08 3.2 Opinions

asc

Tried an 08 Sherco 4t at the weekend and they have a lot of power. This in itself shouldn't be a problem but it is the way the power is delivered. Very quick off the throttle (slow action fitted), snappy, picks up revs very quickly in any of the first 3 gears, very easy to spin up the rear wheel. This was in a quarry, don't know what it would be like in mud. Very strong engine braking, more than the 05 4RT I had, about the same as an 07 Scorpa 4T I tried.

I found it difficult to ride without using the clutch because of the snappy power delivery, it made it difficult to feed power in gently at small throttle openings, not impossible because I'm used to riding like that but not easy enough. It felt like it could do with a lot more flyweel weight to temper the delivery and give it a bit more overun. It's more suited to riding on the clutch than the old fashioned way, not like an 05 bike I tried last year with a weight fitted - much more rideable. That could be lugged around on the throttle like an old-fashioned 4-stroke. The 08 can't really, too much power delivered too quickly.

It also stalled 2 or 3 times for no reason and didn't want to start up on one kick, it took a few. I'm not saying this is a problem, maybe the tickover was too low, which may also have exaggerated the engine braking. Wasn't my bike and I don't know what the tickover setting should be, I just got on it and rode it. However, the higher the tickover the more unsuitable it becomes to ride without the clutch. I ride my C15 with no tickover and it starts first kick everytime, no messing about getting the piston here or there before kicking.... but the modern 4-strokes aren't like that, they're more fussy.

Personal opinion is that I think they are too much of a handful for anyone other than a competent rider with modern riding technique. It could get you into trouble. Definitely not a novice bike.

i quite liked the montesa,i 've ridden a couple for ten minutes and i think that i would be alright,but they seem a little thin on the ground,i'd want an 07 with the new type cam,there seems to be plenty of 05 's about,so i was thinking about a new sherco ,i have ridden one for about 5 minutes but i was very unsure what i really thought about it ,reliability issues worried me as well,heard they were running warm,although from what i've seen they seem to start now and i have not even seen a sherco 4t in my centre yet.there are a few mont's and beta 4t's,i just fancy a change though,but i'm riding scotland and don't want starting problems/reliability issues.i know a montesa is the safe bet for scotland but i quite like something different.i ride the hard route so power issues don't really worry me.

i'm riding scotland and don't want starting problems/reliability issues.i know a montesa is the safe bet for scotland but i quite like something different.i ride the hard route so power issues don't really worry me.

Go for the Rev-4 or 4rt if you want reliability and build quality...

Extra power? A 300cc kit is now available for the Beta from John Lampkins (I think Ben Hemmo and Phil Disney have them along with Steve Saunders)

i love the gasgas but as soon as i had a go on the sherco 4 stroke i loved it. the power of the machine is awesome but also soft enough for any one of any ability. i think that the bike grips really well and at the sherco test day it was very muddy and slippy and i found that the best way to get grip on it was not to slowly feed the power in but to rev it hard and let the clutch out and the torque of the engine seems to be able to pull you up stuff even if the back wheel is spinning abit.the extra weight of the bike doesn`t seem to play a big part neitha and hopping about and stuff all seems to be done with little force and i found it easier than the 2 stroke bikes to get over rocks and stuff. overall i think that the sherco 4 stroke is the best out of all the 4 strokes atm for my liking and ive tried them all so i know if i had the money i would definitely go for the sherco.

Had one since Dec and is the nicest bike Ive ever rode. Always been a beta rider before but as soon as I rode one it felt right and I never usally get that riding someone elses bike. Im a clubman expert rider riding 250 2 strokes before and it is feckin powerful but smooth, nothing against gas gas owners but Ive never been able to get along with the power delivery of them? It seems to ride best like a 2 stroke using 1st 2nd and 3rd and clutch, not just 1st like the other 4 strokes tend to use. Reliability and starting is an issue but when going rides so nice and would be lovely for the scottish however if i was riding the scottish this year I think I would choose a mont or a 2 stroke mainly because my aim would be to finish with least amont of problems as possible.

Rode a friend of mines 07 bike, quick spin in a field, didn't bother doing a section as it's bloody awful, I'm buggered if I know how he rides it so well as he beats most of everybody most of the time with it. I wouldn't do the SSDT on one if you paid me.

I've had both a 4rt and an '07 Sherco 4t (about the same as an '08) and I must say I love the 3.2 4t. For me it is about the best trials bike I have ever ridden. Compared to the 4rt it is much lighter and has great power. Even my Uncle who has been a long time Montesa guy said he felt more confident on the 3.2. Zero reliability issues and oil changes are almost as easy as a 2t. Also starts easy hot or cold.

Woody, sound as if the CR is up a little on the bike. I wonder if the timing was bumped up too.

No Brian, completely standard bike bought new recently by one of our local riders, only change is a slow throttle.

I'm finally getting the hang of mine and I think it's just awesome.

The power is something else.

Of course there are two of us on it with the sidecar and finally got a nice muddy climb last sunday so I could let it rip in 3rd and it flew.

Shame I rode rubbish elsewhere!