Bar End Plugs

ham2

What do you think?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Those small metal or plastic plugs at the ends of your handle-bars.any use?

• No, never thought about them.
    • No, a good rider doesn't need them.
    • No, tried them but weren't effective/caused other problems
    • Yes, never tested them,just being safety concious
    • Yes, essential kit,I wouldn't be alive today if..blah,blah.

As I get older I think I worry more..I've had a few silly, little get-offs recently.

I think kharma may have something in store for me in the near future. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that a bar plug on this guy's *R2w Find * throttle could have helped..but...what do you think about the subject..any experiences?

Edited by HAM2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a trials bike ?! ............ :thumbup:

Abso freakin lutely. First time I rode my 97 GG 270, I hooked the front brake on a small vine an nearly killed myself.

Coming from an enduro background, I am very used to brushing trees/branches with my handguards. I guess I just

can't re-train myself to not do so with the trials bike.

A set of the Acerbis rallye (all plastic) guards is only about $50. What's a new master cylinder cost now, not to mention

the levers and grips.

Give it a try, you just might like it.

Handle bars are required to be plugged in Australia.

As far as I know, there are no rules requiring them in the U.S.

I never liked them as I found the edge of my palm scraping against the throttle side (fixed) bar end and I had to take them off often to clean the gunge out of the throttle tube. When the sealed ball bearing throttle tube bar ends came out I bought a set and really like them and have them on both bikes. The throttle end is sealed against dirt and the bearing makes the throttle extremely smooth and consistant and the heafty bar end takes a big hit (often with me...) and does not deform. Up to then it was guaranteed that a newly installed set of grips would have cut ends within 5 minutes of the next ride.

Jon

Edited by JSE

Yup they are good but... when u fall off and the handle bars dig into the ground the ground push the grips up the handle bars :thumbup: then the grips slide about on the handle bars :lol:

I make my own which are designed to clamp the end of the grip between the plug and the bars. Makes my grips last much loner and I fall off regularly!!

I use an aluminum "Bark Buster" style of hand guard. After years of off road racing, and training myself to disregard any brush smaller than an inch or so, I felt like I was going to kill myself clipping my levers on small saplings. So I run handguards. Of late I have been heavily testing them. :thumbup:

Edited by paul_thistle

Abso freakin lutely. First time I rode my 97 GG 270, I hooked the front brake on a small vine an nearly killed myself.

Coming from an enduro background, I am very used to brushing trees/branches with my handguards. I guess I just

can't re-train myself to not do so with the trials bike.

A set of the Acerbis rallye (all plastic) guards is only about $50. What's a new master cylinder cost now, not to mention

the levers and grips.

Give it a try, you just might like it.

I rode with brush guards on my enduro bikes for about 18 years (from when Goddard's Barkbusters were first available) so was keen to use them on trials bikes too when I started using trials bikes for setting out enduro courses in the 1990s.

I did try those exact same Acerbis guards on a trials bike (TY250A). For trail riding on a trials bike they are a definite safety and speed benefit by preventing crashes due to things pushing against or catching on the levers while riding along. However for trials work, they made the steering feel too heavy so they came off again.

no plugs = holes in end of grip

Plugs = hole in end of grip is well plugged.

I use bar ends. Just personal choice to avoid changing grips whenever the end wears through (oh and they came with the bike)