.

TY250R mono with Mick Andrews modded engine. Luverly bike to ride. Sooooo reliable and the power delivery was superb. Much better than my current Pinky.

Hope the James i'm building become my favourite after all the hours and money it's devoured to date :D

You can't go past the Yam mono. An iconoclastic and dominant trials bike. Whilst I can't comment on the "(very)old days", I can't think of any other bike that has been so dominant in the real world. Everyone had one, it was a bit of a rarity to see much else up North and the Fantics weren't up to much until the 305/307 range. Sure, it only won one world round, but that's because they didn't choose to "Factory" sponsor anyone, and why should they, the bikes sold themselves. Certainly out of the box the engine was not great, but if you had the shirt mods, and later the "R" model, things were considerably better. Never got to have a go on Gerald Richardson's 300 (or was it 330?) cc, but watching him ride it, that certainly didn't lack any power and I believe he lead the Irish World Round after the first lap, on one. The only other thing was taking the bashplate off after each trial to stop the magnesium alloy casings rotting. Grease nipples on the pivots- wonderful low maintenance bike.

My own personal favorite was a MKIII Gas Gas Pampera which I bought in 2003 after seeing Mark Kemp from BVM ride one in a trail bike trial.

Using the old TXT trials bike engine, the Pampera looked like a trail bike but rode like a trials bike. It wasn't actually much good for trail riding because the engine never felt comfortable doing long distances on the road, but off road it was the business.

With trials tyres, bars, lower gearing and rear set footrests fitted, it was perfectly at home at a club trial on the easy route.

People always used to say "you're going well on that thing" but in reality it was at least as competitive as something like a twinshock Bultaco/Montesa. And I had a good excuse for riding the easy route.

For trail bike trials riding a Pampera was like cheating.... but legal!

Mark Kemp won the National Trail bike class of the Sammy Miller Championship on his, two years running, I never managed to beat him but was second a number of times. I finally won a Miller round on mine in 2005..... the year the trail bike class championship was dropped. The only time I've had my picture in T&MX News. Fond memories of that Pampera.

Picturesfromlaptop123.jpg

Have a ty 250 mono , Good all round bike ,

I did have a 245 fantic once that was nice , Nice Power ,

But my first choice would have to be my 04 300 raga I have now , No other bike comes close, to me .

That is only my choice , :D

Edited by mostar