Broadband Frustration

perce

A couple of weeks ago my phone line went off, after it was fixed it took me a couple of days to work out that the brains had been blown out of my router as it still partially worked. Anyway I've got a new router & after intially things been fine I've noticed that I'm unable to access some sites on the web, the browser sits & looks for the site & eventually times out. The problem occurs at all pc's on my hard wired network. (thick walls, old house) I've tried removing all phones etc & only having the router connected up & nothing changes. Can the blow out have shagged the wiring in my house? Is the router a duffer? Any suggestions? or is it time to start nagging my BB provider? I'm not looking forward to calling India one little bit.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unlikely your hard wiring is affected.

The easiest way to check an internet connection is using the ping function in windows.

Try this ...

Click START > Run > then in the box type CMD

A DOS box should come up like below .

Type ping bbc.co.uk in the command line ( as below ) and it should return the info similar to below if everything is ok.

You can try other internet names after the word ping instead of bbc.co.uk to see if you have a connection.

Is it timing out? If it is not, it may be an issue with your browser/firewall/router settings

You could aslo do a traceroute check. Go to this site http://network-tools.com/ then type in the address you are trying to connect to.

Then hit the SUBMIT button.

Scroll down and see if it is timing out on the hops.

If you still having problems, let me know what the type and make/model of the router is and your BB provider and I will look and see if there are any reported issues.

post-1163-1215115492.jpg

it's ok when I ping sites, so it's not that.

Some sites will time out but others it just keeps on looking, I know that all sites that I can't get to are working OK.

I've turned my pc's firewall off to no effect, as I've said all the pc's on my network have the same problem, so I'm guessing it's the router. Think I may try a factory reset next, pain in the a*** putting all my details in again though.

I bloody hate computers, I've also just spent 48 hours out as my power supply gave out on my PC.

Router is a ZyXEL P660HW-T1

Provider is Orange

Edited by PERCE

I'm with Virgin Media and on a cable modem along with their TV package and phone.

Woke up Tuesday morning and all were dead, TV and phone back on after an hour but it's taken the useless ****wits until this afternoon to fix the problem.

27 phone calls were made, 10 minutes to get past the automated messaging service every single time and some calls were over 45 minutes long. New subscribers to Virgin get free calls but existing customers have to pay for the priviledge of speaking to lying *******s who need to get their stories straight before spewing their bull**** to folk like me who have had enough.

Spoke to **** knows how many people and got very p****d off with the majority of them. A new modem arrived today but that doesn't work, the old one works despite being told that it wouldn't!

Now where's that 14.4k dial-up modem?

Interesting problem and not something I have come across before. I am currently researching this. To be able to access the front page of a site, but not an internal link is weird. This could be that the opening page is stored in your cache.

Are you using firefox or i.e.7 ?

One other question, when you set up the router, did you use the wizard and if so, did it all go ok or did you have to add some information manually? If so, what was it?

I can't remember what I had for dinner never mind owt like that. I'm going for the reset tomorrow night after work, someone will use the big stick on me if I don't issue some info tomorrow & I can't screw up the connection I've got. What's cable anyway? We don't get stuff like that int sticks.

If you reset your router, keep a note of any manual entries you may need to make this time you senile ol' git :hyper:

I found some info that suggests the problem you are experiencing can be fixed by flushing the DNS. To do it, follow the instructions below :-

1. Start | Run | (type in) cmd | OK

Carefully type the following in the Command box:

ipconfig /release [ENTER]

ipconfig /flushdns [ENTER]

ipconfig /renew [ENTER]

Type EXIT to close & turn off the computer(s).

2. Disconnect the computer(s) from the router

Turn off the router/modem

Turn on the router/modem

When all modem lights are lit, reconnect and restart the computer(s)

Hope all goes well :D

try that one later but I did a reset & ran diagnostics in the set up, results as follows:-

Connection Setup- ISP Parameters for Internet Access

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAN connections

Test your Ethernet Connection PASS

WAN connections

Test ADSL synchronization PASS

Test ADSL(ATM OAM) loopback test FAIL

Test PPP/PPPoE server connection PASS

Ping default gateway FAIL

If you get the loopback failure message consistently (and even after doing a "hard" reset using the micro-button on the rear of the router) it means that your connection is OK as far as your local exchange but is fubar'd thereafter. Combined with the failure of the default gateway ping it's a pretty strong indication that there's something wrong with the line, not your router (or PC).

I had thiry same problem up here in fort william

Provider=Bt

the normal home hub.

front pages were loading, but never internal links like login pages and so on.

turned router off at wall, disconnected adsl filter left for 2 mins, plugged all back together worked fine, all pages loading quickly!

I think its something to do with the sudden start of when power and phone comes back at same time, just confuses it! :D^_^:hl:

I'm with Virgin Media and on a cable modem along with their TV package and phone.

Woke up Tuesday morning and all were dead, TV and phone back on after an hour but it's taken the useless ****wits until this afternoon to fix the problem.

27 phone calls were made, 10 minutes to get past the automated messaging service every single time and some calls were over 45 minutes long. New subscribers to Virgin get free calls but existing customers have to pay for the priviledge of speaking to lying *******s who need to get their stories straight before spewing their bull**** to folk like me who have had enough.

Spoke to **** knows how many people and got very p****d off with the majority of them. A new modem arrived today but that doesn't work, the old one works despite being told that it wouldn't!

Now where's that 14.4k dial-up modem?

Snap we have the same set up with Virgin. Do you have PC Guard installed? ......after downloading it from the virgin website it wouldn't install. I phoned Virgin and went through the endless "press 1 for broadband; press 2 of TV etc..." to finally end up speaking to someone with a strong Indian accent. He said because i'm using my set top box (with the modem built in) PC Guard would not work and they would send me a free modem start pack with router and leads. I installed the new modem and cable as per the instructions and removed the old cable from my set top box to the back of my router. When i questioned how the modem in my downstairs lounge connects to my computer upstairs they said it will work and to not use the cable.....and guess what it didn't!!.....so i re-used the old ethernet cable between my new modom and my existing router and it now works. The connection speed has increased from 2 meg to 4meg with the new modem, the only problem now is the modem keeps loosing connection, which the old set top box connection never did.....and i've got an old dial-up modem working on both my computers which never lets me down.... so fustrating

Edited by spud