Ship To Shore Radio

Andy

Pile o' *****!

One of the things I enjoy is listening to the shouts of encouragement/bollockings from the minders to the riders. It doesn't matter whether you can understand the language or not either as the minder screams for Taddy and Kuroyami used to make me smile the most.

I can't imagine Mart, Jimbo or Mr. Galway going all shy on us and whispering soothing words into little microphones...

If minders are allowed to give instructions (which they are) then I feel that there is nothing wrong with them being able to do it using a radio link. It's only what co-drivers do in Rally cars.

I've managed to get a copy of the transcript from Fujigas's radio link.

Viking North Utsire:

Southeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in Viking, becoming variable 3 or 4. Slight or moderate, occasionally rough in west. Fog patches. moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

Section 1.

Southeast backing tyre half right northeast 0 or 1, becoming variable 2 or 3 occasionally 5. Head up and stand on it. Slight or moderate. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

Forties Cromarty Forth:

Southeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first. Moderate. Fog patches, occasional rain. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

Section 2.

We're coming in low out of the rising sun. Southeast perfect at the backing northeast 2 or 3, occasionally 5 at first. Slight or moderate. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

Taxi.

We've got a fare from Motegi to Osaka. Dave are you anywhere near there?

Edited by Cota Kid

Sport going too far in my opinion, I would even get rid of the Minders.

Man and machine against each other, point being you can get a really good minder that is a definate advantage over the other competitors, bordering on outside assistance!! so your not on a level playing field.

I know technology should move forward, but the WTC is suffering with this with so few competitors competing in each class.

It is getting like Formula 1 and look at that procession, turning the clock back will never happen, but wouldn't it be great if we could get a little bit closer to where our sport used to be, but that is a whole new debate!

I wish I could have radio communication with my other half, at least I have the control to turn her off then :(

I wish I could have radio communication with my other half, at least I have the control to turn her off then :blink:

Now there's a valid point for all of us :(

Seriously, If the FIM are going to allow this then why bother reducing the number of minders, they could have any amount of input if they are on the right channel/frequency, sound a bit daft to me.

Edited by Slapshot 3

Sport going too far in my opinion, I would even get rid of the Minders.

Man and machine against each other, point being you can get a really good minder that is a definate advantage over the other competitors, bordering on outside assistance!! so your not on a level playing field.

I know technology should move forward, but the WTC is suffering with this with so few competitors competing in each class.

It is getting like Formula 1 and look at that procession, turning the clock back will never happen, but wouldn't it be great if we could get a little bit closer to where our sport used to be, but that is a whole new debate!

I wish I could have radio communication with my other half, at least I have the control to turn her off then :(

I agree Gizza, so why do club's think they need to follow suit, why can't the club state in the supplementary regs, that minders and outside assistance will not be tolerated.

The top teams and riders in the world are concerned only about what is best for them and the team, and will do what it takes to try and get that bit of an advantage over the other team.

It isn't that same game, so why try to keep up with the world championship scene. I always thought the best thing about the club and club trials, was the sensible like minded folk who had a good perspective and

social closeness that isn't found in other forms of motor sport.

World champions come and go, but there are faces out on the hill every weekend that were giving to the sport of trials from the first trial I ever rode, and are still giving now, the club lad/lass who drift into trials for the easy going fun factor seem to end up staying around a long time, while in for the quick fix, it should be done like this type don't seem to be around for very long at all.

The number of riders who can contest at world level has changed dramatically over the past 30 years as the events and what the rider can do has got more spectacular, but the spectator and outside support for the sport has declined, why?.

Be interesting to see if Montesa HRC proceed with it in the further rounds. I do not necessarily see it as an advantage and infact could even prove to be a dis-advantage. Just imagine a minder suddenly barking a command direct into your headset at a critical moment could be a distraction.

I know I am a bit slow here but was wetting meself when I read this :wacko:

that's just an age thing Ian.... :(:blink:

I was busy thinking about the copyrights of the Shipping Forecast

Edited by Slapshot 3