The First Pics Of The New Project

jaylael

:D Anything we wear these days makes us look fat ! duhh!!! I'll call my brother and see what kind of mood he is in after his first daughter just graduated from Boise ... I may get him to box it up for you and put it on a truck ... Pm me your shipping address . And did you measure the frame yet for any changes ?

But you will have to get my bro off his a$$$ and get his gg out to a event ! He's alot better than he thinks (imho)...

Bike looks SWEET ! and even sounds good !

:( Glenn

And I just remembered , didn't hodi make a 175 and a 250 ? bigger is sometimes better !?

Edited by axulsuv

The skid plate is bent up from mercilessly whacking it against all rocks in my path, but the front part of the frame has not moved.

I tightened up all the engine mount bolts and all is well. This thing is tougher than it looks!

Hodaka made 175s and 250s, but I was advised to stay clear of them by a trusted friend and former pabatco employee. I am told they are too heavy and bulky to do the job. Believe me I know I could use some more power at times. Even 200 ccs would be an improvement. Once again if you bore out this engine that far and stroke it etc. it gets so the transfer passages are intruded upon super badly by the new sleeve.

Every machinist I approach with this tells me it isn't practical, and they would rather not do it. The fact that it HAS been done before is simply a testament to Curt Alexander who is the genius behind the original Bull Frog 175 cc Hodaka which was based on an Ace 100 engine! My hat is off to him.

Edited by JayLael

Just a note of congratulation. Just got back from California and I opened up my new issue of on-line Cycle News and there, in living color, is a nice, big photo of our own Jay Lael. A superb ride in the Modern Classic Expert Class at the Northwest Regional AHRMA Trials Series held at Crooked River Ranch in Oregon got him first place.

Nice job, Jay!

Jon

I am posting to you all from the field. so to speak. I have been in northeastern Oregon, at Athena's Hodaka Days Celibration. I laid out the trial as I have done nearly since it's inception. I managed to find a few new sections in a slightly more southerly spot just 100 yards from our tried and true sections near the grain elevator. We rode seven sections, two loops. I know it seems a bit ridiculous, but due to time constraints and the fact that most of the participants do not normally ride trials, for them this can be a big challenge. The trial came off very nicely with no injuries or unhappy riders. I was interviewed by the local newspaper, which was really fun for me. The trial is open to any Hodaka powered bikes, so the Sherdaka was the perfect tool for the job. I finished on three points the bike was fantastic. (yes it is really nice to have such a great bike) :)

Tomorrow will be the scrambles at Diamond Eye manufacturing, right in Athena. Wish me luck as I will be racing the new and improved Combat Wombat. Cheers Jay

Edited by JayLael

• 4 weeks later...

Since it's been riding season I have been very busy and thought it might be a good time to update a bit on this subject. I'm still riding the Sherdaka in modern events while the Sherco is still down, but promises to be running soon. The local trial at the weekend put on by seasoned trials veterans Keith Ditmars and Kent Zimmerman, was held at Lolo Pass near Mount Hood. The blue skies and temperatures in the ninteys, made for an idyllic setting for trials riding, if a bit on the hot side. The first section featured a climb straight up a very steep embankment, to a height of about 35 feet and a traverse and descent off to the left. Even the best riders all took points on this, while on the Hodie, I had no chance. You can see the turmoil on my face in the enclosed pic #3. My friend Kevin Krahel volunteered to spot for me and I gave it a go, the little Hodaka shrieking it's guts out in second gear, launched well up the wall, and stuck there like a very nervous fly. With Kevin's help I managed to get down in one piece albeit with a five. The second section was much the same, another hillclimb to the moon, which I could not make on the poor little Hodaka, allthough I managed a three on the advanced line, it was of no help. Another five. The two photos on the big rock are from section three where I managed a two point ride. Things were looking up. Then on the long ride to four, I noticed oil stripes on the ground, and sure enough they led me to our Pal Odus Lambert, who could have done with some metal putty to jam into the gushing hole in the bottom of his Montesa 4rt. He turned around and limped to the truck and I'm sure he was disgusted. Meanwhile the little Hodaka just kept right on ticking. We rode two loops of 15 sections with a fairly tough loop. Allot of sweating was done by all I'm sure. I managed to finish probably last, but the results are not out yet and I got the heck out of there to head back home since it had been such a long hot days trialing.

post-27-1216174350.jpg

post-27-1216174569.jpg

post-27-1216174677.jpg

post-27-1216176045.jpg

Edited by JayLael

Then on the long ride to four, I noticed oil stripes on the ground, and sure enough they led me to our Pal Odus Lambert, who could have done with some metal putty to jam into the gushing hole in the bottom of his Montesa 4rt. He turned around and limped to the truck and I'm sure he was disgusted.

A reminder of his SSDT ride? :wall:

Kinnel, were you involved with the Odus adventure? I work with Kary, so I have heard a few good tidbits about the Yanks in Scotland awhile back. It sounds like the Queen's servicemen have contributed greatly to Odus finishing the event. I also gather a few locals had taken notice of the Yanks in Fort William. One waitress at the local inn had said something to the effect of, "Look at the size of ya! What do you eat for dinner, half a cow?" Odus and Kary are just big lads, and she was probably having a bit of fun with them. As nice a bunch of guys as you'll ever meet, and I was proud to have them representing us abroad. I can underdstand why folks would take notice of them. To me it was almost like a historic event that any Yanks could be part of the Scottish anytime! These days it can be pretty expensive to go that far. I can't seem to be bothered to make the trip as far as Canada anymore, much less the British Isles. Once when I was in my twenties I was a regular pest up north, but I guess old age has worn me down to a local. (we're a local shop, there's nothing for you here) :thumbup: My range of travel just keeps getting smaller and smaller. There is a trial at IOCO BC this weekend and I wish I had the energy to pull it off. Seems like only yesterday my friends and I would never miss the superstars trial, and now I for one am just a lame old geezer content to care for my patch of grass. I figure I can get my Sherco back online this weekend and it will be time well spent. Those big climbs really aren't for the Hodie. Dave it sounds like Donner was awesome as usual. Good for you that you went! JL

A reminder of his SSDT ride? :huh:
Edited by JayLael

Kinnel, were you involved with the Odus adventure?

I think Perce and Dennis were with him when it happened, I was told about it in the bar that night and I remember thinking "Where can I buy some of this magical liquid metal?" :huh:

I met up with Kary and Dennis again when visiting Ishyville a few years back, all good lads :thumbup:

Kinnel, Kary had told me a funny story about the trip to Scottland. Seems several people had told him, "In todays political climate, allot of people don't like Americans, so don't draw attention to yourself, and try to blend in." So the first thing Kary does is bring his big old cowboy hat and proceed to almost never take it off the entire time they were in Scottland. ! Now that's funny. I can attest that Kary has at least some credentials as a cowboy. He and I were riding horses in the back country near my former home outside Molalla, when his horse flipped over backwards into the brush and rocks, crushing his right arm into a letter S. Seems the pommel of the saddle had come down across his arm with a 1000 lb horse attached to it. All I heard was allot of crashing and snapping of brush, then I hollered down to him and he said, "I been in a real bad wreck, Jay!" I dropped the leads on both of my horses and scrambled down to Kary, and his horse Fred was standing there trembling and so was Kary. He had allready gone into shock and was beginning to sweat profusely. "Can you ride?" I asked him foolishly just not thinking. "No?" he said uncertainly. I took Fred by the lead and Kary began his shuffling 1/2 mile walk down to my house. About fifty yards along the trail we could hear the thundering of hooves as my two horses and his little red mule he was ponying came strafing down the trail at him going warp 10. We both had to duck into the brush as they passed, first going down, then going back up, then down again! I really couldn't do much about it, as they were all wound up and having a field day with the unusual excitement. Somehow we all made it back to the house where my wife called 911, and then we took the Ford pickup down to the Hospital some 40 miles away. When Kary and I paraded into the Emergency room, he was still wearing a pair of chinks and a black felt hat. The cute young nurses were whispering to eachother stuff like, "That cowboy didn't want any painkillers!" and "I didn't know there was a rodeo in town." We just let 'em think we were rodeo cowboys I guess, and have never seen such good treatment and courtesy at the emergency room. It was the direct opposite experience, from going in there dressed in motocross gear. I suggest if you get badly hurt, drop by home and change into your rodeo cowboy outfit. :thumbup:

Edited by JayLael

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jay:

Not trying at all to hi-jack this thread of your loverly Sherdaka which is way cool, but I figure that you would read any new post on here. I am bringing my mighty Fantic 300 down to the Points events in Lolo Pass in Sept. Ishy has challenged me to a twinshock duel. We are gonna ride the Int lines against each other, and I thought it would be cool too if you joined us!!! We could take some pics of each other and post them on here when we are done! let me know dude!

Cheers, Steve