What If Anything Is The Acu Doing About The Off Road Vehicle Registration Bill?

old trials fanatic

Well the Bill got through it's first stage yesterday and is now to go to committee. It's on it's way.

So John what EXACTLY is the ACU doing / going to be doing to represent the interests of it's license holders?

This bill will have an effect on just about every branch of two wheel sport of which the ACU is supposed to be the governing body. strangely enough this also includes mini moto competitions.

So is the ACU going to adopt the "Ostritch stance"? or is it going to use some of our hard earned contributions to actively lobby parliament to preserve our right to follow and practice our sport unhindered and free from victimisation from those in parliament who want to get their name in the paper to try and justify their existance.

If not then we will go the way of the gun clubs, i live near Nottingham Gun capital of the UK and believe me there has been no lessening of gun crime since thousands of innocent members of gun clubs had their hobby taken away in a knee jerk headline grabbing measure, and off road sport as we know it will be just a dim and distant memory.

Before Dabster starts yes Nigel i have already written to my MP !

This is important to us all even if you dont think it will happen. It will if not now then by the back door at some future date. So come on John where does the ACU stand on this?? We ought to be told.

If the gangsters in Nottingham want to go around shooting each other then they will law or no law.

The Dunblane and Hungerford gunmen were not gangsters, were they?

"ask not what your acu can do for you etc etc. have you organised your club to do anything?

are all off roaders against it? has anybody that has had a bike stolen not entitled to a view?

Organise a petition?

If the gangsters in Nottingham want to go around shooting each other then they will law or no law.

The Dunblane and Hungerford gunmen were not gangsters, were they?

"ask not what your acu can do for you etc etc. have you organised your club to do anything?

are all off roaders against it? has anybody that has had a bike stolen not entitled to a view?

Organise a petition?

I was hoping to solicit John Collins view as T & E rep for the ACU.

My point about the gun crime in Nottingham was that it made no difference as you correctly say about the law banning handguns but a lot of people lost a sport they loved overnight because of a knee jerk reaction from MP wishing to be seen to be doing something.

I will be asking my club chairman about it tomorrow actually. Not that it makes any difference but they are AMCA.

As for bikes being stolen you dont surely think that a register will make a blind bit of difference do you ? Any more that the gun law made any difference to the number of gun crime in the UK.

Bringing the guns point into this may have been a mistake on my part because a lot of people have a overdeveloped emotional stance about guns so lets all drop the gun bit ? i will re this subject.

I still think it fair and valid to ask the ACU if they are going to lobby on behalf of their membership. The ones except you Nigel & Physco, and any others who would like to state their approval of more legislation, who are i assume in favour of it.

If it is NOT valid that the question is asked of the ACU and John then Andy or a moderator will surely remove the thread :banana2:

I have sympathy with your argument OTF why should we have more laws that arn't going to stop mini motos been ridden round the community housing projects but that will expect you and I to cough up (no doubt ) to register our bikes

the question we can influence is how will this work? how and when will be bikes be registered what is an off road bike is the bike in bits in 3 boxes off the road or off road etc etc we can influence whether this will be workable so that you and i can continue to have at no cost what we had before

Edited by totalshell

I think this is just another way that this government has come up with to try and squeeze more cash out of the hard working people of this country . I cannot see it doing any good whatsoever all it will do is create more jobs for little jumped up jobsworths and cost us a fortune . I would not be suprised if the ACU has already been in negotiations as they may be able to make a few quid out of this !

Its a very valid question for OTF to ask, as the ACU is the biggest governing / sanctioning body in the UK for motorcycling and we should have people on top of this (i presume Dave Luscombe is doing something somewhere) - the ACU should be in the best position to lobby the government

i was at the last Centre Chairman and Secretaries meeting and this didn't come up, i will ask about (or John might reply first) to see if it has come up at a recent directors meeting

an archive of past director's meetings can be found here - http://www.nktc.org.uk/nktc_&_acu_meet...rules_menu.html

Re - These posts.

Instead of one of my lengthy replies - I will try to clear this one up fairly qickly - or at least get the correct info.

It is fair I think to ask what the ACU is doing about this - or more to the point what has it been doing? - this is after all the sort of thing - where people like myself keep telling you - is so often the time and money is spent.

Many of my past arguments have indicated that the ACU as Governing body should be representing our interests - and this of course costs - and this is part of where our money ( licence & registration go).

It is not valid for a few bods to " assume" that the ACU has done nothing or is doing nothing.

Ask by all means - make un-informed decisions helps no-one.

So- I can categorically say that a lot of time and effort and meeting with poliitical bodies etc has taken place. I am sure there will have been visites to London & Gov't

Rather than me trot out my same old opinion - I think it best if I get Dave Luscombe - the man at the ACU who has been extensively dealing with all this to write out a sort of diary/report of events. I have pages of it - but I think Dave will probably give us a more readable account.

I have just phoned Rugby to instigate this - but find that he has crashed while riding yesterday and has gone for medical examination etc.

By tomorrow - I should now the score - and if he is off work - I will personally wade through all the paperwork myself and give you an update - that is a promise - and then he can bring us all up to speed later. I am faily sure I have already seen an article somewhere - it may have been T & MX ?

Anyway - I know a huge amount has gone on - I will get the details - however long it takes me.

Before I sign off - as this Bill will effect all Off Road sport - including H & H, Enduro, MX etc - would it be too presumptious of me to ask anyone who rides in any events under different organisations to the ACU - what efforts they have beeen making?

Before I sign off - as this Bill will effect all Off Road sport - including H & H, Enduro, MX etc - would it be too presumptious of me to ask anyone who rides in any events under different organisations to the ACU - what efforts they have beeen making?

that is the $64,000 question

As I stated - I would try to give some indication of what the ACU had been involved in regarding the Bill in querstion.

Dave Luscombe is employed by the ACU and part of his many tasks include dealing with Govt, Industry and local Authorities.

He jhas had countless meetings with various parties including Govt ministers etc as well as numerous MP's. Lobbyst's and so on. This Bill is of course just another instance of legitimate motorcycle sport getting caught up in the ills of society so to speak.

I think we all recognise that the huge influx of cheap Chinese imports sold to anyone and his dog has had a detrimental effect on us - frankly people have become fed up to the teeth with riders hare assing around everywhere and causing mayhem - and consequently we all get tared with the same brush.

Anyway - enough from me. I contacted dave yesterday after readin OTF post and asked if he could send me a very brief synopsis of what the ACU were about and if they had an input into all this.

There is a lot of paperwork - so bvecause time is more than a littel pressing I have merely cut and pasted the initial reply Dave has just sent me to my request. I have not opened the link to Hansard - I will leave you bods to try to make sense of all this.

Will try to give more info as it is available etc - but hope this atr leat gives you some insight into the fact that then ACU are active and are trying to keep their eye on the ball

John Collins

Hi John

Sorry not to get this too you sooner

Thank you John and Dave.

This is more of what we need. Communication. Good work guys thank you.

Question why doesnt the ACU let us know more that they are working like this for us. I appreciate it and i am sure more of the members would not be so negative towards the ACU if they were made aware more often of the ammount of work put in on their behalf.

All positive points and ones that i am sure we would all agree with.

I would have no problem with the Police doing a "spot check" at a trial as i would take only seconds to do a datatag sweep of my bike.

Damn good idea. Wish i had thought of it :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Copy of documents recieved from the ACU

PRESS RELEASE

Transport Select Committee Motorcycle Strategy Report 2007

The Auto-Cycle Union (ACU) welcomes the publication of the Transport Select Committee