Bitch Session!

copemech

Paul, if you working on them you ARE screwed! The only peop;e making money on a Honda is the Parts Department when they fall over. Grab your wallet!

For all those who think the price of a new bike is not much, what is it worth ina year or two? The rate of depreciation is shocking!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The manufacturing cost of a bike isn't the whole story, especially when you're talking about a completely new model such as the Beta 4T. It's rumoured that Beta spent 4 years working on the bike and the cost of all that R&D has to be recovered somewhere. So I'll bet that's where a fair percentage of the REAL manufacturing cost lies.

Raw materials/parts + labour + % of operating costs + % of R&D against projected sales + manufacturer margin + dealer margin = RRP.

The manufacturing cost of a bike isn't the whole story, especially when you're talking about a completely new model such as the Beta 4T. It's rumoured that Beta spent 4 years working on the bike and the cost of all that R&D has to be recovered somewhere. So I'll bet that's where a fair percentage of the REAL manufacturing cost lies.

Raw materials/parts + labour + % of operating costs + % of R&D against projected sales + manufacturer margin + dealer margin = RRP.

I wonder how many years it would take for a small volume manufacturer to re-coup manufacturing costs on a trials bike? With luck it wold be just before the model became obcelete.

You missed Distributer margin!

I was figuring cost per ounce on plastic sunglasses. Oakley also makes titanium ones that are about $200.00 and ounce. So that would more than double the price of our hypohetical production bike. $230k for a bike, that puts me out. Damn capitolism. :rotfl:

I agree with you on that issue, but the point I was trying to make is that there's no excuse for problems to continue into the next years model

I find the quality and whats fixed on the next model far superior to the farm machinery i deal with everyday. If trials manufacturers were like farm machinery manufacturers that would have each sub manufacturer (ajp, ohlins, betor ect.) change a few little things in there design monopolize the parts to it and raise the price 4 times, For the most part ive found the next years model adressed the problems with the last years model. I have a case skid loader thats pretty dpendable but for 8 years they drove a #80 chain with a #60 chain that keeps breaking. I wonder if the triasls manufactures make any money but i guess they do or they wouldnt stay in business unless they have a lot of money to begin with and are working just to prove what they can build. which may be the case with Honda/Montesa. I saw a link to Scorpa stock 2 years ago if i remember corectly it was at $7 know around $3 or $4.

You think Trials bikes are too expensive? Consider this for comparison. I walked into my local bicycle shop recently and noticed the high end Mountain bikes selling for $5K to $6k !! The performance of these bikes is totally dependant on YOUR level of fitness, and the differences between these and significantly cheaper models are measured in onces. Whether your fit or fat, if you can twist the throttle, a 4RT is way more fun for the money.

When I started this TREAD, I was not really referring to cost ov bikes, but just as Hensley said, things that carry over from year to year.

Does Beta know how to fix a carb? Certainly, as none of their riders will be found without the mods.

Does GasGas know how to weld on pegs? One would think by now!

Can Sherco fit a mudguard? Not yet!

Scorpa seem to have a very nice platform in the 2T although I am sure it has some quirks, but the bloody motor has been around 20 something years, so go figure! 4T, wellll?

Do Monts really eat spark plugs? Build your self a map!

:rotfl:

:rotfl: The Sunglasses are really nice :D

It does make you wonder why they don't fix some stuff.

Beta, how much more is a carb with an angled fuel bowl ?

Peg mounts coming off! Good grief charlie Brown!

The japanese have the same problem. Sometimes not changing a design until the original engineer is long gone, so as not to dishonour him.

But even the silliest changes to manufacture can add huge costs. Although I don't see how mass production costs could be much higher than assembling bikes in small numbers.

:rotfl: we should send in spys to find out why! Or maybe just call em.

Can Sherco fit a mudguard? Not yet!

But i can :rotfl:

With the help of a heat gun. Melt that annoying flap and bend it almost straight. Then any other bits that dont quite fit, just melt and straighten.

Still all of the companies should fix these problems however it can be fun to see who can fix these problems the best i.e. all these (silly) beta owners that massacre their carbs but then they dont leak?

Seems like problems are inconsistant I guess we dont ride as much as some yet we ride every weekend untill this stupid ice storm and cod weather has shut us down for 5 weeks now and we ususally ride a couple nights a week in the summer but the only problem s i seem to have are something i did like lifting bike by mufler or adapting easy pull clutch spring on older bikes. never had any peg problems had a kickstarter brake on an 03 but since then that problem seems to be fixed. broke an outside shift timing spring $14 and a easy fix water pump seals on 3 year old bike cost only $36 Ive spent more on tires than bike parts and i we ride our tires down pretty far. fork seals on the old 38mm forks but not at all on the 40s. havent had any leaky tank problems either. Maybee ive been fortanute enough to get wednesday bikes not monday or friday bikes.

I have to ask the question WHY is it people go out and buy a new bike when all they know there doing is buying a bike that inherit's the same problem's that there old bike of 2 year's old has.

If no one bought them then the manufacturer would have to stand back and think about what's wrong with the quality.But be prepared to pay more for the bike.?

normal story in life is this,someone see's something cheap they buy with no question's asked.And then complain's when something break's or leak's.

Also people might say that the older bike's of 20--30 year's are better quality than the modern one's, but are they when you consider trial's was no where near as rough back then.

Mark iv'e had two 07 Sherco's in the garage and the problem was not the rear fender but it is the back of the air box doesn't line up with the back of the frame. Once I fixed that the fender was fine.

Beta carb 30 minutes to fix and yes it should have been fixed years ago at the factory, but over all good quality bike.

I have a Scorpa 4-stroke in the garage now and am having a ball with it. Nice bike, just a little heavy.

You think Trials bikes are too expensive? Consider this for comparison. I walked into my local bicycle shop recently and noticed the high end Mountain bikes selling for $5K to $6k !! The performance of these bikes is totally dependant on YOUR level of fitness, and the differences between these and significantly cheaper models are measured in onces. Whether your fit or fat, if you can twist the throttle, a 4RT is way more fun for the money.

Now you've done it. You've been signed up for over three years queity watching the radical going ons in this forum until now?

Gentlemen, note that that this man has opened himself up to ridicule, sarcasm, debacle and defilation from the lot of you after being quiet for over three years. And for what?? Just read the last line of his post and I believe that is all that needs to be said.

Welcome in Rich!!!