Youth Nationals

Well I'm still here at the TTC. Sorry Cope didn't get your message till I logged on just now. Guess it wouldn't be a fair wager.

Another great event!! All the kids are really progressing. In the top 15 & under class it was a three way battle between Eric Storz, Karl Davis Jr. & David Mizell with each one of them winning one of the days. In the end Karl won the championship. As a side note the top three riders where all on 125's. In the 13 & under class Chase Harker easily won his 6th title in a row. Zeke (I think that's how you spell his name) Mizell won the 11& under class with two wins. The other win coming from Aaron Thistle on day one. I saw Aaron have several great rides! Steve Fracy's son Matt was also up there and had some close scores with the winners. My son Ty won the 9 &under class all three days. I will say he rode pretty good cleaning 5 out of the 9 loops for the event. Joey Jackson won the 7 & under class with two wins and the littlest riding Mizell (sorry can't remember his name) won the first day.

We had great weather with almost no rain and not too hot at all. It was good to see all my friends again and finally meet others in person. We're going to be here for the next week since I'm hauling some of the bikes home for the boys staying for the teenage camp. We plan on doing some sight seeing and just hanging out. Ty is also going to go out and ride all the "2" lines that he hasn't already to get ready for when he makes the move up, the practice starts now for next year.

Edited by sirhc

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son Ty won the 9 &under class all three days. I will say he rode pretty good cleaning 5 out of the 9 loops for the event....

... Ty is also going to go out and ride all the "2" lines that he hasn't already to get ready for when he makes the move up, the practice starts now for next year.

As someone who looks forward to the next youth hot-shoe, I see promising things from Ty. I foresee you and your son are going to enjoy those rare special moments in the future Noel and I are enjoying right now. Great job, Ty, great job to all the competitors.

Dan Brown's report here.

Turnout for the 0 line was good 10 riders from several states if i remember right finishing order was

Florida

Texas

California

California

New Mexico

Washington

Missouri

Texas

Massachusetts

Minnesota

7 of the 10 graduate this year

I had a girl in the 3 line and one in the 4 line.

The 3 line and the 4 line was almost the same the last 2 days i have no idea why looks like would toughen up 3 to challange our up and coming young riders

Florida Flatlander on TOP!!!! Way to go Karl!! :hl:

That young man is a heck of a rider. Nice kid too. It wouldnt surprise me to see him move up the ranks and succeed quite well.

How tough are the sections for the youngest riders. Say in the 5 y/o group?

How tough are the sections for the youngest riders. Say in the 5 y/o group?

That age would ride the 4 line. Many kids were riding that class on Xispas and one OSET. Its not too bad, but the smaller wheels can prove to be a challenge on the rubbly rocks.

Edited by tryalsryder

Dan Brown's report here.

Hey, the small two on the left of the podium are my youngest kids, Cole age 4 and Emily age 7. Neither has ridden much are still sit down riders. They had been saying they wanted to ride so I finally let them the final day, I had wanted to wait till they could at least stand up but I let them go the last day anyways. They had fun and that's all that really matters.

Thanks for the kind words Craig, but he has a long way to go and there's many great riders coming a long before him.

copemech Posted Today, 07:54 PM

No prob Chris, but I tried to catch you, know you were busy. Which bike is Ty on, the Beta 80?125?

He's on a Sherco 125, it's listed wrong in the story.

Edited by sirhc

Hey, the small two on the left of the podium are my youngest kids, Cole age 4 and Emily age 7. Neither has ridden much are still sit down riders. They had been saying they wanted to ride so I finally let them the final day, I had wanted to wait till they could at least stand up but I let them go the last day anyways. They had fun and that's all that really matters.
Thats very helpful. My 4 yo is a sit/sometime stands rider. Though pretty capable. He rides an OSET and I truly believe that bike has given him a great start in trials.

I wnat to head down for the youth camp next year and I figured if possible put him in the sections at the nationals if he wants.

How did Tryalsrider fare? I been looking for results, but the only thing I seen so far was sent out by Keenan, stating that Ariel won the womens expert? ^_^

First off, they changed the names of the classes from last year. They called Women's 1 Line Women's expert. Why, I'm not sure, but that's what it was called this year. As far as Ariel, yes, she has come a long way from last year, she has phenomenal balance and it just so happened that last weekend, the cards fell to her benefit. The first day I wasn't riding very well, lots of dumb 5's and she won, fair and square. 2nd day, not such a clear win. We miscalculated my time and I came in 24 min. late :hl: I had beaten her by 5, but with the 12 penalty points the win went to her. The 3rd day, I beat her again by 5, with no penalty points. This year, they did away with the section time limits and kept the same 4.5 hr time limit on the day. Many times, I found myself sitting in very long lines, which ate up the majority of my time. At one point, you couldn't get out of the exit for one section without being in line for the next. I liked the fact that they did away with the 90 sec. time limit in the section, but something needs to change for next year so that time isn't so much an issue. 6 other people had a time penalty on Day 2. If it wasn't so hot, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's not easy to ride at that level with no break between loops when its 90 some degrees with 70% humidity. The 3rd day I had 9 minutes to spare. I only stopped for 1 minute between loops 1 and 2, and 2 and 3. The first for Gatorade and the 2nd for Gas. I didn't stop after that. I guess I'll have to work out some sort of better system for Duluth...

First off, they changed the names of the classes from last year. They called Women's 1 Line Women's expert. Why, I'm not sure, but that's what it was called this year. As far as Ariel, yes, she has come a long way from last year, she has phenomenal balance and it just so happened that last weekend, the cards fell to her benefit. The first day I wasn't riding very well, lots of dumb 5's and she won, fair and square. 2nd day, not such a clear win. We miscalculated my time and I came in 24 min. late :hl: I had beaten her by 5, but with the 12 penalty points the win went to her. The 3rd day, I beat her again by 5, with no penalty points. This year, they did away with the section time limits and kept the same 4.5 hr time limit on the day. Many times, I found myself sitting in very long lines, which ate up the majority of my time. At one point, you couldn't get out of the exit for one section without being in line for the next. I liked the fact that they did away with the 90 sec. time limit in the section, but something needs to change for next year so that time isn't so much an issue. 6 other people had a time penalty on Day 2. If it wasn't so hot, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's not easy to ride at that level with no break between loops when its 90 some degrees with 70% humidity. The 3rd day I had 9 minutes to spare. I only stopped for 1 minute between loops 1 and 2, and 2 and 3. The first for Gatorade and the 2nd for Gas. I didn't stop after that. I guess I'll have to work out some sort of better system for Duluth...

Wow, that just goes to show how tough these girls are!

Ariel is a good young rider and I have ridden with her many times. No fear! Me-Know fear! ^_^

And me, no Camelback in the heat? Not good! I like LOTS of water, if you need a break, it needs to be a pee, if you are lucky!

Hi Guys:

Just back tonight in Canada after a couple long travel days! Wow, what a whirlwind trip! I have to thank so many people who made our trip spectacular. First off, my great old buddy Barry Langford and his wife Renee, from Huntsville AL. Without their generosity and help along the way, this trip would have never happened for us!!! We got to stay in Barrys trailer on site, and use one of his vehicles to commute back and forth to Huntsville for the Youth camp. He also graciously let me ride his bike all week to follow Matt around. To Charlie and Catherine at the TTC and Alex, for their hospitality, friendliness, and encouragement throughout the week, thank you!

It was cool to finally put some faces to names from on here.... Chris, Brian R, Spinner, Hensley, Paul Thistle, thanks too. For me personally this was a trip of a lifetime. It had been exactly 20yrs since I lived and rode trials in the state of TN. Most of you who were there did not know that there was some great reunions that took place too. Some STRA members who have not been around at all since I last lived there, showed up to say hey, and share some great memories and meet my family. For this I will never forget how great that felt! Chuck West(former Fantic importer and my sponsor), Mike West, Steve McNeal, Tom McNeal, Nelson Crouch(former STRA president and trialsmaster of a World round held in TN in 89), Parker Lowndes. Also great to see some longtime friends and co- competitors from the past. Ryan Young, Kip Webb, Ron Commo Jr, also Booby Duvall from Tx. Overall an overwhelming time of incredible highs and memories for sure!

About the actual trial. It was a total learning experience for both Matt and I. We have been working together for years now, not knowing how we stacked up against kids his own age from other areas. He had never ridden a National of any type, or so far away from home in foreign territory. Overall it was a great experience. Perhaps a tad easy from what we are used to, but, intead, a lot harder mentally to keep it together for 3 days. It was a great learning experience for sure. Matt rode his heart out. Other than some terrible nerves the first day when he finished 3rd, He was so close to winning both the last two days, and showed me how much heart he has. Never giving up after having some unlucky breaks that cost him the win both days! This was serious stuff in the 11yr old and under champ class between kids who wanted it real bad! It was awesome! A special note to both Paul Thistle and his son Aaron who were great to be around. Matt really enjoyed being around Aaron and I got a big chuckle out of his great sense of humour.

Some observations about riders there! All of the riders in the top class are terrific riders and any one of them could be a champ in the Nationals in the future. All nice kids, who competed hard and are great riders. The one kid who impressed me the most the whole weekend though is Chase Harker! I beleive that he is going to be at the top very soon! He is just so smooth, and rides totally different than anyone else there. What a terrific competitor and very gifted rider!!! Both Matt and I were in awe of anytime we saw him ride!

What was gonna be a one time deal for us down there, has us already making plans for next year! It will be much easier the second time, knowing the lay of the land, and knowing how to plan our time better. Matt has also impressed me with how hard he wants to work now to redeem himself and his expectations from this year. I am so proud of how he rode with all things considered, and now we have the rest of the year for our PNTA regionals to look forward too.

Cheers, Steve

Its amazing to watch kids improve during the week there. Having other kids to ride with fantatic terrain several sections laid out to ride.

We are at a big disadvantage compared to the world because our better youth have to drive 200 miles maybe further to be taught, pushed by an equal or better rider. and with gas prices up it is getting worse.

Natural talent is great but their is no subsitute for time on the bike. Homer went thru 2 gallons of gas a day for 7 days during the first week and is at youth camp right now i imagine using 2 more per day for 5 more days thats 24 gallons in less than 2 weeks. I dont know if he used that much in the rest of last year and it shows.

6 months ago Ariel Winters rode the same line as me with double my score,. I could not of came close to her now. What an improvement. How did this come about. I asked her if she had been practicing her one word answer was Everyday.

Chase Harker was mentioned he is surrounded by good rider mentors and it shows . The Mizzels have their own competition theirselves. Very impressive to watch David calmly address some problems he had with is bike and still win the last day.

Steve,

It was really great to meet you and Matt. Watching Matt in the camp, he rode so well. I knew he would win or be at the top. He turns so smooth, and keeps the motor sooo steady. In the compettion he seemed to keep his head about him. I wanted Aaron to know who to watch and to have a goal to aim for. Watching Matt and Zeke certainly gave him plenty to think about! My wife videoed Aaron in a lot of the sections. So we have watched that and talked about what he needs to practice on. He is getting big enough that he is starting to use normal techniques.

It was a great week, great weather, quiet in the evenings (no bottlerockets!) and just the right amount of riding.

The "Dan Brown Adventure ride" was fun. We went a long ways back in the cave. Zeke and Homer were like a pair of spider monkeys scurrying over every inch of the cave. Standing on the edge of steeply camberd slick banks, looking into black space below.

Thanks

To all for making it happen.

Paul