Helmet Choices

sir dabs alot

Just received one of the new Spanish made Shiro helmets, from the Tryals Shop.

Link: http://www.tryalsshop.com/

Much cooler than my NZI or YES helmets. The buckle is a little strange to get used to, at first, but the comfort and quality are great, and you can't beat the $169 price.

Are they heavy?Is the liner fully removable or just the cheek pads removable?

Cant believe some of the stuff i'm reading here :D

Why do you wear a helmet? To protect your head :rotfl:

To protect your head a helmet must fit properly. Doesnt matter if it's Road Racing or Trials if it dont fit properly then it wont protect your head and may even damage it !

Therefore the most important consideration is that it fits YOUR, not someone elses, head. Just because a particular brand or model fits my head it doesnt mean it will fit yours. The same as just because Douggie wears a *****, which was probably made to fit him and bears little resemblance to the off the shelf product, then why should you assume it will fit your head shape? :D

Also if the helmet doesnt fit properly then it will be uncomfortable. If it is uncomfortable it will distract you when riding a section. If it distracts you then you will probably loose more marks than if it didnt distract you. You win trials not by winning a fashion parade but by loosing the least ammount of marks. Oh yes and a fractured skull is also a BAD thing :rotfl:

It's not bloody rocket science.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Spinner thanks for straighten me out. Im looking for a helmet for homer were looking for something light were used to 850 grams so anything is going to seem heavy. in process of swapping bikes, just found a deal on a one piece closeout i guess a helmet is next.

Right if your used too 850 grams an Airoh will be like a feather at 700 but make sure it fits :rotfl:

Spinner it took me a while too understand your post but now i`m there :rotfl:

:rotfl:

I'm not trying to start a pi**ing match with Grumpy old man but you English guys have it made with the amount of TRIALS helmet choices you have.

I really want a Airoh, but at over $300 dollars it darn better be light, fit well and have good venilation! Hey I run the parts department at a Yamaha shop so I am well aware of our choices and they are pretty thin at this time.

So anyway Grumpy old man give us a break if we ask Questions about the weight, fit and air flow we are just seaching for answers!

Sorry. :rotfl:

It was just that reading the posts i got the impression that the prime reason for people choosing a helmet was OOOH does the colour suit me? Mines got more vents than yours! This helmet is 50gramms lighter than your helmet! If weight was the prime consideration then get your hair cut.

When doing track days or riding a road bike i always buy an Arai because the shape of the Arai suits my over inflated head. My missus has a Shoei shaped head and cant get on with an Arai. Doesnt make one any better than another just different.

People get obsessed by weight of a helmet. Pretty soon you dont notice the difference and i defy anybody to do a blind test of a helmet and accurately identify the weight of it. However they will be able to tell you if it is comfortable or not.

Helmets do wear in dont forget and what was a little bit tight when brand new may be just the right snug fit after a few Trials.

I'm surprised you dont have a wide choice of gear over there i thought you had everything we dont :rotfl:

Anyway hope you get a helmet you like. Myself i spent too long marshalling at Road Race meetings and have seen too many head injuries where a contributing factor was an innapropriately fitting helmet. That was where i was coming from with my posting. If colour and vents etc is more important than protection to you then who am i to argue.

Think Darwin called it evolution.

Two countries seperated by a common misunderstanding of the word irony :D

Didnt mean to rain on your parade.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Just received one of the new Spanish made Shiro helmets, from the Tryals Shop.

Link: http://www.tryalsshop.com/

Much cooler than my NZI or YES helmets. The buckle is a little strange to get used to, at first, but the comfort and quality are great, and you can't beat the $169 price.

Are they heavy?Is the liner fully removable or just the cheek pads removable?

About 1000 grams, and the liner is fully removeable. And, to the point of "Old Trial Fanatic's" rant, the fit is great, for my head. Very different than an NZI or YES. It is snug around my forehead, making it feel stable and secure, rather than just a bucket on my head.