The First Pics Of The New Project

jaylael

It has been awhile since I posted on this project. Here are a few photos of the current bike. I had allot of re work to get the bike done and now it's about where I thought I was before. I guess I thought if I wished hard enough the front tire would clear. Whatever the case I am now looking back at the series of events which led me to here, and it really has been fun overall. I needed to secure the front of the motor in order to build the back part and the head stays, so in a way my first effort was simply a jig, and a source of welding practice time.

Looking at the photos one can tell that I have long harbored a good deal of fondness for the Mecatecno Dragonfly and Skywalker trials bikes. This Hodaka should sort of help to satisfy that longing to own one of these fascinating and rare spanish bikes. The top of the engine head is secured to the brame steering head area, with a straight piece of chrome moly tubing which was scavenged from a scrapped 1982 Maico frame, (so it's German quality steel) and it has been tig welded very solidly. I think it should be strong enough.

I have plans to finish it and ride it a bit before really finalizing the color scheme. I have had so much fun imagining the bike in different colors. Trying not to be too hasty in deciding. The black front fender is a temporary until I get together enough dough to buy the Sherco items. Anyway, hope those of you who are following this story will find these interesting.

That is cool. Looks like it's coming along well.

Jon

Where did you get the black fender?

Looking Good,

did I see a skidplate mounted on the bike? Or is that a puzzle to solve later?

The front fender is an old preston petty. I trimmed it to match the contours of the Sherco fender at the ends. I think I can heat it up and bend it down in back which will look better. The Skid plate looks to be done. No rubber mounts just bolted up to the sherco mounts in back and custon mount brackets to front of the engine. This should be sufficcient for what I want to do.

Is the front fender not clearing, or is it the tire?

Would different front forks help? Or shorten the travel?

Is it hitting the engine or the exhaust?

Dave, It doesn't hit now. Before is when it used to hit. A good bit of the front of the cyl. head had to be ground off as well as eliminating my flat strap front subframe and redoing the header pipe to clear. Now I can tune the forks to best performance for my weight, and still not have the front tire collide with the engine, frame or exhaust on full compression.

http://www.adultswim.com/shows/venturebros/

OK I figured out where the expression, "Cool Beans!" comes from! The venture brothers.

They are sort of like a parody of Johnny Quest. I have watched most of the episodes.

The glacially slow forward progress of the Sherdaka inches ahead. I still haven't run it because the gas tank isn't finished. Many of the details are coming together.

I trimmed off all the excess plastic and made a top trim piece out of the original gas tank.

I fabricated an adapter to connect the Sherco airbox to the Hodaka carb, which is a Delorto from a 1986 Fantic "301 progress" E bay item.

post-27-1211853980.jpg

post-27-1211854116.jpg

post-27-1211854539.jpg

post-27-1211855282.jpg

Edited by JayLael

<_< I never heard of the "venture bros." , I wrote it cause I'm a diehard speed racer fan ! And I had just got home from seeing the new movie

with my kids ! Trixie said it a few times in the movie ...

I believe it's gonna work fine for your intended purpose , ie , fantic and many others have used the engine as a stressed member of the chassis .... And besides , all it can do is break !!! So you make some accurate chassis measurements, (footpeg to front axle , tripleclamp to top shock mount etc.) Then fire it up , take her out and abuse her a weebit , then check all your reference measurements and see if anything has changed ! And I'm sure you know that if it does change , find out why and customize ! because as it moves , it fatigues and gets much weaker !!

Looks way cool though , great job

Glenn

Copey: I will resrict myself to 5 foot and lesser leaps. <_< Alot lesser!

Glenn: I have four seasons worth of Venture brothers on CD. I think they are hilarious! Try watching a bit of it sometime.

The Sherdaka is getting allot closer to "done" and the frame is hanging up covered in black epoxy primer. I need to get it running in time for a trials event coming up wednesday, and also another trials event coming up sunday june 15th. These should be the bike's first outings. Talk about a trial by fire. Here's hoping it will work.

I am leaning toward a Mecatecno Skywalker paint scheme.

Edited by JayLael

Copey: I will resrict myself to 5 foot and lesser leaps. :( Alot lesser!

Glenn: I have four seasons worth of Venture brothers on CD. I think they are hilarious! Try watching a bit of it sometime.

The Sherdaka is getting allot closer to "done" and the frame is hanging up covered in black epoxy primer. I need to get it running in time for a trials event coming up wednesday, and also another trials event coming up sunday june 15th. These should be the bike's first outings. Talk about a trial by fire. Here's hoping it will work.

I am leaning toward a Mecatecno Skywalker paint scheme.

Neat bike! Please post photos, preferably before trying the 5 foot drop offs......<_<

Jon