Mid Ohio Volunteers

29r

Hi All ,

I've been asked to coordinate this years Trials . :) If you are planning on attending and would be willing to lend a hand , please contact me @ ce23938 at sbcglobal dot net

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be down Friday night and around all day saturday. I really dig that the trials is on sunday this year. I will be riding in it but I will also have the gasgas on hand. Look me up in the MOTA book. My number in there is my cell and i will have it on me. See ya down there!!!!!

If you dont know Mid Ohio race way is the perfect vintage days event (in my humble opinion) From one spot you can see road racing, motocross, glimpse into the woods and see trials and cross country. Stop on by the trials demo and cheer me on as i take on the trials guys from TI. (hope they are there again) Also spend the day walking the huge swap meet. Last year i counted 25 vintage trials bikes for sale from pentons to bsa to ossa to bultaco to ty's to tl's to kt's. What ever it is you need they will have it. Only problem is can you find it....

Sunday dad and i are on the Greeves. Can't miss those.

--Biff

Making ready . Spent the day going over the Trailer , when's the last time you checked/greased the bearings ? Mine were abit overdue . :beer:

Why no Twin shocks ?....OHhh.. , you mean modern Twin Shocks ..... Don't ask . :thumbup:

Ryan Young and his Trials Stars are going to be there . Is that you Biff ?

Work Day , Thursday and yes , I think the Sunday schedule will work out well . Looks to be good weather for the weekend

It really is a great weekend . Looking forward to seeing all that are attending and hoping I'll return with less than I showed up with ....( Wutta concept ) :huh:

GREAT EVENT!!!! oh man that was sooo much fun!

I showed up on saturday and promptly went over to the trials demo where the man Ryan Young wooed the crowd while i fumbled and stumbled on every stunt I tried. John and Gilbert were right on the money and Ryans Pop Mr Jerry pulled out the heavily modified triumph to lend a hand. We had a blast.

The weather was great and in true mid ohio fasion it was hot and muggy but then the breeze started to pick up.

Due to some questionable communication practices in the organization there was a lack of checkers and the cross country that was run on friday ran the same loop as the trials so setting up sections was a bit of a chore. After several plees for checkers went out over the loud speeker we all gathered at 9:30 for the riders meeting wondering if it was a go. Sure enough Scott Beatie got up and started the meeting. Ok this is positive i thought.

Every single section had checkers that were right on the money and we had plenty of volunteers. I would like to thank all of the volunteers who came out to make not only my day but everybody else's day as well. I had a 2 point day and barely nudged out Ginder who is a very very hard competitor to beat. Last year he womped me by a good 20 points. Next year who is to tell? I will be sure to come back.

If any Ahrma reps read this. Plan ahead next year and we will all be able to pitch in.

--Biff

We are trying! I recently wrote an atricle on the merits of "That Twinshock Class" I believe it was submitted today with all the other proposals that were on the agenda.... here's hoping.

On my blog under "That Twinshock Class"

Tony

I just got home from the event this afternoon. I met Biff and a few other folks from the Internet. I should have a few photos of the trial that a friend took that I'll be able to post later in the week.

The sections were fun, but the stream sections did get sloppy later in the day and that made them a bit tougher than some of the West Coast Modern Classic Novice sections.

After about three years of not riding any bike at all (including the loaner 348 Cota) it took me a bit of time to get comfortable but I was pretty satisfied with a 10/16/3, with the last loop being 7 cleans and a 3. I was definitely playing it safe with the dabs.

The weekend is overkill. You need to have a pit bike or be used to hiking 8-10 miles a day. You'd have to be really determined to ensure you see everything.

BTW, the Laverda V6 endurance racer is really cool. Piero Laverda brought that over for the North American Laverda Rally at the event. It's nicely loud too.

cheers,

Michael

Well done Biff! Congatulations.

But since it has been 2 years since I rode in a trials that used checkers (they have all been "peer" scoring), does AHRMA just count your best loop score or was this a case of (as I was told by an AHRMA rider some years ago) "If the checker dosen't see it...don't tell them!" (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw at least 3 points from the gallery). Myself, I am burdened with a truely sick sense of honesty...I will just as quickly argue a clean as a five...

Be that as it may, 2 is what got scored, and 2 is what went down in the record books...well played!

Murray

Another well done for Biff!

"Every single section had checkers that were right on the money and we had plenty of volunteers. I would like to thank all of the volunteers who came out to make not only my day but everybody else's day as well. I had a 2 point day and barely nudged out Ginder who is a very very hard competitor to beat. Last year he womped me by a good 20 points. Next year who is to tell? "

So tell me Biff, which two points are you talking about? the two points you dropped in the 3rd section on the 1st loop, when you were floundering around on the Greeves, or the two points you dropped in the rock pile section.

We all know the final score is what the checkers punch on your card. But I don't know that I would want to brag about beating a fat gray haired old man. (No offense Bob)............Besides several of us know that,....... but for inexperienced checkers,........ that fat, gray haired old man actually beat you......... Again

:hyper:

Well... So there I was ...

Mid-Ohio ! If you've never been there , all I can say is ...WOW ! What an experience !

Vintage Moto-X ,Road racing ( what a beautiful course ! I have to try that sometime ...soon ! ) Dirt Tracking ( just a short drive ) , new this year , Cross Country Event . "A Swap Meet to die for ". ( it's got to be there somewhere ! ) Concourse show , Manufactures , Clinics , so many other attractions within one property ...

Did I mention Ryan Young and His Trials Allstars ?

I had agreed to being the " TRIALS MASTER " :blink:

So , anyways . I won't bother with the fanfare preceding / during the event , Let's go on the #1 Line ....

But wait ! At the Riders Meeting , a long time Pioneer of Trials in the U.S. was recognised at the Meeting ... Mr. Jerry Young . ( 68 years young ) for his contributions to Trials in the U.S of A !

#1 drop off into a knarly tree root ,up and over into the bed , up another onto the bank , drop down , right hander up and back down , hard right over a log to a left 180 thru rocks and a quick rt. up and thru the gate .

#2 Downhill into the creek, 180 right backup the bank , across the ridge , left down and out of the gully ,up across the top , drop down into the creekbed . zig zag and up thru rocks between trees and out .

#3 enter and 180 across tree roots right , full lock left , up and over log , lock right over tree , lock left over same , across the hillside to another fallen tree , over right , over left , then right ,over and up and out .

#4 enter , over a log , hard right , over a suspended log , hard 180 left over same and couple others I can't remember .

#5 In and down into creekbed , up the bank , 180 left back down , 180 right back up between trees , left , drop back down thru rocks , right thru rocks, up the bank and out .

Nice trail out to the back 40

#6 enter drop right , bottom 180 left up and over log , across right 90 right over tree , HRAD right down around tree , 180 at bottom straight up the hill ,180 around the top to the bottom ( with a ziggy on down ) around and a 180 right up and around tree and out.

#7 down the creekbed left . up the bank cross angle , around tree , drop down into bed , up the other side over knarly roots , left , drop down back into bed , left , hard 180 right over limb , 180 left over same and out .

I'm not sure , but I think it was a good mile back .

#8 Ahh the Rocks . Seems one of the perennials of Mid-Ohio !

One thing that sticks in your mind is the crowd . If you've never had a gallery watching , cheering , moaning ( maybe groaning is best ) whilst you're riding a section , then riding Mid-O is an experience . There are spectators !

At the Awards , our own Ryan Young presented the 1st place trophy to the winner of the Modern Classic Expert which is the #1 ( hard line ) to a man that bested the best at this event ...Jerry Young , riding his Cub ! Jerry , YOU DA'MAN !! ( I wanna talk to you about that Cub too )

I have to thank all that pitched in to help with pulling this event off . 1st to Royce Klein who was intsrumental in the layout , his brothers Doug and Bill and wife Maria , Don May , Bob Ellis, Kirk Tolly, Bob Steinmetz, Chris Neinhuis , Eric Mc Winney , my amigo Randy Spray and others . ( I apologize )

I want to give special thanks to a lady named Irene . It was she that stayed up in her Motel late into the evening ( with her Husband , maybe you're familiar with , Mr Jeff Smith ) to post all the pre-entries and along with Pat Campbell ( and husband Craig ) to take care of the sign-ups and scoring for the day . Priceless . :banana2:

So until next year .

Anyone want to be Trials Master ?!

Edited by 29r

We all know the final score is what the checkers punch on your card. But I don't know that I would want to brag about beating a fat gray haired old man. (No offense Bob)............Besides several of us know that,....... but for inexperienced checkers,........ that fat, gray haired old man actually beat you......... Again

He acutally punched me one for that section when it should have been a two. Since you guys feel gyped and I mean no harm in my riding I will be sending my trophy off to Ginder. I only ride 1 Ahrma event a year so I dont really need the points as much as other people do. I will contact Ahrma to get any season points transfered too. Next year i will run the 1 line as to not cause any grief and concentrate on the fun. I also feel that i am approachable so come talk to me if you feel robbed of a trophy or feel that I have cheated. This is not my first event and i ask for one thing of any checker. Consistantecy. If you are leanient for me then be leanient for all. If you are tough on me then be tough on all.

Regardless of the drama. Great trials!

--Biff

He acutally punched me one for that section when it should have been a two. Since you guys feel gyped and I mean no harm in my riding I will be sending my trophy off to Ginder. I only ride 1 Ahrma event a year so I dont really need the points as much as other people do. I will contact Ahrma to get any season points transfered too. Next year i will run the 1 line as to not cause any grief and concentrate on the fun. I also feel that i am approachable so come talk to me if you feel robbed of a trophy or feel that I have cheated. This is not my first event and i ask for one thing of any checker. Consistantecy. If you are leanient for me then be leanient for all. If you are tough on me then be tough on all.

Regardless of the drama. Great trials!

--Biff

Biff,

I think you missed the point of my comment...... I have no idea if Bob Ginder or anyone else for that matter, feels gyped by your scores at Mid Ohio, in fact I don't even know if Bob has ever looked at this forum, ........that's something you would need to take up with him, although knowing Bob, I doubt he has given it a thought one way or another.

The botton line is a riders score is what the checkers punch, and you won.

My point, which seemes to have eluded you, was;....... When you win an event with the knowledge that the offical's mistakes changed the out come of the event, you shouldn't go on a world wide forum like Trials Central and brag about how; a) the checkers did such a good job, and :D how you beat another rider, regardless of who it might have been.......

As for your being approachable, I have no doubt you are........... but it has nothing to do with my comment.........

HONESTY IS ALWAYS THE BEST POLICY! Or- uh- whatever!

However there is the fact that the judges decisions are final and are really not to be swayed by outside influence by others than the rider! If you are known for your honesty it never hurts!

And if he does not see or judge a dab, he cannot call it on presumption! Trials is Trials! And it is not perfect!

We did run into this at the WTC, with many judges in the section it still became an issue! As the rider balked the decision, all we as bystanders could say was,"Good Call Judge" move on! I think they actually had to show him the card to get him to shut up! Oh well! It was a good call!

In a single observer situation, I will give benefit of doubt to any rider, does not mean EASY! Just trying to be fair! :D