Ssdt Americans

nigel dabster

No -much of the reason is money and support. Chris wanted to go but there is no fund or corpotate interest in going, unless for the most part you are self funded. He got a top 50 first timer award when he rode in 2003, but after that there was no help!

On the results page it showed Geoff in 58th--are those the final standings?

Edited by trialsurfer

First I would ask Geoff himself. Did he have fun? What he thought of the best trials on earth. Was it his first scottish? Will he return again? Did he think he prepared enough. Does he even care his position.

It would be good if we could get our riders over there more often. But the Scottish is a trial with it`s own soul. How many first time riders break into the top 30%. How many enter and get turned down every year?

Most riders seem happy just to finish,some just for the time off work. For years it has not attracted the factory riders at all. When was the last time Doug, Adam,and Fuji rode it?

It has been great to see the new crop of riders doing so well. The top 5 have stayed so consistant all week. The next few years should see good results in the WTC. But will they return to the scottish?

Let's look at the glass half full shall we? Geoff moved up the leaderboard today. Geoff had 29 dabs today. That's four less than Harry Lampkin. Geoff kept his score under his rider number. And I believe Geoff did better than Ishy. Not bad for the first time.

I am too puzzled by Geoff's performance this week. I really expected him to be quite a way up. Finishing outside the top 50 surely does not reflect his true capabilities?

Either way, I am glad he came and made the effort.

It was good to have him here and I hoped he enjoyed it and takes away some good memories :thumbup:

Geoff's finish is not representative of what he is capable of. I believe he suffered somewhat due to the lack of Dennis Sweeten. Originally as I understand it was to be sort of a team effort, but just a week before they were due to fly to Scotland, Dennis suffered a pretty bad crash while riding his TLR 250, and subsequently was forced to sit out the Scottish this year with a cracked sternum.

As has been stated here in the past many times, it takes alot of experience to learn just what to do for good results in the Scottish Six Days. This is something Dennis may have been able to help with, providing insight and a bit of guidance to Geoff as he rode his first SSDT. Being thrown to the wolves at the last minute was not part of the plan. I'm sure it was quite an eye opener for Geoff to say the least.

I for one am proud of our lads, Geoff and Ishy who did us proud just by being there.

Some good points for sure. As someone who has ridden, albeit only once it was a huge eye opener. I guess we need go back through the archives now and see what Lane's prediction was on Geoff's placing. I believe he said top 10!!! I believe Jay is right, had Dennis been there, he would have done better for sure, but not top 10. Anyone who has ridden more than twice has a huge advantage over a newcomer, huge. Stan finished 13th in 84 on his Yam 250 mono, after a couple of attempts on Montesa's. The culmination of having two years experience, the mono yam, and Stan's incredible natural ability was a magical combination. One that will maybe never be beaten for a long time. The other thing is for someone from North America is, so many excellent rider's in the UK. You guys that don't follow too closely (Lane) might not recognize a lot of names on the leader board except past world champ riders, but it is regularly filled with the same names year after year from the UK.

I also know that Geoff does not like riding much in the cold and wet...........hmmm, does it ever get like that in the Scottish???? :thumbup: It will be interesting to hear how Geoff liked his experience. Either way, hopefully he had fun and will be back for another go!

Steve

I'd add to that point about the first year being one that a rider does for the pure experience of being in the Scottish. After that, you can go for places. I was lucky enough to fund a one-time effort years ago, and every day found myself dumb-struck by the conditions (6 days of downpours) and energy needed to keep slugging along.

On more than a few occasions, I'd ride a section while some VERY well known riders (the WTC lads still rode it back then) were still walking it. I'd then slog across the moors and trails as fast as I could go, following those pitiful little orange flags on the cane sticks. Upon arriving at the next group of sections, I'd see the same rider (or riders) in clean gear, having a cup of soup and talking to the press. Funny that, since they didn't pass me on the loop. Hmmm.

Didn't really matter anyway as it was a life dream and I can say I finished. I tell every North American trials rider who is interested in it that they HAVE to get there somewhow and ride.

Cheers .. Tom

Tom:

Exactly how I felt while I was riding. I was lucky to have my Dad, Outlaw Dave, Walt Healy and mad Harry Mckay as a cheering group and whiskey carriers(those rode rides are cold!). Only now after 15yrs am I thinking about going back with my son in 6yrs when he can ride too. That will be a trip of a lifetime!

Steve

No one has said it, but Congrats to Ishy. He placed #157. He is kind of an American. He talks funny and writes funny but he rode and did pretty damm good. And I bet he didnt drink one beer for the whole 6 days.

I feel sorry for Geoff, the final results tell nothing of the true story, but by the end of the week he was starting to get the hang of it, I hope he goes back and has another few rides, I know he could secure a top twenty or better.

In answer to the question, No!! his result was not a true representation of his ability.