Sherco 290 To Sherco 125?

hen barn

hi i have recently got a sherco 290 2004, i doing ok with it but as a complete beginner im have problems with the power and im always fighting it. i have changed the throttle and timing. i think i have started with a bike that scares the life out of me! another problem is i only weigh 11 stone although im 5ft 10 tall i have problems starting it!

the question is, do i sell it and get a sherco 125 to start and maybe move back up again when i have more confidence.

what you think?

ps. i have also been told it has slight piston slap and if i get it fixed it will have even more power?

yes i read that somewhere? i would like get hold of one but i've never seen one for sale?

Stick a free Wanted ad on the Classifieds on the front page - you never know, something might turn up and it won't cost you anything.

I believe you could also get a new barrel and piston and go to a 250.

We have a 2.5 and my 13 year old rides it. It's a lot easier to start than the 270 Beta and a WHOLE lot easier than the old JT35 was.

That thing would wear you out before you rode into the section.

The 200 top will only fit the 1.25 and take it to 163cc as I recall! :hyper:

Not a bad bike though, very smooth! :thumbup:

Although things like the long header and the Boyesen reeds will smooth the 2.9 nicely, It still has lots of power! There is also the 5mm intake spacer off the '05 as I recall and you can stack another base gasket(up to 3 total)!

It should be a real DOG by then! Total cost about 100 quids thingies!

Beyond that point, an electric motor and a LONG cord is the next step! :D

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 years later...

hi - i've just bought a 290 and i love it, my previous bike was an old 70's twinshock suzuki so a big leap in response and weight - just treat it with respect, it's as meek and mild as you like at slow speed then there when you need it, just don't let it bully you

tony

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 290 too and having read these links i'm wondering if its underpowered? Its responsive, but not scary. I was expecting the wheel in my face all the time, but its not a problem. Have re-packed the exhaust for a bit more go - starting to wonder if the timing might be out, although perhaps i should keep it a softie. Just go easy on the throttle and stick with it.

The early sheros ran ducati electronica ignition which seemed to hold back the power, I noticed the difference in power & the ability to rev when changing from my ducati equipped 2001 model to the leonelli equipped 04 jarvis rep.

The ducati ignition does seem to have a better reputation for longevity as well, don't remember hearing of any failing

I've got a 290 too and having read these links i'm wondering if its underpowered? Its responsive, but not scary. I was expecting the wheel in my face all the time, but its not a problem. Have re-packed the exhaust for a bit more go - starting to wonder if the timing might be out, although perhaps i should keep it a softie. Just go easy on the throttle and stick with it.

I recall the early models being very gentile. Enjoy your sweet bike! If you hopped upon an '03, you might be shocked!

The 2000 model was a fave of mine, specially the 250, as far as smooth controllable power. Seems things started going a bit balistic after that!