Observing Rules

phb

nice one to zippy for offering a fresh perspective on it, but i think woody has excellently put it in historical context.

the only point i'll try and make is the typical press ganged and/or "old skool" observer has only ever had it explained to them that trials marking is about putting feet on the ground. the more subtle/obscure matters, such as; stopping and giving penalties/failures (as well as resting against rocks, trees, grounding out, etc have never really been explained to them that they feel confident enough to act in confidence when observing

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the 2007 ACU handbook.

TSR22A, Stop permitted.

Failure shall be deemed if :- The engine stops WHILST ANY PART OF THE MACHINE, WITH THE EXCEPTIONS OF THE TYRES, TOUCHES THE GROUND OR THE RIDER IS FOOTING.

So if you are stuck on a stump on the bashplate and the bike stalls , well sorry its a 5

TSR22B, Non stop.

Failure if the machine ceases to move in a forward direction.

So if you are stuck on a stump sorry again its a 5.

There is no mention of engine stopping in this section of the handbook.

When I am observing I allow 2 seconds of stationary before I start giving failures.

But I guess if you are observing so long as you treat each rider the same you cant be too wrong.

Edited by gser