Bar End Plugs

ham2

What do you think?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Those small metal or plastic plugs at the ends of your handle-bars.any use?

• No, never thought about them.
    • No, a good rider doesn't need them.
    • No, tried them but weren't effective/caused other problems
    • Yes, never tested them,just being safety concious
    • Yes, essential kit,I wouldn't be alive today if..blah,blah.

no plugs = holes in end of grip

Plugs = hole in end of grip is well plugged.

I use bar ends. Just personal choice to avoid changing grips whenever the end wears through (oh and they came with the bike)

You see! Saves money on grips, Zipper probably has his from when he bought the bike! :thumbup:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those "bark buster" wrap around type handguards are just right for breaking your forearm when your hand slips off the grip and goes through through the loop.

This has happened many times in enduros and many riders kindly warned me of this when i started enduro racing with a pair fitted. I certainly wouldn't fit them to a trials bike :thumbup:

If your problem is riding into trees then maybe you are doing something else wrong?

Those "bark buster" wrap around type handguards are just right for breaking your forearm when your hand slips off the grip and goes through through the loop.

This has happened many times in enduros and many riders kindly warned me of this when i started enduro racing with a pair fitted. I certainly wouldn't fit them to a trials bike :thumbup:

If your problem is riding into trees then maybe you are doing something else wrong?

I don't know what sort of terrain you ride enduros in but where I live the landscape is heavily covered with plant life much smaller than trees (regrowth, woody weeds, vines etc) and which typically whack semi-continuously against the barkbusters both sides even when you are riding along in perfect control in the middle of the track. It's not called single track for nothing. When riding in open grazing country or in desert type terrain or on a 4WD track, it is less of an issue.

I agree yes if someone is hitting trees there is something wrong with the way they are riding. The person who wrote about using them on a trials bike mentioned catching on vines, not trees - easily done without barkbusters and not a pleasant experience.

I use bar ends, basically because I accidentally bought grips with holes already left in the end and so I needed something to plug the hole, they seem a useful bit of kit, easy to fit, saves grips and money in the long run.

I was gonna vote but the poll seems quite heavy on the 'bar ends aren't much good' side, with a bit on the yes bar ends are brilliant side. I'm somewhere in between.

Bob

copemech Posted Apr 16 2008, 11:37 PM

QUOTE (ZIPPY @ Apr 16 2008, 03:34 PM)

no plugs = holes in end of grip

Plugs = hole in end of grip is well plugged.

I use bar ends. Just personal choice to avoid changing grips whenever the end wears through (oh and they came with the bike)

You see! Saves money on grips, Zipper probably has his from when he bought the bike!

Well, over the winter I bought a new throttle assembly and got new grips. I removed the old grips with an air gun and saved them as spares. The old ones were 2 yrs old. Yep I are a cheap *******.

First event I crashum big. Bike did perfect 3 point landing upside down, Bent my new bars :thumbup: and ripped my left grip and I had to pick out stones from under the grip. Might need to put the "old" grips back on, a bit worn but at least no rips.

Do you have chiggers on your jigger? :thumbup:

:D Copey, everyone knows that if you tie kerosene soaked rags around your ankles, it will keep the ants from eating your candy a$$. :banana2:

I thought I was being an as%, but realized it mainly applied to me and my barkbusters!

Edited by paul_thistle

29r Posted Yesterday, 11:48 AM

I like the bar ends. I use yamabond on the grips w/ safety wire .

An old Indian trick...Drop a nickel in the clutch side and a dime on the throttle . 15 cent bar plugs .

And I thought I was cheap!! :thumbup:

Grips installed----- wrap a layer of electrical tape on bar and throttle tube. Slosh small amount of gas inside grip.

Grip slide on easy and never move again. And no pesky wire to worry about poking my sensitive hands.

Grip removal:

Option A: use knife, grip come off quick----umm hard to reuse though.

Option B: Use compressed air--------I have had good success with this and easy to reuse. (back to me being cheap)

Grips installed----- wrap a layer of electrical tape on bar and throttle tube. Slosh small amount of gas inside grip.

Zippy,

I think you mean what is also called "Mechanic's Tape", which is the black cloth (not plastic), double-sided (sticky on both sides) tape which we used to use for tape-type repairs before plastic electrical tape (sticky on one side) was common? We used it on the flat track grips as you really didn't a grip to come off when you're sideways at 100 mph...:thumbup:

Another tape I use now (I gave up on regular plastic electrical tape on bikes) is what's called linerless splicing tape, which is a rubber based electrical tape and is real stretchy and bonds to itself and is waterproof. It doesn't unravel like the plastic stuff does (when wrapped tight on itself it's like it becomes one-piece and you have to cut it off rather than try to unravel it) and I used some yesterday to do a temp fix on a carb manifold so a rider could finish the Trial. It costs more than the common plastic electrical tape but I've found the benefits far outweigh the extra cost.

Jon

JSE Posted Apr 21 2008, 07:48 AM

Zippy,

I think you mean what is also called "Mechanic's Tape", which is the black cloth (not plastic), double-sided (sticky on both sides) tape which we used to use for tape-type repairs before plastic electrical tape (sticky on one side) was common?

Nope, I meant electrical tape----sticky one side, black kinda shiny other side, nice and stretchy.

I are redneck :banana2: