Switch Back

amiller

I think Ray may have done a demo on the 80 at some point, I know he did one on the Sherco 125 at El Trial or something years ago.

I also recall him after a trial here, taking the "then new" 125 4T Scorpa round all our local master lines here in Texas, and finding cleans! Poor little bike got a thrashing though, it was up to it!

You see, when you put things on a WORLD level, it is a different tale. It IS all relative to us normal folk, just a class or two over our heads. But just as an example, I seem to recall both Alexz Wigg and Smage doing world class sections in Jounior and TDN respectively on the 125's! It absouletely becomes hard to imaging just how difficult this stuff really is! Where they would be begging for a 250! 4T or not! I think it a big relief for those kids to be able to get off the little bikes! Yet the skills they learned while having to make due, are invaluable!

What does any of this have to do with anything? I think the 4T's are fun and great to ride! They can be more powerful if needed, yet seldomely, and god help you at overhaul time, as you will shed some Squid things when that time comes, not to mention the maintenance inbetween. For those that flip bikes every year it is not an issue. Though I do understand that many in the MX and Enduro are getting away from them due to high costs of maintenance. Actually I just helped a buddy with a head job on a CRF 250 Honda, got lucky, just needed valves and a cam! OUCH! I could keep an average 2T trials running for just about 5 years on that repair cost! And I am not as cheap as some! Like Zipper!

Copie you are cheap ! time to unclinch the cheeks. Yes Ray did ride one national on a Beta 80. He ended up 4th in the expert class that day, he wasn't ust to the 80 and flipped the rear end over the tape in a couple of sections.

The 4-stroke does carry a $$ penalty if you don't take care off them and a rebuild will cost more, no way around it there is simply more parts.

Cope if you come to the Duluth nats i'll let you have a go on my 4-stroke.

Copie you are cheap ! time to unclinch the cheeks. Yes Ray did ride one national on a Beta 80. He ended up 4th in the expert class that day, he wasn't ust to the 80 and flipped the rear end over the tape in a couple of sections.

The 4-stroke does carry a $$ penalty if you don't take care off them and a rebuild will cost more, no way around it there is simply more parts.

Cope if you come to the Duluth nats i'll let you have a go on my 4-stroke.

I'm too cheap to drive to Owasso and you think I'm going to Duluth? You gotta be kidding! Might be a bit cooler than the 100f+ every day here though!

Remember that thing called a daughter that I had to buy the new laptop for? The one that I am still paying for the recent heart surgury! The one that is costing me an incredable amount in tuition! Well I have to move IT down to Florida in a couple of weeks to cram IT in a dorm room that also costs a lot of money! Go figure, two strokes are all I can afford! :banana2:

I guess I am just a 4T kind of guy. I rode a Honda RTL250 for 7 years then switched to a TYZ250 then a Scorpa SY250. As soon as I got on my current 4RT I felt like I had come back home. I rode an 07 GG250 in a trial recently. I can see why people like them. They are light, powerful and want to leap up things. But I was glad to get back on my 4RT. It has all the power I need, feels more stable, hooks up wonderfully in iffy traction situations and has a very plush suspension. It reacts slower than some other bikes and maybe it is just that my reactions are slowing to match. I won't be switching back any time soon.

I've just spent 2 1/2 years on 4rt's & have gone back to a 250 Gas Gas. I've found the Mont much less forgiving to ride & become tired of it 'pushing' me up sections quicker than I want to go. When I got the line, power etc spot on it was awesome up sections but make the slightest mistake or lean forward & 5 was on the cards, as once stuck it's one big lump to push. Mechanically I've found the Mont to be fairly hardy but when you add in the cost of a bash plate, footrests & hangers, back brake pedal, throttle body & a fat exhaust, all of which I would consider neccessary, it all adds up to a pricey bike. I've had a lot of fun on the Mont, across moors & tracks it's a mad thing to ride but I'm convinced it's not the bike for me in the sections. Now if I enter & I'm lucky enough to get another spin round the SSDT I may rue the day I went back to the more fragile 2 stroke Gasser but I'm certain I'll enjoy riding the sections more on it.

Every time i ride a 4T i crack that throttle durring the exhaust up stroke.... my body says go but the bike says huh? This is the only instance in my life where my brain can speed past what the bike can do. Usually the bike leaves with out me.... hahaha I guess I could get used to that but i am cheap and don't feel a need for change. If it happens I will wait for the gasser 4T. I did find the beta 4t to be a great bike however. Enjoy the new Steed Aaron! One for you and one for the Bro?

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas

I've gone through a few bikes in the last year-260cc 4rt, Sherco 3.2 4t, 04 Sherco 2.9, 08 Scorpa 250 2t & now 08 Sherco 2.9. Through all those bikes, both 4t & 2t the one thing that has stayed constant is my results. I can truly say the bike makes no diffrance. My favorite to ride though is the 3.2 4t because of the awesome torque and my second favorite is the Scorpa 2t because of the incredibly smooth motor and awesome turning. I will say I find it easier to go from a 2t to a 4t than a 4t to a 2t. When I ride a 2t again it feels like it's running away when I let off the throttle. I think what i really want to try next is a 125 Sherco with the 200 kit, that sounds like fun :D

I've gone through a few bikes in the last year-260cc 4rt, Sherco 3.2 4t, 04 Sherco 2.9, 08 Scorpa 250 2t & now 08 Sherco 2.9. Through all those bikes, both 4t & 2t the one thing that has stayed constant is my results. I can truly say the bike makes no diffrance. My favorite to ride though is the 3.2 4t because of the awesome torque and my second favorite is the Scorpa 2t because of the incredibly smooth motor and awesome turning. I will say I find it easier to go from a 2t to a 4t than a 4t to a 2t. When I ride a 2t again it feels like it's running away when I let off the throttle. I think what i really want to try next is a 125 Sherco with the 200 kit, that sounds like fun :thumbup:

You may want to try the Gasgas 125 Pro Racing with the 225cc kit; it is amazing.

Spencer

Thanks Goat a 225 sounds like fun, but can't/won't ride a Gas Gas.

Cope, a 2.5 is a great bike. I actually like them better than a 2.9

Back on topic- I have one "friend" that had a 4rt and could never get used to it and never felt comfortable no matter how hard he tried, in fact he went back to riding his old beat 315r because he felt more at home on it. He now has a Scopa SY 250 that he has liked from the get go.

On the other hand another friend has a 4rt that he liked, but got a new Scopra SY 250 because it was time for a new bike. It's now taking him a while to adjust to it. I think he will eventually due well on it, it will just take some time.