Trials In Kenya

greeves

Kenya is a country very close to me, it's my second home. For many reasons I have spent in the bushes three of the last fifteen years of my life, that is a 20% of my recent life.

Among the things I have enjoyed in Kenya is of course trials, not competition trials, but adventure trials, long trials routes that have led me to enjoy fantastic places, spectacular scenery, unforgettable moments and great friends.

Now Kenya is going through a bad time, and some friends there are struggling.

Kenya also exists for trials.

Impala, Pete. Springboks have different horns and have a white and black stripe running horizontally across their sides.

Place where I used to work we had a herd of springbok. Buggers can breed!

Sweet memories. No disrespect to NZ but I loved Africa. Just no place for the white man. Bad news what's happening in Kenya presently.

Great shots Javier. I thought I had it licked riding next to dik dik, ostriches and rooikatte.

Superb photos. However where you get Zebra and other such consumables, you also get the "consumers" such as lions. Can you outrun one?! :wacko:

That is true :bouncy: , but it is also true that when you find big "consumers" riding a trials bike such as spotted hyenas, leopards or lions, you run as fast as you can one way, and the "consumer" also run as fast as he cans, but in the opposite way. Bikes smell and sounds too bad, better to run away.

Big thread are buffalos and elephants. Better not to ride in the areas they normally use. Elephants can chase you for miles and miles and can run up to 40-50 km/h. Buffalos are quite shy, allways run away when in groups. Big, old, alone males (mbogos) are the dangerous ones, arrogant animals. Hippos are also dangerous and extremely fast in the ground, but impossible to find them certain hours certain places, sunset and sunrise avoid river or lake banks. Belive me it is very safe when you know where you are riding of course.

TooFastTim, it is an Impala as you say, springboks don

MadAlec Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Awesome photos and I would guess it would have been an awesome experience riding amongst the wildlife

I tried to do the same thing here in the USA. Unfortunately the ZOO director just did not understand. As I was being bodily thrown from the zoo, all I could do was yell out, "Don't you understand, you have the best sections around!!"

OK the preceding is a load of crap, but I thought it was funny. :wacko:

Javier, I've always wanted to see Lake Naivasha and the Djinn palace. I have a thing about the whole Happy Valley scene. Interesting part of colonial history. You probably don't know this but I grew up in Zambia in the '60s. I have many great memories of that country. As a kid your parents biggest fear was not whether you'd been run over by a bus or whether you'd fallen in the wrong crowd but whether you'd been bitten by a snake and if so which species.

Here's the co-ordinates of the house in which I used to live in Zambia: 12

My thoughts exactly ... think I'd want to be on a ktm 525!

I think you guys are overating the wildlife in Africa. Major point is that the wildlife has a serious problem with bipedal primates. Good reason for this. They tend to get eaten by bepedal primates so they've developed a distinct aversion for them. It's the stupid ones you worry about. The ones that haven't developed cognative abilities beyond "if it moves I must eat it".

Lions are pretty scary creatures, but they'll generally leave you alone. However if there's a pack and they're hungry. Panic. Forget cheetahs. They're not that big (about the size of a great dane and not as strong. Leopards...hmmm, but only at night. Bull elephants in must. Forget it. A KTM 525 is a good idea. Hipppos are the second largest killers of humans in Africa, again mostly nocturnal attacks when said bipedal primates stumble on a heard grazing in a river bank at night. Otherwise canoeing into a breeding heard in a river. Crocs? Hmm, that might be a point. However both crocs and hippos are unlikely to be a problem unless your trials bike has a schnorkle.

The biggest killer in Africa is the humble mosquito. Take your tabs and you'll be ok.

*Edit* Sorry Javier I just reread your last post. I forgot about buffalos. But we agree on most.

Edited by TooFastTim