Tdn--results

trialsurfer

I was at the TdN as a reporter/photographer for this website and other magazines and I too was impressed by their ability. Pat Smage is a good rider on a 125 and Chris Florin too, in fact all four did well. Trouble is, they need to ride over here in Europe to progress much further I think. Well done to the lads.

Ish:

I disagree. They used to show each rider's score within the team score back in the day. If for one find it interesting to see how each individual did within the team. I was wondering the same thing as Titanium and sorry that those scores are no longer showed.

Steve

Ishy is right. it is a team event in every way, in spirit, scoring and results

Scoring at the TdN count the best three rides by a team per section. This means that the fourth score per section is not counted. This creates many strategy oppertunities.

For example: If on lap 1 the first three riders have gone clean in a section the the fourth man is free to try a new line or gear that they may use on lap 2.

Or, say they are undecided about what line to take, the first rider can sacrifice his ride trying the line and then let his teammates know if the line is good or not.

Or, if time is tight on lap 2 and the first three rides are clean then the fourth is not needed. That rider can punch out and save valuable time.

Or say the first three scores are 0, 0, 1. Then the fourth man knows that only a clean ride by him will do the team any good, so it must be a clean ride or die. This results in that rider risking it all for the clean and maybe getting a five, whereas in a normal trial he may have played it safe and taken a 1 with a saftey dab.

The are many more strategies. How many can you think of?

All these factors and more make a riders individual score totally meaningless for comparison purposes. These factors are also what make the TdN such a special and interesting event. This scoring system allows all the riders of a team to make a contribution.

Congrats to the American Team. It is a great result.

Edited by the observer

Sod it!! we would of been two place's higher up the score board if Bob hadn't fived that last section, he let the team down.

That is exactly the point .

The best riders from each country are not always in the selected team. An appraisal of the ring in or prefered riders that have been chosen over much better credentalled riders does give the selectors something to answer for when the results are not forthcoming !

I'm with Steve and Titanium. Other "individual" sports show the individual scores. MXdes Nations, Golf, Tennis etc and they too, have many variables which could affect scoring.

Dr HUd, I will try and explain it again. Here is just one example for you to consider. The Brits and Spain are locked in a great battle and they are tied after 1 lap. On lap 2 the team decides to have Dougie ride last on each section to pull out a clean if needed. On 10 of the sections Graham, Dibs and Browny go clean. On those same 10 sections Doug punches a five to save time as his ride was not needed. His individual score for that lap will be 50 points higher than the others. It will look like Doug had a terrible ride when in fact he never even rode those 10 sections. It was not needed. This is just one example of why the individual scores at the TdN are meaningless for comparisons.

I know I am repeating myself but I don't think you understand the rules and strategies of the TdN.

The rules for MXdN, Golf and Tennis are different from the TdN.

the observer

And yes, Barry, I did make note in the World Championship column! Too bad most are not accustomed to looking there for US results! :wacko:

All said, they had a great year! Could not ask for much more! :blink:

As a sidenote, I should add that the majority of the TDN USA team(plus) will be at the Central Regional event in OK, Octobertest!!!, two weeks from now! It is worth the trip for many of you snowbirds, as the event will have ALL classes, so bring your bike, kids, whatever, before you get snowed in for the winter! The exhibition sections for the pro's make it worth the trip! Typically a nailbiter! :P

Add to that, there is already a BIG money event scheduled early next year at the Tishamingo, Rock Creek National site! All classes welcome!

If I didn't understand your scenerio the first time, what makes you think I'm smart enough to get it the second time?

Ok, so I'll reverse my opinion... keep the individual scores secret, just like the team scores! The US team has its best finish and its hardly noted!