Just My Luck....!

gaz

I was playing about with my bikes' set up & to cut a long story short, i sheared one of the allen cap head screws in bottom fork yolk. does anyone know how i can get the rest of the screw out? i dont think theres much left in the thread but not enough to get the pliers on it.

funny thing is i didnt need to take it out!!! it came loose enough for the fork leg to move freely. I just thought it was abit tight, so thought it best to take it out and grease it!!!!!!!!!

gonna go sulk now......... :D

Dont know if you know but you can get extractors. You drill the bolt then slow screw in the extractor which is treaded to left handed (or is it right hand...) and as you screw it in it extracts the bolt.....

hope this help...

cheers

Andy

This is why you put anti sieze on those bolts, If it bound prior to shearing , you are screwed!

Soak it with the best solvent you can find and let it set, reapply as necc.

Bolt must be drilled perfectly on center with proper size.

Use heat to expand the ali. A gas torch, propane type! Which means remove it all!

If you are lucky, it will come out with an extractor.

ps- if the extractor breaks you are double screwed! :D

tried using an easy out today..... I must get in touch with trading standards as there was nothing easy about it! & it didnt come out.

wish I'd have thought of heating it up first.

gonna take the yolk into work, see what the guys there can do with it........... :D

This may be a bit extreme or totally irrelevent, but one of the pinch bolts for my front axle was broke off and seized in when I bought the bike. I tried the easy-out and broke the not-so-easy-out. Total disassembly of offending fork. Took lower fork tube to awesome welder guy. He cut out that section where the bolt was, filled in the chanel that was created when cutting out bolt and stuff. Re drilled and tapped the hole. I have had no problems since, works great. But I don't know if the yokes can be welded as the lower fork tube was. But maybe solution instead of buying a new yoke.

Edited by ZIPPY

If your work-mates can't sort it for you I would suggest you search for an engineering firm who can carry out spark-errosion.

The results aren't pretty but it may be the only way to avoid a brand new yolk. :D

cheers for the help guys. I did give it the guy at work. he took it away for an hour or two and it came back all sorted. Dont know what he did, but the result is great.

bike is now back together!