Rear Tire

dschigoda

I am a long time Michelin tire user, but I am considering switching to Dunlop for a new rear trials tire (to save $). I ride in the Advanced Class in Wisconsin/Illinois, over wet logs, dry logs, rocks (round, angular, wet, dry, mossy, slipery, grippy), mud, dirt, sand, dust, clay, rocky creekbeds, grass, etc. Would riding on a Dunlop feel much different? Would the tread last longer than a Michelin?

thanks,

Dave

I've been using Dunlop's for a while now. The main difference for me is the side wall is stiffer on the Dunlop. Because of this I drop the air pressure by 1 pound. With that I can't feel the difference between the two. They seem to last about the same for me. They must be pretty descent tires too since they won the national championship for the last several years.

I have used both the dunlop and michelin for rear tires

For me the dunlop felt better on the first day while the michelin need some break in time

the dunlop didnt last as long as the michelin for me, i would estimate that the michelin lasts about 2x as long for me

personally i like the feel of the michelin better the dunlop always felt less stable to me

In southern california all we ride is dry rocks and sand, cant really remember the last time it rained during an event so i cant comment on which tire works better in the wet

i am sticking with michelin's from now on but hey this is just my opinion

I ride Expert in michigan with pretty much the same terrain as you.

The side wall is a bit weaker but it works great in the muddy off cambers.

They last about 1 year with a flip towards the end of the year. I beat up on my tires. (IE ride to work)

I highly recommend them.

People like the irc but i felt that they just spun and spun in the mud.

--Biff

I ride Expert in michigan with pretty much the same terrain as you.

The side wall is a bit weaker but it works great in the muddy off cambers.

They last about 1 year with a flip towards the end of the year. I beat up on my tires. (IE ride to work)

I highly recommend them.

People like the irc but i felt that they just spun and spun in the mud.

--Biff

So biff... which tire?

Thanks for all the replys. Now that I think about it, what is most important to me is grip in mud, wet clay, and wet logs. Secondary importance is wear, availability, and price. I see from Ryan Young's website that he's selling Dunlop rear tires for $99. Hmmmm.

The local trials guru says Michelins are softer....sounds like better traction to me. And he says they last longer...which eliminates the cost difference.

A local age-group national champion who's been riding for years and years buys the Dunlops to save money. He runs 3-3.5 lbs. in the rear, due to the stiffer sidewall.

I'm picking the Michelin, myself. If you're super-serious about trials you'll likely fork-out the extra bucks for the best. Most VERY serious local experts pick the Michelin.

Did you hear that Biff? I guess our US Pro's are not serious enough, and you are an expert tightwad! Well that makes two of us!!!

Is Zippy still running the Ching Shin's?

I would love to see one of these "experts" ride against someone like Ryan or Geoff on worn out totally trashed Dunlops !!!!! :iamwithstupid:

copemech Posted Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Is Zippy still running the Ching Shin's?

Zippy has never run Cheng Shin's on his Sherco.

I like the Dunlops. I am like an Uber tightwad. I run a Dunlop Rear for 2 years. 1st year one way then flip it and run a 2nd year. My front tire is a Michelin that I bought about 5 yrs ago. (Hey Biff, Remember that Fantic Section I had, that is when that front tire was new.)

This winter I plan on purchasing a brand new Front and Rear set of Dunlop's.

There is much mentioning of dropping air pressure 1 pound for different tires to compensate for side wall stiffness, but hell I am closer to 250 pounds than I would like to be and at that weight 4, 5 or 6 psi all feel the same.

I generally run 4 or 5 psi in the rear tire and 6 or 7 psi in the front. Depends if wet and muddy or dry and grippy.

Funtrials Posted Yesterday, 09:48 PM

I'm picking the Michelin, myself. If you're super-serious about trials you'll likely fork-out the extra bucks for the best. Most VERY serious local experts pick the Michelin.

That just sounds like a classic "It is expensive therefore it must be the best" type of statement.

Funtrials Posted Yesterday, 09:48 PM

The local trials guru says Michelins are softer....sounds like better traction to me. And he says they last longer...which eliminates the cost difference.

That just seems to be the total opposite in my mind.......yes softer better traction, but if softer they would not last longer than a "harder" tire. Just look at the difference between sport tires and touring tires for road bikes. Sport tires softer and grip like glue but don't last very long. Touring tires are harder and wear like iron but don't grip as well.

That's just the way the logic works in my head

Edited by ZIPPY

Zippy,

Good logic with the soft and "hard" tires, but the harder tires (Dunlop, IRC) seem to chunk off, especially riding on grippy rocks or in the cold. Where as the Michelin's seem to wear evenly in all conditions giving longer life. If I have to buy a tire I buy Dunlop because of the price and they are still a very, very good tire.

AAAAHAHHHHH

Jim that makes sense about the "chunks" flying off.

I am pleased with the performance of the Dunlops and the price is better.

Speaking of price and me being an Uber Tightwad.........has anybody (with any rear tire) taken a razor blade and "squared off" the knobs on their tire???

If ya have, did it do any good?

Did the tire have better grip for longer?

Did the knobs rip away from the tire and fall off?