Monty 4 Stroke

bigfoot

What about this scenario......

The cota 315 has finished production, there is now no more 2 stroke montesa's.

Sales of the new 4 stroke bomb dramatically as people don't buy them because:

1. They are too expensive

2. Nobody wants to buy the first run of a new unproven model

3. They don't have the power/user friendliness of the 2 strokes

4. They are difficult/costly to maintain etc..............

As montesa don't make any other type of motorcycle, (even a 125/200 for the kids) they have no other source of income, therefore having only sold a handfull of the 4 stroke bikes they end up in serious financial trouble.

Surely it is a seriously risky gamble NOT to have a 2 stroke alongside the new bike because the F.I.M. could just as easily turn round and allow cleaner 2 strokes to continue.

What do you think? :lol:

Edited by t-shock 250

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UniCam? Does not look like the CRF UniCam to me. Looks more like the Honda Helix head (http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/helix.html). Appears to be a SOHC with maybe just two valves. No flat head.

And note: Honda lawn mowers have not had Flat Heads for at least 20 Years. Current models even have SOHC. Maybe that is what that is? 

I agree. It doesn't look like a Unicam head to me. OTOH, the right side of the motor doesn't look like a two-valve design, either.

I had been hoping Honda would do something really unexpected with the motor design. They have some interesting pushrod ATV motors (including a liquid-cooled, four-valver!) with dry sumps (integrated into the motor!) to help shorten the height of the motor. Or maybe a motor with an oval piston! Or, something we've never seen before anywhere.

Instead, it seems the big surprise is the fuel injection system. If any trials manufacturer is going to get EFI right the first time, it's Honda.

I wasn't looking forward to kickstating the bike until I kicked over a 450R ATV. It's an easy kick, if not always a first-kick starter.

Edited by MalibuDon

I certainly could be wrong, but it appears to be a SOHC with two valves. Cam is centered on head unlike Unicam. You can see two distinct rocker arm shafts on the right side of the head.. The plug (boot) is angled. (although I would not be surprised if the plug hole was not drilled on this for show only model) On a four valve head the plug is usually centered. The rocker shafts appear rather short for a four valve head. Doubtful, but it could use a rather shorter forked rocker like the early XRs, TL 250s, or the more modern quads

Don

Why don`t Montesa put a 2 stroke in the same frame as the 4 stroke ? So there is an option !  :lol:

There is no montesa 2 stroke, the engine is honda's. Honda is run on very strict economic and regimented production, therefore they will not allocate a production slot for the (now old) engine. My guess would be that their view is probably to produce it would simply take sales from the 4t.

You'd probably be surprised how much trial and error is actually involved...just that we, the public never get to see it in Honda's case.

Tell this to the CRF250 owners. The bike isn't quite sorted out yet engine wise. Oil burning issues have plagued the bike from day one. Honda will fix it though.

It is possible that Honda could use a mechanical fuel injection pump thereby negating the requirements of a battery for starting. The power provided by the alternator could easily energize the ecm and associated sensors. At minimum a crank sensor, mass airflow and throttle position would be required. This would be very compact. A map sensor is really not required since the maf sensor could regulate fuel flow closely enough.

Most other sensors on fuel injected vehicles are for emmisions/driveability reasons.

Edited by OldnSlo

Exactly Jordi. Why when a few of the dealers are now inviting orders are Sandifords not pushing for the big sell? The interest is high and so the pre-sell should be in full swing. Most websites are carrying some sort of coverage but Sandifords still seem to be trying to sell the 03 model!?

I aint slagging em off , but seems a mystery why they dont follow the same push as Honda machines usually receive/expect??

Even if they dont know , you would have thought that they would put out (as you say in a press release) information , no matter how basic.

Look at when Scorpa were trying to launch the sy, they kept giving development spec and pics of the sy well before the bike reached production!!

Are they now more interested in Enduro?? :(