Sherco Virgin

the addict

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we going for a World Record with this "Sherco Virgin" thread as it does appear to have gone down the path of covering every single thing there is to know about Sherco's?

I need that much memory to store this thread that I will need a new computer shortly! :icon_salut:

Ah bugger................your right..............sorry John, maybe it is time to end the World record attempt, that Xispa thread will take some beating anyway as ive run out of things to post on the Caby now and I'm only waffling and padding last few pages. Its been a great journey though,few problems to start with but all seems to be coming together nicely now, just think though............if I had bought a Gasser the thread might have been 30 pages or more.

Thanks Mark, I'll pm you tonight about the bearing mate :icon_salut:

Just to keep us going

Justin did you ever take the flywheel off your bike and see if the two map ignition can be retarded by moving the stator or is it fixed ?

anybody know what the reference c4 means on the end of a bearing number, the sherco mains are c4s, i think C3 has more bearings which are smaller than standard but I dont know what C4 is ?

cheers

Not had the flywheel off yet soz, but will have a look next week as i am definately noticing the caby abit of a handfull in the streams and rocks up north, if i can retard the timing ok I will give it a go and let you know. The 2 stage switch is nothing but a pain, had it taped up since i had the bike as it runs **** on map 2. Bike down here though power wise/grip is spot on but very noticable getting away from me in the streams which I mistook at first as the bars being in the wrong position

Sorry John B, Cope and Baldilocks are padding now

Edited by The Addict

Baldi,

The C3, C4 refers to the manufactured clearances of the bearing. Things must be able to move you know, and carry a boundry layer of oil!

If that switch is not worth it, I would be tempted to hardwire the thing and chunk the switch! Or maybe hide a micro switch under the tank! :D

Edited by copemech

Yep, I am pretty sure the numbers will equate to .001 inch each, or in other words, a C3 will have .003 in. standard clearance when new.

Seems I recall that the main bearings in the later model Sherco's are running some type of ceramic material or coating as well. If I were going to the trouble to replace them, I would stick with the factory parts rather than a generic match to save a few quid! Might be better off in the long run. There are just some things that I only want to do ONCE! :D

Just,

John.B? That's not Bliss is it?

Had a good outing today, working some setup for our regional event. Lots of big up's and down's on a dry sand and rock dusty loop with lots of rollers to throw you! Tough stuff where the rear is hard to control going downhill. All I can say is the darned thing works so well that once again, the lost motion issue and increased sensitivity may cause me to start hitting the rear disc with a bit of the overspray of the WD40 when cleaning the bike! Just very sensitive! :D