Name The Year And The Rider

overthehill

Do you ever wish you didnt start something !!! :wacko:

the above is rubbish - Mart must have first ridden the SWM in 1980? although he is down as Bultaco in the programme - HELP BJ

the year is 1980 the photos are of course

Schreiber

Lampkin with J Reynolds watching

and the mystery rider who is .............??

Just a guess, the last rider could be of Finnish origin, it's certainly not Manuel Soler and I don't think it's Coutard, but there again I'm not supposed to take part in this!

If memory serves me correctly, Martin Lampkin defected to "Speedy Working Motor" just prior to riding the SSDT thanks to Mick Bowers and my old friend Jock Wilson, who set about importing the SWM's to the UK. The reason Mart defected was simple, Bultaco was due him money and being a professional rider, that's just unacceptable. The Bultaco concern survived a few more years as a workers co-operative hence the 199B bike is sometimes labelled the "Co-operative Sherpa"

Big John

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a guess, the last rider could be of Finnish origin, it's certainly not Manuel Soler and I don't think it's Coutard, but there again I'm not supposed to take part in this!

I can't see Vesty in there, wrong shape of chin and I suspect he's the only Finn that most would maybe recognise apart from Tommi Ahvahla and he would have been about 10......... Apart from Yrjo's brother Anttoni I can't find information or remember names of any other Finns around that time, stumped..... :wacko::dunce:

i also took a good photo of vesty in 1980 but will keep that one for this years programme but here's another shot of JR from the same year while you still keep guessing..........

the mystery rider was consistently a top 20 finisher of the era

post-114-1206491105.jpg

Edited by overthehill

i also took a good photo of vesty in 1980 but will keep that one for this years programme but here's another shot of JR from the same year while you still keep guessing..........

the mystery rider was consistently a top 20 finisher of the era

Yes, I have to agree Rockaria, it looks very like Chris Clarke from Sheffield.

I can name the observer in the OTH extra photo of JR, it's Margaret Muirhead! :wacko:

Big John

Cant let the bloke behind that pic of John Lampkin go unrecognised,Its Ted Breffitt,held the record for most SSDT finishes ,something like 26 on the trot. Rode an Ossa for many years. Teds dad was something of a legend up there too...

Absolutely right Trickymick! Ted Jnr rode many times and in his early days on an Ariel, better known on an Ossa for many years, his father Ted Snr rode Norton and I think a Douglas and a small CZ one year.

Big John

Only other Mont rider I can think of is Mike Skinner.

Ted Breffitt also rode one of the last short stroke Ajays, his had the last recorded engine number and Ralph Venables the last frame number or vice versa.

So they say, but I'm sure the frame number on my short stroker was two digits later than Venables bike, which was an ex-Mick Waller machine!

I had a hunch it was Sooty Sutton, but there again I wasn't really allowed to play this time :wacko:

Big John

So they say, but I'm sure the frame number on my short stroker was two digits later than Venables bike, which was an ex-Mick Waller machine!

I had a hunch it was Sooty Sutton, but there again I wasn't really allowed to play this time :wacko:

Big John

Annoyed, looked at a few pics I have of Chris Sutton yesterday but couldn't find any with the dodgy Tache, knew he'd ridden Monts back then but...ah well. maybe there's a quiz out there about dodgy taches on trials riders.....Prof?????

NEXT.....