Kt Engine?

redrocket

Visit My Website

I have had an engine,that looks the same as the one in the picture in my garage for many years.The other day I decided to give it a clean and see exactly what it is from.The only markings on the engine are G-B on the top of the left hand crankcase.I was just wondering if it is anything more exciting than a standard KT engine.

Edited by REDROCKET

KX clutch cover on the red bike yes, but any idea which KX as I have been looking for one of those and cannot find one anywhere. Can't even find a picture of a KX with that type of cover. The KX250 all years (1970s) have the clutch actuating lever to the front. the KX400 has it on top but different cover, as is the KX450. Only ones I don't know about are KX125.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks for all reponcesI have searched the internet for pictures with no joy other than the picture of the red bike!secondly as woody has said I have not found another bike ie KX with the same clutch arm location.A lot of early KX125s were disc valve so would have a different cover.I have some pictures but am struggling to upload them to this site.

Edited by REDROCKET

Hi Woody,

When I arrived in NZ in 1978 (as a very young lad of course) I rode a KT250 for a year belonging to Brian Barnesly (A Brummie - got 2nd best newcommer in the SSDT just behind Mart Lampkin) who worked for one of the Kawasaki shops here. Unfortunately, Brian was killed in an accident in the US and is no longer around to ask, but........he did fit the same motocross cover as per the red KT photo, I wrote about it in T&MX News back then. He did say that it was from a motocross bike but was not model specific. Don't know how to find out either, only that it would have been from a current year bike, 1978.

Bye, PeterB.

Rocket - I'll have a look at my engine case tomorrow when I get home from work to see where the number is stamped.

I've found the red KT on google search now - it's the one that belongs to Hop Blip and Jump on here, should have remembered. Doubt he'll know what the case is off though as it was most likely fitted when he got the bike. It's got to have come off some production model pre-79 but I've seen pics of nearly all year KX models and none have it fitted. Mystery.

Woody the late 1970s KX125 case in the photo I posted has the arm at the top of the clutch bulge like the red KT photo and the 250cc KT prototype shown in the Don Smith book. Every KX250 I have seen has the arm at the front of the bulge. How can you say the KX125 cover is the same as the KX250?

Woody the late 1970s KX125 case in the photo I posted has the arm at the top of the clutch bulge like the red KT photo and the 250cc KT prototype shown in the Don Smith book. Every KX250 I have seen has the arm at the front of the bulge. How can you say the KX125 cover is the same as the KX250?

Yes, sorry - mis-type, meant to say other 125 (400 also). The cylindrical part of the case where the arm sits is always much bigger on the bikes I've seen than it is on the red KT and the prototypes. On those, it's smaller and isn't the full width of the casing plus the arm, although on the top, is set further backwards.

• 2 weeks later...